HELP. Trans Issues! Need guidance!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
SO ill try to keep this short.

Recently (within the last 3000kms) 90,000kms now, my 13 ram 5.7, 6 speed, will hard shift and jump around gears 4-6 while highway driving sending a P0734 code and sometimes go into limp mode leaving me with only 4th gear and reverse.

I did some research and came up with shifting solenoids as usual cause for this issue and mileage on my truck. I took it to the dealer and they changed them and valve body. BUT the issue is still active and even sent my truck into limp mode TWICE in 20 kms (having to pull over and turn truck on/off to get gears back)

Anyone got some recommendations or experience with a similar issue? So perhaps i could mention it to the dealer when i take my truck back?

I know how some things work but .. transmissions stuff.. not my forte

Ive seen 808ram1500 's post and maybe theyre related? maybe not. idk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they give you the old parts that they removed?? I had an 02 Chevy that did the same thing, changed both solinoids and everything was back to normal. That’s strange that it threw a code for it and the repair didn’t clear. Did the dealer test drive it after the repair?

OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Did they give you the old parts that they removed?? I had an 02 Chevy that did the same thing, changed both solinoids and everything was back to normal. That’s strange that it threw a code for it and the repair didn’t clear. Did the dealer test drive it after the repair?

No they didn't as my truck still needs more work done to it and that issue wasn't resolved I never got a receipt or old Parts back. They drove it for a 50 kms and said it was good to go, but I didn't make it 5 before I got the same problem..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
P0734 is incorrect gear ratio in 4th gear. Chances are your transmission has an internal failure causing it to slip. A incorrect gear ratio error is rarely caused by the solenoid pack.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck, hope mine doesn't do that. Good luck

OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
P0734 is incorrect gear ratio in 4th gear. Chances are your transmission has an internal failure causing it to slip. A incorrect gear ratio error is rarely caused by the solenoid pack.
Yeah, that's what my code reader said too. "Apparently" the dealership got in touch with Chrysler engineering and that's what they came up with to as a fix.. Having some doubts but at least I got new ones now!

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes a flakey speed sensor or poor connection will cause the computer to think there is a gear ratio problem (the rpm vs output speed is not as it expected).

OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Sometimes a flakey speed sensor or poor connection will cause the computer to think there is a gear ratio problem (the rpm vs output speed is not as it expected).
I'll be sure to mention that. The problem is that sometimes it's intermittent but now seems full on.. Seems fitting for an electrical issue or sensor?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'll be sure to mention that. The problem is that sometimes it's intermittent but now seems full on.. Seems fitting for an electrical issue or sensor?

There are two speed sensors, an input and output. If it was a intermittent sensor/electrical issue you wouldn’t just be getting a gear ratio error in 4th dtc. That code is specific to 4th gear. Usually with speed sensor faults you would get circuit low/high codes or the fault would be set for 1st gear. From my experience I doubt its a speed sensor or electrical fault.

Based on your symptoms and the singular gear ratio error, I’d be dropping the pan to check for shiny metal bits. The 65RFE also has a habit of the accumulators busting out of the valve body, which would be seen when the pan is removed.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would bring it back to the dealer, unless you are out of warranty.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, likely an internal failure. Take it back to the dealer (or a transmission shop) and have them do more checking as tach-tech mentioned. Accumulator covers, tower seals, accumulator pistons, check balls, leaky clutch circuits, worn clutch could all be an issue. I would have thought they would have noticed any debris when they replaced the solenoid pack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
There are two speed sensors, an input and output. If it was a intermittent sensor/electrical issue you wouldn’t just be getting a gear ratio error in 4th dtc. That code is specific to 4th gear. Usually with speed sensor faults you would get circuit low/high codes or the fault would be set for 1st gear. From my experience I doubt its a speed sensor or electrical fault.

Based on your symptoms and the singular gear ratio error, I’d be dropping the pan to check for shiny metal bits. The 65RFE also has a habit of the accumulators busting out of the valve body, which would be seen when the pan is removed.
The second time I took my truck into the dealership, they dropped the pan and did a "transmission service" and reported nothing to be the matter. No shiny bits or shavings.. Then again I got dicked around a lot by this particular dealership..

Today or tomorrow its going back until they figure it out as I still have 6 days left of powertrain warranty [emoji16] but it still bugs the crap out of me having a broken truck.

OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Yes, likely an internal failure. Take it back to the dealer (or a transmission shop) and have them do more checking as tach-tech mentioned. Accumulator covers, tower seals, accumulator pistons, check balls, leaky clutch circuits, worn clutch could all be an issue. I would have thought they would have noticed any debris when the replaced the solenoid pack.
Thank you your advice. I'm unsure of what their next steps are going to be but I'll be sure to mention what you have recommended.

OP
OP
Eww707

Eww707

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
I would bring it back to the dealer, unless you are out of warranty.
That's the plan, got 6 days left [emoji106] had until the 30th haha