Hemi vs pentastar ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't imagine stepping down to the v6.. extremely underpowered imo.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Pentastar will do all you need for certain. The Pentastar with the 8 speed will put the 5.7 speed to shame if you're talking mileage. Also, that little six-popper is close to the old 5.4L Triton from the Fords that, until the last few years, was the towing general in their half ton line. Here's the kicker to me- the Hemi may be worth the extra 3k kick in for you and extra tax just so you don't have buyers remorse. Only you can decide that. I am not bashing the Pentastar. Everyone seems really pleased with it but I have no personal experience with them. I gravitated straight to the Hemi because I am a little old school about it. Big V8 in my truck making a big hole in the ozone. Just personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a 3.6L 4x4...love it.

I think you are kinda answering your own questions on what you need. I feel like most of the folks who will have something negative to say probably haven't driven one.

You'll be well within your towing capacity for your trailer, you'll get the bigger cab (you need) and you'll get better gas mileage.

If a car seat not fitting has you looking for a different truck, your needs probably won't match up to many folks opinions on here.

I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
I previously had a 2013 HEMI/6spd Express CC 4x4 that i got a great deal on ($26,500) and couldn't stand the avg gas mileage (13mpg) but it was fun to drive. Traded it in 4mos later ($29,000) on a 2013 SLT V6/8spd CC 4x4 ($29,400) and couldn't be happier especially with the upgraded trim level (18mpg city now and I'm not terribly light on the foot). I posted more details/review of it back when I first joined somewhere around here.

The HEMI with the 8spd will get better mpg than that old 6spd, but it costs more and the Pentastar had been more than enough for my daily driver needs.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Pentastar will do all you need for certain. The Pentastar with the 8 speed will put the 5.7 speed to shame if you're talking mileage. Also, that little six-popper is close to the old 5.4L Triton from the Fords that, until the last few years, was the towing general in their half ton line. Here's the kicker to me- the Hemi may be worth the extra 3k kick in for you and extra tax just so you don't have buyers remorse. Only you can decide that. I am not bashing the Pentastar. Everyone seems really pleased with it but I have no personal experience with them. I gravitated straight to the Hemi because I am a little old school about it. Big V8 in my truck making a big hole in the ozone. Just personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

If the gas here was the same price as yours I will choose the hemi without any question. But even at those low prices around 3.60$ a gallon ( liter to gallon conversion ) and 4.50$-5.20$ a gallon in last years average plus the 300$ over taxe for big engines , I'm wondering if I made a good choice by taking the hemi for my 2014.

The pentastar will lower the price of the truck and make it more negociable since they are less wanted trucks.

But I will not choose the pentastar only on the lower price since I believe it will loose value faster. If the pentastar take really less fuel I will concider it. From what I read here it will. I will need to contact the dealer today to get the final price of the trade.

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad had a QC pentastar and was doing about 17.5 with mixed driving. I have a QC Hemi and do between 14 and 17 depending on the weather and my driving. Keep in mind he is 53 and I am 22 I think hes got a bit of a lighter foot than I do at this point in his life. He kicked himself in the ass the entire life of the lease and when i bought my hemi he traded his lease in early

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i had a '13 cc with the v6 and 8sp trans i liked it. the only reason i went to a hemi was i upgraded to the laramie from an outdoorsman. i would average close to 75 miles more a tank on the v6 both of my trucks have the 25 gal tank.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A graph to describe the coolness of both engines. It is very scientific, the top graph is your coolness graphed out if you have a Hemi, and the bottom graph is your coolness if you own a V6.

th

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If the gas here was the same price as yours I will choose the hemi without any question. But even at those low prices around 3.60$ a gallon ( liter to gallon conversion ) and 4.50$-5.20$ a gallon in last years average plus the 300$ over taxe for big engines , I'm wondering if I made a good choice by taking the hemi for my 2014.

The pentastar will lower the price of the truck and make it more negociable since they are less wanted trucks.

But I will not choose the pentastar only on the lower price since I believe it will loose value faster. If the pentastar take really less fuel I will concider it. From what I read here it will. I will need to contact the dealer today to get the final price of the trade.

Can't argue that. If mileage were on my list- you can bet your *** I wouldn't be driving a 6.4L, or even a 5.7L. Might as well have a hole in the tank :/

There are a lot of sacrifices a man makes for his family and kids, and honestly if the Pentastar fits your budget, needs and over-all cost of ownership- it might be the first one to make. And honestly, I don't really think you'd be sacrificing much. For the first few (read 10) years the only sound coming out of the back of that truck will be the little one and you'll be more concerned with how to keep them quiet :roflsquared:

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

We will have a baby this fall. I tried a rear facing seat in my quad and it barely fit in the middle.

I asked my dealer, and they could change my truck for a crew for no fees but it got a v6.

I really love my hemi but the gas is super high here, and the gov ask now a big engine taxe, so my truck cost me near 600$ per year vs 233$ for a car with an engine below 4.0L

So I don't know what to do. I have a 5000 lb ( real loaded weight) travel trailer. But I can sell it ...

But the real question is there is a huge difference in mpg between a hemi 6 speed and a penta 8 speed ( 4x4 both )

Do you need the bed of a truck? If not, look at a Jeep GC with a penta + 8 speed. 500-1000 pounds lighter than a CC Ram. Fun to drive. Just as good (if not better) in crappy road conditions, WAY better fuel econ (compared to ANY GAS Ram), and your baby seat should fit without a problem. And it's rated to tow up to 6200lbs with the tow package.
The things you're giving up : ground clearance, bed payload, ??

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Don't forget the Rams ride like a luxury car inho....I have a Wrangler which I am trading in late this week...I will not be towing anything, but have always like pick up trucks...got myself a Hemi too...Jeeps are notorious for bad gas milage...I have the 2012, 6 cylinder is its not better than the V8 Ram...I guess its a matter of what u like at the given moment...

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Would be nice if they made a V7...lol

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
my 14 Ram Sport rcsb Hemi 4x4 21.6 mpg's
my 15 Ram R/T rcsb Hemi 4x2 20.3 mpg's

That's all good luck

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
In your situation I think the V6 is what you need.
Like another poster said, look at a SUV if you don't need the truck bed.

I have no problem with V6, I have a boosted one that will run circles around many V8s. But every time I start my truck, I always get a little giddy. Just nothing like V8..

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To down the road, the resale value of the hemi would be much higher for him than the v6.

That and the fact that he is trying to get that 15 off the lot cause nobody bought it because it's not a hemi.

It's up to you but for me MPG is not that far apart...and unless is a fully loaded crew cab, I might look at something else...doesn't hurt to shop around. Yes I know he is family, but he also needs to pay the bills. Just go to another place, see what they can do for you in a crew cab. Comparison shopping will help you and you can get a better deal from it or pice match it.

I feel your pain...I have a quad cab and I have 2 kids (9 year old and a 11 year old) and I can clearly see they are getting too big back there and don't have enough room it was fine for them almost 4 years ago. So when I decide for another one, I'm ******...but hopefully, I will get me a sedan (hope they do well with a charger redesign) when that happens.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I had an 07 4.7, this v6 whips that things butt but I know the 4.7 did improve in 08. But do they even offer the 4.7 any more?

2013 was the last year of the 4.7.