Helping Friend pick Chevy or Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Lol you think dodge doesn't have that issue? I read 2014 had some issues. Sure they got most ironed out by now

Every make has it to some degree, just if you hung on the Chevy forums enough, you would see the frequency of problems those latest generation Chevy's had was way over represented.

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Every make has it to some degree, just if you hung on the Chevy forums enough, you would see the frequency of problems those latest generation Chevy's had was way over represented.

Even if it were an ongoing issue which I doubt it is, I'd take that over the notorious highway speed wind noise rams are plagued with. And the driveline viberation felt in the pedals nobody can seem to figure out. And I'm not the only one here. What has me most upset is this truck is a 7 year old design. Chrysler has had ample time to fix any engineering flaws. I bought this truck expecting to have a solid machine without having to worry about recalls. I've had the truck for 3 months. I've received multiple notices in the mail for recalls. I've never gotten recall notices l like this ever. I also have a 3 month lead time to get the truck into a service center around here. GM And Ford do not have this issue. Not even close I checked. And nobody knows what to do about the vibration and the wind noise is "normal" on these trucks. Sounds like my windows are rolled down on the highway. $50,000 truck that I have to crank the stereo on the road in order to keep my sanity.

z28th1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Case closed.

Agreed!

You also have to pay extra on the Chevy and Ford to get the wheel well liners!

Nothing looks worse than a white colored Chevy truck from the side view and all you can see is that huge wheel to fender gap and the inside of the white painted bed.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sad, that some of you are having issues with your Ram. I wish the best of luck to you. I have an early 14' and just have the airbag zip tie issue more or less. Big deal... My dash, doesn't rattle, I have NO CLUE what this wind noise is you guys are talking about. It's pretty quiet in my truck and I definitely can't hear any road noise with the volume on 5 or 6 which is pretty low. The 5.7 is just as reliable as the 5.3, been there done that with my old 2006 Hemi, which had 262,000 miles and I blew a head gasket trying to limp it to my work with a blown radiator and water jugs. Original radiator I might add....

I have had nothing but **** LUCK with Chevys in general, especially their underpowered 4.8/5.3 trucks. The interior is cheap, and while it does look decent it never holds up. I haven't seen the 15' year models yet so there is hope still. The 6.2/8spd is a killer package but you will pay dearly for it! The ram is just a better deal all around. If I was to get another truck besides a RAM, it would be a F-150 or Tundra. I will NEVER buy a GM product ever...

new_hemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drove a 2001 chevy 1500 bare bones truck for 12 years. Never had any major issues. All I did was change the oil and put gas in it and it ran like a champ. Sold that, bought a 2010 challenger, wanted another truck, and bought my '14 Ram 1500. I don't have any of the problems I read about on here, guess I got one of the good ones. Also, any other truck I looked at cost a hell of a lot more then my Ram with less options.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This was my buying experience a few months ago....

If buying a ford.. you have to get a lariat or up. The rest of them are total **** shows. so that's roughly 38-55k depending on configurations. On the lariat you can avoid most of the extra tech bs, unless you want all that blind spot and 360 camera and what not. While I do think some of it is cool, having 16 cameras on the truck just sounds like an expensive insurance policy and repair. Some dbag bumps into you in the parking lot, bust your side view camera, now what? Plus the windshield is at a weird angle, I felt like I was getting weird reflections and my perspective of the road just felt off.

If buying a GM.. I would get a loaded LT/SLE model (leather if you want, its basically free on the LT2 package), has all the things you would really want without any of that extra bs like lane change assist and crap that you KNOW gm cant maintain. That will be broken in no time. And im dead serious about those overhead light switches. Whoever owns one, look me in the face and tell me that isnt the cheapest piece of crap you have ever seen. You are looking at 32-42k depending on configurations.

If buying a RAM... lots of options? Even the express is pretty decent. No one is touch a loaded big horn either in terms of options vs price. They are WAY ahead of the game in the mid level trucks. And the longhorn scoffs at the denali/platinum IMO. Better gearing options for RAM (3.92s) and the RAM 8 spd drives like a champ. Price range 30-55k depending.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it hasn't been said yet... the RAM is sexiest and most masculine looking truck out there, hands down; not to mention the power.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Two trucks ago I had an 07 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6L... and it was a TOUGH truck. It was LT trim, so mid grade, and was POWERFUL and in 60000kms I never did more than it's oil changes.. sold it at 90k kms and the brakes were only half used. Now this was an HD truck that I used as a grocery getter. I ended up with it because I got a deal I couldn't turn down it. Ended up dumping it for $3k more than I paid and bought my 05 Laramie, and now the 2014.

If I had to put money on it, I would bet my 07 Silverado HD will b on the road longer than my 14 ram.. it was seriously just that tough.

As far as refinement, styling, ride, features, and overall pleasure to drive, I'll take my 2014 ram any day. And this 3.92/8 spd truck would walk that 6L no problem.

TSTHokie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I was shopping for my truck at the end of 2013, I knew I was buying used. I compared the big 3. GM trucks while nice looking, didn't seem to hold up as well over time. The Fords(and I'm a diehard Ford guy, have 2 Fords sitting at home and have always owned Fords, and one Mazda) are great trucks, buy WAAAAAY overpriced. The Ram was just right, in the words of Goldielocks. The right price with the right features. It sounded mean with the factory duals, looks mean, and rides like a car, I love it! Ended up buying a 2012 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L, ST trim level, and have never looked back. Almost 2 years with Rhonda, and she doesn't have a rattle and I don't have a single complaint!

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i got my ram specifically because it was a 1/2 ton that has a diesel. ive been waiting for this combination forever!

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
first time truck guy. it was a big toss up for me.

i like the way the chevy looks, especially the front end. the rest of the truck didn't work for me

ford, i really wanted to get a ford honestly, high end lariat, or platinum for the massaging seats. But all the dealers in my area ****** me around. Won't give me a internet price, or won't honor the internet price. went as far out as 200 miles away and i still get the same crap.

dodge, own a 2014 durango and very impressed with it so far. So figure i'd look into the Ram. Ended up with a rebel. Price was right for the features i get. Really love the bang for buck, especially when it comes to interiors. I think in the entire segment it is very hard to match up with Ram when it comes to interior quality.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Even if it were an ongoing issue which I doubt it is, I'd take that over the notorious highway speed wind noise rams are plagued with. And the driveline viberation felt in the pedals nobody can seem to figure out. And I'm not the only one here. What has me most upset is this truck is a 7 year old design. Chrysler has had ample time to fix any engineering flaws. I bought this truck expecting to have a solid machine without having to worry about recalls. I've had the truck for 3 months. I've received multiple notices in the mail for recalls. I've never gotten recall notices l like this ever. I also have a 3 month lead time to get the truck into a service center around here. GM And Ford do not have this issue. Not even close I checked. And nobody knows what to do about the vibration and the wind noise is "normal" on these trucks. Sounds like my windows are rolled down on the highway. $50,000 truck that I have to crank the stereo on the road in order to keep my sanity.

I am not here to argue who is the bigger POS.

Go buy a Chebby.

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am not here to argue who is the bigger POS.

Go buy a Chebby.

Don't take it personal, I'm just sharing my experience and why I would do things differently if I had a do over. I would have traded in but most of us know these trucks don't have the best resale value so this will be something that I'll have to deal with..

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for the multitude of recalls - you can thank the new NHTSA chief and the Toyota/GM scandals - they are cracking down on EVERYTHING that might not be a problem but should be investigated. Every manufacturer is getting recalls over little things now...

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
At least you aren't considering a Titan. I think we can all agree those suck lol

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up buying a 2012 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L, ST trim level, and have never looked back. Almost 2 years with Rhonda, and she doesn't have a rattle and I don't have a single complaint!

Yup.

I don't have any of these complaints the guys are expressing here.

My 12' has had a broken exhaust bolt, that's it.

No rattles, no loud wind noise(surprisingly quiet if you ask me)

My only quirk is the cig-lighter ports are a lil loose, but that's just piddly stupid ****.

autobotgears

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
put 2 0r 3 small tiny elastic bands where it is loose, I had loose ones too and this makes it perfect.