Help: I bought my truck last month and my tags are due?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrowles91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, I bought my truck last month and just received my plate with tags expiring Oct 15, 2015! What gives? I've bought many new and used cars from dealers and have never had to purchase tags within a month of purchase. Is this a new thing or something? I assume tags will be around $500 and I haven't made a payment yet.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Call the dealer! They should be until 2016....keep the temp plate until you get it fixed...or if it expired, ask the dealer for another one.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something ain't right....................

Kusmit 88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I bought my truck last month and just received my plate with tags expiring Oct 15, 2015! What gives? I've bought many new and used cars from dealers and have never had to purchase tags within a month of purchase. Is this a new thing or something? I assume tags will be around $500 and I haven't made a payment yet.
The temp tag might expire than but you should be receiving your actual plate in the mail

OP
OP
J

jrowles91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I should specify I bought it used.

I called them and they said the tags expire a year from originally purchased (truck was bought new Oct 2014). I paid for a year tags but will get refunded for 10 months, since I'll only have the truck 2.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I called them and they said the tags expire a year from originally purchased (truck was bought new Oct 2014). I paid for a year tags but will get refunded for 10 months, since I'll only have the truck 2.

Yeah...you get may get refunded 10 months, but it ain't gonna be as much as you think. They pro-rate that stuff here.

And it still sounds very strange....why the heck didn't they just issue you new plates when you bought it ?? That way they get 12 months from you, and they get to keep the 2 months already paid on the previous plates that are no longer being used.

Sounds really really fishy....like someone is pulling a scam...or maybe the dealer transferred a plate to you, and it expires in 2 months.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ahh..well that makes more sense. Looks like your paying for tags again.

Make sure you get that refund.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
....why the heck didn't they just issue you new plates when you bought it ?? That way they get 12 months from you, and they get to keep the 2 months already paid on the previous plates that are no longer being used.

heh heh heh!! The Dealer doesn't make the rules, the DMV does,,,

But, a person could always take the issue down to your local DMV and plea your case,, (like they would care!!! :roflsquared:)

OP
OP
J

jrowles91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alright guys, well I feel slightly better. Appreciate all your feedback.

Better get my check!

Thanks again

blu4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar experience. My tags were correct as its a new truck, but my inspection runs out next month in October and I just bought it in August. lmao why didn't they just put a new inspection sticker on it before I left. No worries though as I get free inspections for life through the dealer. I just found it a little silly on their part.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer had the truck registers the first time they sold it, this falls on the dealership to re imburse you since they didn't renew the plates. Just go talk to them they will probably just reimburse you for the amount since they clearly didn't tell you. They prolly didn't think the tags where that close to expiring and figured when it came time you wouldn't even notice.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Each state has different laws on tags...some states the tags stay with the vehicle, some they stay with the owner, some you have to get new tags each time you change vehicles. We just ran into that here in TX...put new tags on my wife's car in May then bought her a new Jeep Compass last week and had to get new tags again because you can't transfer tags from one vehicle to another. Besides, according to the state website, Texas changes their license plate design every 7 years.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

OP
OP
J

jrowles91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The dealer had the truck registers the first time they sold it, this falls on the dealership to re imburse you since they didn't renew the plates. Just go talk to them they will probably just reimburse you for the amount since they clearly didn't tell you. They prolly didn't think the tags where that close to expiring and figured when it came time you wouldn't even notice.

This is exactly what they said when I called them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye