How come so many 4th gens...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...are driving around with their third brake light out? I was just behind 2 fourth gens at a light and both their 3rd brake lights were out. I'll bet 20% of 4th gens in my area are this way. Mine went out twice the first year I had my truck, so I said heck with it and installed an LED one. Do a survey in your area...I'll bet you notice the same thing.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The gasket from the factory sucks ass and leaks. Worst is if you park outside on an upward slope or drive in a lot of rain. Mine went out about 3 months after I got the truck. I took it the dealer and they didn't have a clue how to fix it. Literally 5 minutes in the Home Depot parking lot with a roll of rubber weather stripping and it's been fine ever since.

Basically, a design flaw from the factory.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There's a service bulletin for this issue that just says fix with silicone. Lol pretty lame.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
As mentioned, the gasket is horrible. Pretty much every 4th gen has had an issue with it. Heavy rain & car washes are probably the most common causes of water passing by the gasket. My 09 had the RRT done to reseal the housing with windshield sealer. After doing so, the bulb never failed cause water never touched it. It worked up until selling the truck last year.

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yep. Mine has blown twice as well. Worst part is the EVIC shows it's the passenger side rear brake light that's out not the third. I swapped an led into mine. Went ahead and upgraded the cargo lights while I was in there.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The 3rd gens have the same problem.
Sad that dodge STILL can't fix this issue in 2017.

Mine let a downpour into my truck when I first bought it. My newborn baby was not happy. lol

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has been out for at least a couple of years. It's never leaked so I don't want to touch it. I know I probably wouldn't have a problem getting it resealed, but as many of the trucks that leak, I just don't want to chance it.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yup, just noticed mine was out the other day and replaced it.

It's like the early 2000s Chevrolets with their driver side day time running light out. Every single truck I see has it out..

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the same thing with Rams around here. Is there an LED that doesn't throw an error?

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, just noticed mine was out the other day and replaced it.

It's like the early 2000s Chevrolets with their driver side day time running light out. Every single truck I see has it out..

My dad calls that the "Chevy Signature" and its not just on the early 2000s, the wifes 09 tahoe does the exact same thing.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
2nd's had the issue it is endemic on most pickups by all brands

+1. I've seen it mentioned for a lot of late model Ford trucks, even the new aluminum ones.