Hill assists almost got me this weekend!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
So this weekend I was out with wife and daughter doing some shopping. I had to go into the store while they sat in truck. "It's cooler in truck. Not because it's a pain to look for something with them;)". When I parked I was on an incline and didn't realize it. I sat talking to wife for a few sec before I got out not realizing I left the truck in drive. So meanwhile I'm inside store shopping and I see my daughter run in crying and my wife following closely behind. I ask what's wrong. My wife begins to tell me that the truck rolled backwards??? What??? She got cold and turned truck off and it rolled down parking lot. She had to jump into drivers seat " thank god I have a bench seat". I was very confused when she told me I went to truck and tried to get it to roll backwrds turned truck off, tried to shift without pushing brake and nothing couldn't get it to do anything. So I thought hmmm just a fluke. Later that day it dawned one that I have hill assist on and so I went to an incline stopped let off brake truck stayed still then turned truck off with it still in drive and what ya know truck rolls back. So that solved the mysterious auto reverse. But I guess from now on ill be a lil more careful when I stop on an incline that was a first for me. Just glad nobody got hurt and that the truck didn't have some sort of weird problem causing it to roll. Figured I'd share as a heads up and lessons learned.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Wow! Glad no one was hurt!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Wow. Glad to hear that nothing bad happened

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's crap man. Total crap. Hill assist? What does it even do for god sakes? They just keep putting this junk on them and it keeps falling off. Hill assist. What - to assist you in rolling the truck backwards and over someone? Look at the liability for anyone who moves a new ram that doesn't know about hill assist and whether to check and see if it's on. Is it a button? Do they all have it?

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I would say that there is still a problem, Hill Assist is normaly only going to hold the brake for like 5 seconds, I think thats what it said for the one in my Charger. Its to alow you time to get your foot from the brake to the gas without rolling back and hitting the tailgater behind you. Really great in a stick.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hill assist is great for when pulling a heavy trailer and having to stop on a hill. It being stupid I really disagree with that. This was a simple accident on the OP's part. It happens glad everyone is okay and no damage was done to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say that there is still a problem, Hill Assist is normaly only going to hold the brake for like 5 seconds, I think thats what it said for the one in my Charger. Its to alow you time to get your foot from the brake to the gas without rolling back and hitting the tailgater behind you. Really great in a stick.

Thats what my ram does. only 3 sec. But I think hes talking about decent control. not hill assist. decent control shows on your cruise control icon when its turned on. (You can turn it on and off)

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thats what my ram does. only 3 sec. But I think hes talking about decent control. not hill assist. decent control shows on your cruise control icon when its turned on. (You can turn it on and off)

Maybe, but he was saying it rolled backwards.

OP
OP
22hemi13

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That's crap man. Total crap. Hill assist? What does it even do for god sakes? They just keep putting this junk on them and it keeps falling off. Hill assist. What - to assist you in rolling the truck backwards and over someone? Look at the liability for anyone who moves a new ram that doesn't know about hill assist and whether to check and see if it's on. Is it a button? Do they all have it?

It's in the Evic settings. I just have it on. It was a total accident. When I was parked I never felt truck move cause it holds brake. I was distracted by wife and just hopped out never thinking I didn't put it in drive. It's used when your towing trailers and you stop on an incline it prevents truck from rolling back when releasing brake. Just glad I figured out what it was but it did scare the hell outta my daughter and wife. They were both crying. I guess it rolled a good distance when she shut it off before they figured out what was going on. Just one of them things don't really think its a dodge problem but maybe a light indicating its on would be good. But hey maybe I should put it in park next time lol

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very glad that didn't end being worse than it was. You description made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. You know that feeling. I agree, you would think it would be beeping or something. Heck every time you back out of the driveway without the seatbelt on it goes to beeping. It would seem they need to offer an update for the PCM on that or something. Make it to where it flashes a warning light, beeps, something. Even have it say "Hill Assist Engaged". So sorry to hear your little kid got scared. :(

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAMN!
Not to take anything away from the discussion, but you left them in the vehicle while running, NOT in 'P'/Park?

OP
OP
22hemi13

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
DAMN!
Not to take anything away from the discussion, but you left them in the vehicle while running, NOT in 'P'/Park?

Yes my wife didn't want to go in so she stayed with my daughter. I got distracted when I pulled in and stopped. But I hopped out thinking it was in park. It was not because hill assist was holding it. Ill never do that again since I have now turned off hill assist and will double check myself. We all make mistakes wasn't my first one and pretty sure it won't be my last one.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Man, what a close one!!! I expect there are very few of us on here that at some point in our lives we were distracted and forgot to put a vehicle in park before exiting.:Stupid Me:

It takes guts to stand up, raise your hand and say "Hey! Look what goofy thing happened to me. One good thing came out of it though, got people talking about features of their trucks they may not know they had or how they work. I am sure there are a lot of people that have read this without posting. You never know who you my save from a post like this. I bet you don't forget to check that it is in Park before getting out again. ;)

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Man, what a close one!!! I expect there are very few of us on here that at some point in our lives we were distracted and forgot to put a vehicle in park before exiting.:Stupid Me:

It takes guts to stand up, raise your hand and say "Hey! Look what goofy thing happened to me. One good thing came out of it though, got people talking about features of their trucks they may not know they had or how they work. I am sure there are a lot of people that have read this without posting. You never know who you my save from a post like this. I bet you don't forget to check that it is in Park before getting out again. ;)

I agree and would like to add I like the hill assist.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

It is an awesome feature especially when landing a boat you release parking brake and you don't have to quick hit the gas to prevent rolling back into the water just gas and it releases when it senses enough power to pull out. I love the feature it is great.

$miley

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're all human, and make mistakes. Granted, I don't have a Ram yet, but I've done something similar in my Jeep. I've pulled into a parking spot, set the parking brake but forgot to put the transmission in Park. I shut the Jeep off, but couldn't pull the key out, took me a few moments to figure out why. Luckily the parking brake kept me from rolling. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

OP
OP
22hemi13

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I agree and would like to add I like the hill assist.

Yes I agree hill assist is an amazing feature. Very very handy when towing trailer. It's so cool of a feature that I just left it on. But fom now on without a trailer it will be off just to be safe. I guess it worked too good for me lol. When I showed my wife what happened once I figured it out she laughed. Along with her calling me a ******* and a few other names lol. I even took her down a trip in memory lane an did it with her so she knew about it although its off now. Still love my truck though. I remember my old truck where u didn't have to put foot on brake to shift outta drive. I'm pretty sure that caused more problems than hill assist ever will.