Help with resistors on 3rd brake light & license plate lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know some of you know the answers to my questions so I hope you will help me. I just put in a brighter (non can-bus) LED light in my 3rd brake light and I’m getting the “brake light out” message. I had a can-bus one in there, but it wasn’t bright enough and it still give me the “brake light out” message anyway. I also had some small LED license plate lights laying around and I threw those in and, yup you guessed it, I’m getting the “license plate light out” message on start up. I can ignore the messages, but if I can fix it and still keep my LEDs then I would. I’ve searched the internet and know that I need resistors installed to create more load. So, on to my questions.

1. What size resistors do I need for the 3rd brake light and license plate lights?....100 OHM 1 watt?

2. I don’t want to splice wires, so else can I install them? I saw some people pushing the resistor wires in the bulb socket on the license plate bulbs and on the connecter on the 3rd brake light….what are the correct wire colors to put the resistor wire on?

3. Will the resistors be big enough to worry about heat damage?

I really appreciate as much help as any of you can give me. Like I said, I could just live with the messages I get on start up, but rather not if possible. Thanks!:favorites13:

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Enlight auto.com check them out.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, just realized I posted this in the "General Discussion"...should be in "Audio & Electronics" I think.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the ones from forum vendor enlight automotive and be done with it. Plenty bright, no error, easy as pie. I just put their bulbs in my license plate, reverse lights, and cargo/3rd brake light on my 2015 and I love them.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I did a PNP fix for the third brake-light without using resistors, which would work for you, but was primarily intended for replacing the whole third brake light assembly. While it may seem primitive the system is looking for the resistance provided by an incandescent bulb so I gave it one. Since the bulb is hidden behind the fixture you never see it. It plugs in line between the truck and the fixture no splicing no tapiing wires just plug it in and put it back together, error gone.

http://www.ramforum.com/f21/error_message_harness_led_chmsl-75515/

http://www.ramforum.com/f146/mopar_...light_cargo_cam_all_trucks-50773/index18.html

Last edited: