How do you remove rear fender liners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it sounds stupid.....but does anyone have any tips on how to remove the rear fender liners?

I removed all the screws including the two near the frame. I could move it side to side, but it was so tight I couldnt get it over the fender lip.

I need to change my shocks.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are you doing your drop this weekend?....if so please let me know how you remove the rear liner, it seemed stuck behind the lip and wouldnt budge

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Mine gets stuck sometimes too, you basically just have to yank on it until you get one small part out, and then slowly release everything that's stuck, and it'll fall onto the wheel, from there you can lift it up and out.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pull down first or out?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Get it loose first, and then pull it up and out. To get it loose, start at a bottom corner, and yank it out from around the lip, and then continue around.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'll give it another try. The corners is where it was stuck but I didnt push up first

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
I took a screw driver wrapped a cloth around it it put it under the lip and slid it all the way around the fender under the lip and it came right off can be a reall pain.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sounds like a real pita lol

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I did not remove my wheel liners to do my rear shocks. I cut my wrench in half then I was able to get it onto the inside bolt. It took a longer time but it did work.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
start on one side and work your way up and over...much easier to install then remove, thats for sure.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bringing back an oldie here fellas and I'm sorry if it's been discussed, but do you think it's necessary to pull the rear fender liners for a DIY fluid film or woolwax treatment? Looking under my 2017 Ram 1500, it looks like you can mostly reach around and above them. Obviously, removing them gives better access. Just trying to talk myself out of it. LOL

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
It’s a ten minute job removing those liners

Jacking up the frame in front of the rear tires makes it that much easier to pull out the rear liners above the tires

I took it a step further when I sprayed fluid film

I removed all the tires / rims so I could get my big melon inside and look

You definitely need to get your spray wand inside the support bracket holes so the fluid gets behind where the bracket is spot welded to the rear fenders / quarters . That’s where the rust starts

I hate rust and the extra attention was worth it still today

Spotless

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It literally is a 10min job. I removed the rear liners today before I applied woolwax to my Ram. Also dropped the spare tire. 11 bolts each and the liners pop right out. I removed them as the truck sat and had no issues. The woolwax job took me a few hours. I'm sure there's cavities and spots I missed, but I feel it's much better than the ~$160 Krown job I had done on it last year. Nothing against Krown, it's just I prefer a product I can actually see on the surfaces. I couldn't see any krown after a few weeks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When I did the rear shocks I used a half wrench (like SMITHY above) and cut a hole in the liner to get my socket on the outside bolt/nut head.

When finished I plugged the hole with a rubber plug. Can't tell it's there unless you are looking for it. And next time for rear shocks it will be easy peasy

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought about doing that for re-sprays. Just drilling a few access holes in the liners and use some plugs to cap them. The liners themselves are simple to remove, it's just over time even though I sprayed and treated all 22 bolts, some of them are eventually not going to play nice. Problem is, you will never get a thorough spray job all up in there without removing them. There's just too many nooks and crannies in and around the wheel well area.