Help Choosing the right truck EDvsHemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all, I am stuck with what to buy..... getting something this week I hope. I have been doing lots of research and still can't make a decision. I like the hemi of course. But to get gas mileage like the ecoD would be amazing. I did see a utube that the eco with tow haul enabled and traction off did about the same o-6O than the hemi.. can someone confirm this?

I do not tow for the most part. I will tow a single motorcycle trailer during the summer to go to the track, I might do 5-7 trips 2-4hrs each way. Is this alone grounds to opt for the ED? the rest of the time will be in town and a 40 min drive to work 2 times a week. not sure how to crunch the numbers to see if its smart to get the ed. I wanted a 15 Larime limited for the plush leather, but don't particularly like all that chrome. I also really like the sport model but will want the air suspension. And the sport doesn't come with ED. There are many models I don't know about. Again its my first truck and first domestic vehicle ever. only had German cars before.

Side question, does the hemi and eco preforms the same in snow or off road?

also someone had put into my head that the high torque on the Ed actually out accelerates the hemi do to getting the full torque right away at low rpm. He told me that on freeways its faster to accelerate than gas, any truth?

I have driven both, but now just confused as to what I need. How about if they were the same price? a dealer near me was advertising free diesel upgrade, so there's that.

Is there any issues with doing routine maintenance on ED vs hemi? Oil changes, alternators, etc..

Sorry for all the questions. And, please don't just say its just personal preference!! thanks all.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thing to throw out there, check the payload on the door jamb. Most Eco's have a lower payload and it's not like Rams have a great payload capacity to begin with. The real world mileage is unreal but I doubt an Eco will outrun a Hemi.........

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Have owned both and both are great trucks in their own right. The Hemi will spank the ED all day long, but the diesel will get killer economy! The ED is quieter cruising down the hwy too. I love my Hemi, and loved the diesel. Just depends on how you intend to use your truck.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I intend to use it as a daily drive, and maybe put about 10-12k miles a yrs. if my only concern is saving at the pump, is it worth it? Would a 10mpg difference between the two accurate for the most part? My little Benz right now does easy 28-30 highway, but only has a 15g tank. Does almost 400miles. I've never had a gas guzzler before, so I can't seem to envision the difference.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your debacle is that both will fit your lifestyle. Hahahahaha

So since you are primarily doing city driving why not get more hp and have some fun. Get a hemi with 3.92's and enjoy it ;)

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haha! Indeed. Some for gearing some models offer the 3.55 and others not? For fuel Econ the 3.21 is better yes? I thought the 3.92 was for towing.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was in the same toss-up. I ended up going with the Limited with HEMI. The deciding factor was (around where I am) there aren't many diesel carrying "gas" stations. I'd practically have to drive out of the city I'm in for fuel, and then there the road trip thing. I've never had to plan fuelling locations.

As far a sport vs limited, drive both, you'll notice the difference. Even the steering is smoother in the limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why do you think that is? The different wheels? If they both have air suspension would they be identical

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In the Limited, I can turn the wheel by blowing on it. It's not loose or warn feeling, just smooth like you wouldn't believe, other then the steering there are no noticeable handling differences. Now if you want to talk about a nice interior... look at a limited in person.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If it was me, I would go with the hemi. The Eco diesel will be a higher initial cost, as well as increased maintenance cost, don't forget about the DEF. Where I live diesel cost more than gasoline so the savings of the diesel might not even exist.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have the hemi now, but my next one will be the ecodiesel. Sure the hemi is fast, and sounds great, but it doesn't get great mileage. Compared to an ecodiesel that is.

If you buy a hemi get the 3.92 gears. You'll lose 1 mpg but the quickness is worth it. Drive trucks with both rear ends and you'll pick the 3.92 every time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha! Indeed. Some for gearing some models offer the 3.55 and others not? For fuel Econ the 3.21 is better yes? I thought the 3.92 was for towing.

We have yet to see a measurable difference between 3.55 and 3.92. Those gears vary your rpm by a couple hundred rpm at any given speed.
That said, even 3.21 with the 8spd behind it is awesome off the line, go gears are only one part of the equation.
Have you considered the additional maintenance costs associated specifically with the ED? It runs VERY expensive oil, and it is still a niche truck so aftermarket or replacement parts are not plentiful.(the dealer's gotcha)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
A coworker that recently retired had an ecoDiesel Crew Cab 4x4 and loved it (easily getting 25/30 mpg). I have a V6/8spd Crew 4x4 and get about 18/23 mpg (my first Dodge and first truck in a long time). No complaints on my Pentastar v6 either. Towed a 5x8 loaded uhaul plus full bed and Cab when moving, just myself, over the West Va mountains without issue.

A few notes to factor in:
- Maintenance; Hemi has 16 Spark plugs vs 6 in the v6 Pentastar, I assume 6 glow plugs in the ecoDiesel as well.

- DEF for the ecoDiesel is fairly cheap via Amazon.

- Didn't know about the engine oil. Curious what it used and how often it needs changed. Pentastar is about 7-10k miles.

- There is/was a premium for the ecoDiesel, about $3-4k I think, that will take 3-4 years to equal out. with the gas mileage savings.

-ecoDiesel has practically same torque as hemi and better mpg and HP than the Pentastar.

- watch out for the 4x4 "auto" transfer (bw44-45 vs bw44-44) case on the upper trim level trucks. It doesn't fully engage front wheels in 4wd lock immediately which irritates a lot of people and may over heat the clutch packs if it slips too much.

- get the backup camera option in the radio display or install later if you have the uc5.0/RA2 or higher radio.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
As it pertains to the oil change, I change my hemi every 8000 kms with full synthetic. The ecodiesel are changed at 15,000 kms. Double the kms almost so in my mind the like should be more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Did someone say coils on an ecodiesel? They may have glowplugs but no coils. Someone needs to do more homework!

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ED will get a decent increase in MPG. Maybe 5-7 MPG better on average.

But, the Hemi will walk all over the ED all day long. About 2 seconds faster in just the 0-60!

The ED really is all about the MPG. Its slower and tows less.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i can tell you that in mostly city type driving my hemi gets 12 mpg. on hwy i am seeing 20mpg, some times as high as 23.

i looked at the ED, but at the end of the day nothing accelerates or sounds like a v8 and thats what did it for me.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A coworker that recently retired had an ecoDiesel Crew Cab 4x4 and loved it (easily getting 25/30 mpg). I have a V6/8spd Crew 4x4 and get about 18/23 mpg (my first Dodge and first truck in a long time). No complaints on my Pentastar v6 either. Towed a 5x8 loaded uhaul plus full bed and Cab when moving, just myself, over the West Va mountains without issue.

A few notes to factor in:
- Maintenance; Hemi has 16 Spark plugs vs 6 in the v6 Pentastar, I assume 6 glow plugs in the ecoDiesel as well.

- DEF for the ecoDiesel is fairly cheap via Amazon.

- Didn't know about the engine oil. Curious what it used and how often it needs changed. Pentastar is about 7-10k miles.

- There is/was a premium for the ecoDiesel, about $3-4k I think, that will take 3-4 years to equal out. with the gas mileage savings.

-ecoDiesel has practically same torque as hemi and better mpg and HP than the Pentastar.

- watch out for the 4x4 "auto" transfer (bw44-45 vs bw44-44) case on the upper trim level trucks. It doesn't fully engage front wheels in 4wd lock immediately which irritates a lot of people and may over heat the clutch packs if it slips too much.

- get the backup camera option in the radio display or install later if you have the uc5.0/RA2 or higher radio.

What are you referi g to on the transfer case? I will prob get an upper trim model (is a sport upper?) , is there an option to change this?

Also the backup camera will come standard with the 8.4, was there something g different than that?

And yes I would love the fuel savong idea, again I'm rarely going to toe anything, and if I do it will only be a motorcycle trailer. I've never really taken a long road trip, i fly, I don't think I'll start now, but I will use it to take my boy camping and what have you Right now I average 10–12 K miles a year.
How much cheaper would the hemi have to be for me to not even consider the Eco. 5-7k?
I'm being offered really good deal for a fully loaded Laramie or sport below 35 with air sus.

Not sure what to do..... Then I have the 3.21 or 92 to deal with. Idk, maybe the Eco is a smarter idea.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It's a lot to way out and up to you entirely. I took almost a year of searching, test driving and negotiating before buying my 2013 CC in April 2014.

Here's the transfer case thread...
4x4 problem Ram 2013 8-speed