Hemi vs pentastar ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
To down the road, the resale value of the hemi would be much higher for him than the v6.

That and the fact that he is trying to get that 15 off the lot cause nobody bought it because it's not a hemi.

It's up to you but for me MPG is not that far apart...and unless is a fully loaded crew cab, I might look at something else...doesn't hurt to shop around. Yes I know he is family, but he also needs to pay the bills. Just go to another place, see what they can do for you in a crew cab. Comparison shopping will help you and you can get a better deal from it or pice match it.

I feel your pain...I have a quad cab and I have 2 kids (9 year old and a 11 year old) and I can clearly see they are getting too big back there and don't have enough room it was fine for them almost 4 years ago. So when I decide for another one, I'm ******...but hopefully, I will get me a sedan (hope they do well with a charger redesign) when that happens.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had to get the crew cab 'cause me son's car seat wouldn't fit in a quad.

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
Don't do it!!!!!! Me and a friend used his v6 to tow my motorcycle trailer down to Daytona from NY. With two bikes and gear in a covered trailer the thing was slower than a Honda insight. The lack of power was unbelievable especially going up the slightest incline. My hemi whips that trailer around like its not even there. I understand mpg isn't great on the hemi but that's why it has soo much power. Your not going to find a Prius towing what a hemi can. My advice is keep the truck. I was able to fit a rear facing seat on the passenger side by sliding the pass srst forward. When I had a front seat passenger who needed the room for an extended period of time I just moved the seat to the middle for the trip. Kids aren't in rear facing seats for a prolonged period especially if you plan on keeping the truck for 7-10 years. Once the kid is able to front face its a non issue. Keep the truck you have and you'll be happier in the long run.

Schwinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I drove the penta for about 10-20 km , It feel not bad, the power was far from my hemi, but it wasn't bad. But It wasn't enough to give me a good idea especially on the mpg.

But both of them was quad cab. I was wondering about the v6 in a crew cab 6'4" bed. It's maybe too much for the v6 ? especially with a 4x4 ?

But the main reason I want to change it's for the crew ( not at any cost I don't want a 10k debt on the swap) That's one of the reason I was looking for the penta. I know I don't need the hemi, even If I really love it haha.

In Ontario you can't get the V6 with the long bed crew. You sure you can there? At least, you can't build one on the website.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My pentastar gets around just fine and tows like a champ. I pull a 3500lb trailer several times a week in the summer and it doesn't complain. Uphill or anything else. Mileage is fine.

It is not like the old 3.7.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend of mine has a 13' 1500 v6 8 spd CC for a company vehicle(does construction) got it brand new 2 years ago an has close to 100k miles on it been a good truck, he's always carrying 3-4 other co workers/tool box/ an other tools etc an it's been a good truck. Gets way better mpg then his old QC 4.7 did

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Do you know the ratio on the v6? I have the 3.55 and I hear it is a huge difference between the 3.55 and the 3.21

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thinks this comes down to how often you tow. Is a just a few times a year or do you see yourself towing regularly? If you only have to deal with the towing issue a few times a year then get the v6.

I know life changes dramatically when you have kids, will you be using the travel trailer or maybe you have thoughts of getting rid of it because you won't be using it?

I would buy for the rule not the exception.

I applaud you for making your children the priority.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I finally decided to stick with my quad cab. I have done some upgrade and l don't want to loose them.

What make my final decision was I that I found a seat that fit well in a quad cab. Also I thought at first that I could transfert my extented warranty but they can't. So the price they gave me at first was without it.

picture.php

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I finally decided to stick with my quad cab. I have done some upgrade and l don't want to loose them.

What make my final decision was I that I found a seat that fit well in a quad cab. Also I thought at first that I could transfert my extented warranty but they can't. So the price they gave me at first was without it.

picture.php
Mind sharing the info on the seat? I may find myself in the same situation this year if everything goes according to plan.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mind sharing the info on the seat? I may find myself in the same situation this year if everything goes according to plan.

Look for the diono Rainier , or the diono radian rxt.

I choose the rainier because it was the only one availble at my store and I could make an order but there was no promotion on it, so the radian was only 20$ less than the rainier and it seems better, not so much, but for 20$ I didn't take the risk. Diono Rainier vs. Radian RXT Comparison: What's the Difference?

I don't think I will regret my choice to stay with my quad cab. I still have plenty of room. Also they have a foam to make them a little bit more vertical, and I'm almost sure you can fit it behind a seat without having the knees in the dash. I put it in the center for the test and It will stay there, except If I got twins haha. I still have some time before we know. haha

Last edited:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
ok im not reading through all this BS, i'm just going to come out and say it..

Buy a minivan!

If you can sell the trailer, can deal with no 4wd get a Grand Caravan NOW, while they are trying to get them off the lots before they are discontinued. ESPECIALLY if this is not the only kid your going to have in the next 3-5 years.

I just had a kid last summer, we bought my wife a Compass before the kid arrived, just traded it in for a GC... best decision we ever made, and let me say no matter how much I knocked minivans before they are bad ass when you have a need for them, and trust me you WILL have a need for that much room.. plus if you ever get put in the dog house just go out in the driveway and watch a movie in the van lol <-- no lie, done this already :)

How are you going to cart around the baby's bags, toys, pack n' play, I traded for a CC when I saw I couldnt fit the car seat. THEN think about hollidays, you drive to the inlaws or whatever, you have all the **** I mentioned above and good ole father in law decides its time your kid needs one of those big ass little tikes club house things, PLUS all your other presents, and left overs. its snowing/raining hell **** storm outside and you have a 30-40 min drive home - whatchu gonna do? throw it in the bed? think about it..

PS/EDIT: nvm i read up 2 posts and saw you said fk it.. lol, well i hope my words of wisdom help some one else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can't afford it. I agree the mini van is the best for kids. I had a grand caravan at my job and it's doing great.

For the short term we want only 1 kid. We will see later for a second, but when will there my truck will be paid and old . It's already 2.5 year old. Or we will trade the kia rio wife's car for a mini van lol.

I have a camper shell so all the stuff go there and have no problem with the weather.

If my parents had a Toyota tercel when I was a kid, it sure I could deal with a quad cab and a 6'4'' bed with camper shell lol.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Tuche, just trying to get everyone else to buy one cause im pumped hahaha. good luck with the kid man, congrats!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For the short term we want only 1 kid. We will see later for a second, but when will there my truck will be paid and old.

Well, I'm rooting for you on that, but if experience has taught me anything it is once momma gets the baby-bug, it's on like Donkey Kong.

I finally figured out what was causing it after our third. We stopped washing our pants together.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

SethO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6
I'd also like the info on the seat. I'll be needing one very soon.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd also like the info on the seat. I'll be needing one very soon.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Scroll up to post #51. He linked the seat.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
If going with the V6 QC, opt for the 3.55 rear end.

Demand for the V8 much greater than V6 for any configuration.

Ran across a dealer that had two new V6s in inventory for over a year.
Dealer was giving bed liner, side rails & trailer hitch at no up charge.

The truck needed a new battery and oil change before it was ever sold.
Oil is only good for one year even with no engine run time.