High mileage 8spd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys, in a year or so i plan on trading my 16 for what will be a longterm truck. I've always been a ram guy but the thought of 200k+kms on a non-serviceable transmission is somewhat concerning. I tow my sxs and atv frequently, haul lots of firewood and tow our 8k lbs travel trailer a few times a year. What are your thoughts on it? Any high mileage 8spd's out there?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can service them. The owners manual tells us that it is not necessary but you can drop the pan and change the filter and some of the fluid anytime you want. A dealer can also do a trans fluid exchange if you want to get all the fluid out too.

I tow a TT and there is no way my fluid will be left in there for the life of the trans.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have to remember that some of the old school mindsets are going out the window on a daily basis because of changes in technologies and general engineering. Dipsticks have been vanishing at a rate faster than freebies at a taco stand. Oil change intervals have gone from the old days of 2000 miles to 10K on many vehicles, all without detrimental effects.

As when I see phrases like "for the life of the ***" I understand it to mean, "until the *** fails, stupid". However even catastrophic failures on major components are few and far between. When I was first driving you automatically dumps a vehicle before it hit 100K, generally at 60-70K. A dozen years ago I purchased a used vehicle with 125K on it and had no qualms doing so. And when I sold it at 155K the new owner was also unconcerned about the mileage.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Evidently the filter is built into the pan assembly so if you want to change filters you have to buy the pan also. I think the cost is between $300-$400 and then you have the fluid on top of that. I think that I read on here that at least one member has done the filter and pan change on a new model.
Jay

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have to remember that some of the old school mindsets are going out the window on a daily basis because of changes in technologies and general engineering. Dipsticks have been vanishing at a rate faster than freebies at a taco stand. Oil change intervals have gone from the old days of 2000 miles to 10K on many vehicles, all without detrimental effects.

As when I see phrases like "for the life of the ***" I understand it to mean, "until the *** fails, stupid". However even catastrophic failures on major components are few and far between. When I was first driving you automatically dumped a vehicle before it hit 100K, generally at 60-70K. A dozen years ago I purchased a used vehicle with 125K on it and had no qualms doing so. And when I sold it at 155K the new owner was also unconcerned about the mileage.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
some guys are changing out the fluid at 75000 miles. their reasoning is that is the interval for a few other brands, LR?, are suggesting this as they are using ZF trans. there are also a couple of metal pan replacements on the market if you don't like the plastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How do you refill them? When they first came out i thought everyone was saying the trans had to be dropped to refill?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
double post--sorry

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there is a fill port on the driver's side up by the top. You have to pump the fluid in.
Jay

coldstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 QC Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did a filter/fluid change last month on the 8 speed in my '14 with 62k miles. It was pretty easy, particularly if you are the type that performs minor maintenance DIY. I found the new pan (mopar, same as OEM) with integral filter on-line for about $120. I bought the MOPAR 8 spd fluid, same as the ZF stuff. Was quoted $36/qt at the dealer, found it on ebay for $21/qt. bought 6 qts, used about 4.5qts. Also ebayed a cheap hand pump for the quart bottles. You'll need this to pump new fluid in. Get on youtube there are a couple of helpful video posts. So, DIY, I had about $270 in the job.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the zf six speed in some of my Aussie ford 1 tonners.
They also specify no maintenance required.
However I change fluid and filter every 60000km.
Steel pans are standard on the pickup but sedan has the plastic pan.
I currently have one with 910000km on the transmission.
I use a fully synthetic transmission oil, not zf or ford branded.
I strongly suggest you change oil regularly as even zf only specify 110000km for their transmission oil.....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I transport TTs boats & boat trailers from the manufactures to their dealerships using a 14 Ram Econodiesel with 8 speed trans. (because fuel is the single biggest expense & directly affects ye ole profit line) Truck tows all day everyday like a big truck. Transmission is getting worn more noticeable when not in tow haul but still hanging in at 430,000 miles. I change the fluid every 100k so I've done it four times now the last three myself. I do it just like the guy in the video above except screw the messy cheapy flimsy Kmart pump. Having access to a lift also makes it much easier. To do over after the first 100k I probably should have went to a 75k change interval for heavy towing. Anyway this transmission is dramatically better than what Ram used before. Below is a link to the lube mover. This thing is way faster easier and cleaner. No mess like with the junk pump used in the video. I also use it for front and rear differentials and transfer case. You know service your truck or become economically forced to get another long before its time.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/70--cool-tech-llc-s-lube-mover.html

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956