Help with heat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, need help trying to figure how to fix this issue. The dealer gave me the run around when I was under warranty and now out of warranty and they refuse to fix issue now.
Truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 sport...did have extended warranty. But, over now.
My temperature in my truck worked great when I bought it brand new, last year I noticed when I had the temperature all the way hot and would get to hot in the cab I would turn the temperature down to about half way between the blue and red so would lower temperature coming from vents it would still be very hot, like it was when all the way up. Only way to get it cool was to put all the way to blue and then back to a about mid way between blue and red or even little more to red. Then the truck would be blowing more warm then hot. But, this would only happen once in a while. Took to dealer and they said couldnt find the problem, but the truck was not doing it that day. They said bring back when doing it, I did and they said they were to busy and I would have to make another appointment. I explained they said to bring back when it was doing it, they said make an appointment. And of course warranty is now over and truck is doing it more and more. I took it in and they said now that warranty is up they can't cover it.
But, now the truck is doing it more and more, still works fine once in a while but the issue is now more constant. I want to get this fixed and refuse to give the dealer any money for this and hope to fix it myself.
Any ideas what the issue is? The dial itself? I have read something about blend door, but would that be it. Not sure why the issue would be once in a while.
Also, if the heat dial is not all the way to full right, all the way red, if it is say half way it just blows cool air not warm air, I have to put it full hot, then back to almost full blue then can put back to mid red for warm air.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a blend door to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapper23

Reaction score
Hello all, need help trying to figure how to fix this issue. The dealer gave me the run around when I was under warranty and now out of warranty and they refuse to fix issue now.
Truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 sport...did have extended warranty. But, over now.
My temperature in my truck worked great when I bought it brand new, last year I noticed when I had the temperature all the way hot and would get to hot in the cab I would turn the temperature down to about half way between the blue and red so would lower temperature coming from vents it would still be very hot, like it was when all the way up. Only way to get it cool was to put all the way to blue and then back to a about mid way between blue and red or even little more to red. Then the truck would be blowing more warm then hot. But, this would only happen once in a while. Took to dealer and they said couldnt find the problem, but the truck was not doing it that day. They said bring back when doing it, I did and they said they were to busy and I would have to make another appointment. I explained they said to bring back when it was doing it, they said make an appointment. And of course warranty is now over and truck is doing it more and more. I took it in and they said now that warranty is up they can't cover it.
But, now the truck is doing it more and more, still works fine once in a while but the issue is now more constant. I want to get this fixed and refuse to give the dealer any money for this and hope to fix it myself.
Any ideas what the issue is? The dial itself? I have read something about blend door, but would that be it. Not sure why the issue would be once in a while.
Also, if the heat dial is not all the way to full right, all the way red, if it is say half way it just blows cool air not warm air, I have to put it full hot, then back to almost full blue then can put back to mid red for warm air.
I would make a call to ram customer service and advise them of your issue. They are very helpful and have a lot of influence with dealerships. If I were you I would call them and take it to another dealership a d start fresh. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere and it is causing the temp control valve not to operate properly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
problem going to another dealership is it is out of warranty now.
And I can't afford to pay to get this fixed, I can fix myself if I can determine the issue.
Just that time of year
I might call Ram customer service to see what they say. But not keeping hopes up for this.

Just talked to a girl at Ram Customer service. She apologized and said nothing they can do at this point. She did put in a complaint to the dealership though.
So anyone think they know?
Firebuff...realy think it is blend door?
snapper23....how can I tell if it is vacuum leak and causing the temp control valve not to operate properly? The problem isn't always, but lately coming more constant everytime I drive truck. But after moving dial around I get a proper temperature.
Thank you

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had similar issues with my 3rd gen RAM. I fixed it with replacement parts from heater treater. Worked good up until heater core started to leak. Too costly to fix so I traded in and got my 14 RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It shouldn't cost more than about $50 to bring it to a dealer and ask them to run a HVAC calibration test. It sounds like your blend door actuator is sticking or intermittent bad spot in the actuator. Or just replace the blend actuator and retry. Part#68089742AA. About $42 for the actuator. You tube probably has a video. Just make sure you replace the right one. There are 3 actuators under the dash, all the same part#

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it probably would be a good idea to pay to have a diagnosis. The usual culprits are blend doors and/or actuators. For a 2012, that's getting to the age where it could be either (or both). I'd watch videos on youtube to see how it works.

My wife's Jeep had multiple issues when we bought it (used). It had 1x motor that was bad, and another one that the center gear was cracked (would slip on the shaft), and the main incoming air blend door was broke at the hinge. When that blend door behind the glove box hinge breaks it can sometimes completely fall down, or partially fall down and 80-100% of the outside air will enter the cabin down by the passenger's feet. I haven't looked on our Ram, but on other vehicles, you can usually find the area under the dash by the passenger's feet and look up through a grille and, using a flashlight, look straight up and see the blend door in question. Use a long piece of wire or screwdriver and poke it. You can usually see if it's still partially hinged or broken and has fallen right down to the grille grate. Turn your settings to 'heat' (no outside air) and the door should be closed. If you poke it and it flaps away then it's not preventing cold outside air from coming in.

Because it was extremely cold and my wife had it up to 'here' on the lack of heat, what I did on our Jeep was to work the blend door 'up' to where it should be, and created a prop-rod out of a piece of heavy wire. I sharpened both ends so they would 'stick' into and grip into the plastic (not slide off) and put a 'loop' bend in the center to give the wire some springiness to hold the door up tight against the seal with tension and keep outside air out. Problem Solved! I was going to remove the heater box but since she's been ok with it for the last 4 years... I also replaced the other two actuators which you can buy off ebay, Amazon or dealer. In my case, on a Jeep, they were fairly accessible with the glove box removed.

If you don't have a center console, you may be able to poke your head under there and view the actuators for movement. You may need an inspection mirror too. Just because they move doesn't mean the center nylong gear isn't cracked and 'slipping' on the shaft like mine was. Your symptoms kind of point to the heat/cool blend door not actuating properly. Again, might just be an actuator. But if there's cold air coming in it sort of overpowers what the heater can put out and makes it hard to tell what's going on, so check the outdoor air/ Recirc air blend door first..

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Not sure which Chryslers have the dual temp knobs like on the Caravans...BUT...There is a way to re-calibrate the blend system....Select the option for the dash vent only...With the fan off, turn the temp knobs to the cool position...Turn the fan on HIGH...Then symotaniously turn both temp knobs together to full HOT and then back to full COOL multiple times till you can feel both driver and passenger vents blowing the same temp air...

Last edited:

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
subscribed, my 2012 crew cab sport had the same issue randomly.