How do you replace overhead console bulb???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ya you kinda did. I was just saying law suit , because it's a shame that ******* dome light is going to cost a obscene amount of money for what it is. I understand dash lights that are expensive to change. You're the one that was trying to talk down to me like I don't understand the led lights. As for being a *****, don't sell yourself short. You got that covered just like me. Knock yourself out having the last word. Later

So has your overhead console gone out?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya'll can have these stupid ass interior "upgrades"

Or some stupid mandatory "safety" devices.
But the LED bulb replacement issue isn't
new nor just a Ram issue, like my friend Tahoe. I bought $$ LED lights and turns for my cycle. I read all the info available. They tell you the light output and #of bulbs. No where does it tell you if one or more burn out or you crack a lens you wasted your money, they are sealed units !

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So has your overhead console gone out?

Seriously.. this guy probably dosnt even have an LED over head unit. Yet hes ******** up a storm about it. Just sounds like a typical bitter old man with nothing better to do with his retirement, than ***** about the way things are now..

So.. I guess this is my last word then? Like he has already left the building, and trying to make him self look like the bigger man or something? lol whatever..

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm all for new technology and whatnot regarding led's.

Hell I've switched out every bulb I have to led's.

Regarding this issue....I don't necessarily feel a lawsuit is warranted.

But...I do feel something as simple as a bulb going out...whether it be filament or led should be a simple swap and replace..DIY in your driveway.

Definitely not something that should have to be taken to the dealer.

Swapping the headlight bulb is a big enough pita as it is.

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anybody that thinks this is ok is a (insert derogatory term here)

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody that thinks this is ok is a (insert derogatory term here)

Wow.
What I don't think is ok is that everything is somebody else fault. Somebody else needs to pay. Wanna guess how all this crap got put in/on our vehicles?

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck did not come with the overhead console I added it, at first I had an incandescent one. But then I saw a sport with the LED one and "had to have it". I admit the light is better, and I did not know if it fails I would be SOL. I would have been better off keeping the incandescent one and installing replacement LED bulbs. I agree it is ******** that you cannot change them.

So you put in an incandescent overhead console and then changed to a LED overhead console? How difficult was it to go from incandescent to LED wiring wise? Only wondering because I hate the yellowish light my LED overhead console provides in my Sport and I want to switch to an incandescent overhead and do a bulb swap with some after market 6K LEDs. Do the harnesses just plug and play?

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow.
What I don't think is ok is that everything is somebody else fault. Somebody else needs to pay. Wanna guess how all this crap got put in/on our vehicles?

You don't have this in your vehicle do you?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know didn't check not a buying/not buying issue. But since most are going to LEDs I expect it to be the case.

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I haven't taken mine apart, nor do I intent to, but there has to be an easier and less expensive fix for this. I took mine to the dealer and they did in fact replace the entire console (at least that's what the work order says) but why can't it be taken apart and the LED replaced?
I used to have an 07 F150 and one of the instrument cluster bulbs went out. I looked online and it said the entire instrument cluster had to be replaced. Went to the dealer, they said the same thing. I did some more research online and found the fix myself. It was a $2 lamp that only Napa sold.
Same with the power window switch on the same truck. I was told it had to be replaced at a cost of a couple hundred bucks. I looked online and found out that the contacts get corroded so I took it apart, cleaned it up and worked like new again.
I know easy fixes aren't always the case but sometimes it just takes someone with the time and knowledge to look deeper and find a solution.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I haven't taken mine apart, nor do I intent to, but there has to be an easier and less expensive fix for this. I took mine to the dealer and they did in fact replace the entire console (at least that's what the work order says) but why can't it be taken apart and the LED replaced?
I used to have an 07 F150 and one of the instrument cluster bulbs went out. I looked online and it said the entire instrument cluster had to be replaced. Went to the dealer, they said the same thing. I did some more research online and found the fix myself. It was a $2 lamp that only Napa sold.
Same with the power window switch on the same truck. I was told it had to be replaced at a cost of a couple hundred bucks. I looked online and found out that the contacts get corroded so I took it apart, cleaned it up and worked like new again.
I know easy fixes aren't always the case but sometimes it just takes someone with the time and knowledge to look deeper and find a solution.

Welcome to owning a dodge.. Parts for these trucks are really expensive compared to other trucks. GM in particular.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
So you put in an incandescent overhead console and then changed to a LED overhead console? How difficult was it to go from incandescent to LED wiring wise? Only wondering because I hate the yellowish light my LED overhead console provides in my Sport and I want to switch to an incandescent overhead and do a bulb swap with some after market 6K LEDs. Do the harnesses just plug and play?

The wiring would all be the same just PNP. My truck did not have any harness so I built my own. I tracked down all the OEM connectors and built it to factory specs. I also added the lighted sun-visors, which suck with lights that are in them. I want to upgrade the bulbs in those but cannot find any info on them, anybody know?

But for your question would be just PNP wiring wise.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might happen, somebody figured out how to open sealed headlights to tint. But we are a throw away society so most things are going to be single use.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The how to is not really the problem, soldering on new diodes cannot be that hard. But tracking down the exact replacement diodes could be tough.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The wiring would all be the same just PNP. My truck did not have any harness so I built my own. I tracked down all the OEM connectors and built it to factory specs. I also added the lighted sun-visors, which suck with lights that are in them. I want to upgrade the bulbs in those but cannot find any info on them, anybody know?

But for your question would be just PNP wiring wise.

That is the best news I've heard all week. Think I might have to make that my Christmas present to myself this year. :favorites13: