How does the eco diesel make you feel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hey, there guys I've been dreaming of a diesel ram lately doesn't help that I know the owners of a repair shop in town. it's completely unreasonable but that mileage though I've always been able to say that's more truck than I need. that is until i started seeing the eco diesel I almost feel like it's taunting me with it's smaller size and better mileage. so what are the pros and cons for buying the ecodiesel over the Cummins powered 2500?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
They are two almost entirely different beasts. The EcoDiesel is an "economy" light pickup that gets great gas mileage unloaded (for a truck), and can still tow a decent load on occasion.
The Cummins engines are for when you actually are going to tow something heavy that requires a HD (3/4 ton or higher) truck, at least half way frequently. They can still get decent mileage for what they are, but their focus is primarily pulling power, not economy.

All are good engines, but built for different purposes.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I guess it would come down to how much you actually tow/haul, and if the premium of the Ecodiesel is worth it. In my quest for a truck I looked at the ED briefly, but when I factored in the cost of oil changes, fuel, DEF, etc; the savings just wasn't there, which is why I picked the 3.6. I can haul a load of lumber from HD and pull a trailer with lawn equipment and get great gas mileage while doing it. They great thing about the enitre RAM lineup is all of the engine choices are great, you just have to pick what suits you best.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
One thing to remember is, right now you cannot even buy an Eco Diesel off a lot because the EPA is "investigating" FCA. No one knows when it will be available to purchase again.

You also have to remember that buying a diesel is going to require you to deal with more oil changes, fuel filter changes and the regen process. If you do a lot of city driving and or short trips, you should stay away from a diesel. Odds are you will end up having issues with the emissions equipment. I'm not saying you fall in this category, but I think a lot of people today are buying diesels for just the novelty of it. I have heard a lot of EcoDiesels end up in the dealer needing emissions equipment replaced because people are not driving them or working them like a diesel should be. I am waiting on my new 2500 to be delivered and I contemplated getting a Cummins, its tempting as hell. But the big Hemi can do everything I will need it to with power to spare. And I am forced to do a lot of city driving during the week for work. No emissions BS, no changing fuel filters every year, yada yada. But of course it's just a big old gas motor.

If it were me, and I was really interested in a diesel and needed one, without a doubt I would just pay the premium and get the HD Cummins. It is the far superior motor and you can do a lot more with it. The Cummins is the best diesel being built right now. In an ideal world you would just delete it, but if you are under warranty or if your state requires emissions testing that is probably not an option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
One thing to remember is, right now you cannot even buy an Eco Diesel off a lot because the EPA is "investigating" FCA. No one knows when it will be available to purchase again.

You also have to remember that buying a diesel is going to require you to deal with more oil changes, fuel filter changes and the regen process. If you do a lot of city driving and or short trips, you should stay away from a diesel. Odds are you will end up having issues with the emissions equipment. I'm not saying you fall in this category, but I think a lot of people today are buying diesels for just the novelty of it. I have heard a lot of EcoDiesels end up in the dealer needing emissions equipment replaced because people are not driving them or working them like a diesel should be. I am waiting on my new 2500 to be delivered and I contemplated getting a Cummins, its tempting as hell. But the big Hemi can do everything I will need it to with power to spare. And I am forced to do a lot of city driving during the week for work. No emissions BS, no changing fuel filters every year, yada yada. But of course it's just a big old gas motor.

If it were me, and I was really interested in a diesel and needed one, without a doubt I would just pay the premium and get the HD Cummins. It is the far superior motor and you can do a lot more with it. The Cummins is the best diesel being built right now. In an ideal world you would just delete it, but if you are under warranty or if your state requires emissions testing that is probably not an option.
Yeah I don't think I'll succumb to diesel envy anytime soon but man I would love that mileage. On average I drive 25-30 minutes to work San Antonio is pretty big. But I don't think it would be beneficial to me to own a diesel just yet.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I guess it would come down to how much you actually tow/haul, and if the premium of the Ecodiesel is worth it. In my quest for a truck I looked at the ED briefly, but when I factored in the cost of oil changes, fuel, DEF, etc; the savings just wasn't there, which is why I picked the 3.6. I can haul a load of lumber from HD and pull a trailer with lawn equipment and get great gas mileage while doing it. They great thing about the enitre RAM lineup is all of the engine choices are great, you just have to pick what suits you best.

It's comical that people list DEF cost as a barrier of entry for a diesel. It cost me around $18-20 every 9,000-10,000 miles to fill up my DEF tank. If someone can't afford that then they should be looking at their life choices and not a diesel vs gas truck.

Also, my oil changes cost $75-90 depending on current oil prices. Again, not something to be concerned with.

You also have to remember that buying a diesel is going to require you to deal with more oil changes, fuel filter changes and the regen process.

Oil Change interval is 10,000 miles. Isn't that the same as the gas?
Fuel filter change is every 30,000 miles and costs $25.00
Regen process is automatic and you don't even notice it is occurring unless the DPF gets too full which will then display an EVIC notification. In 50,000 miles I have seen it once....

To the OP: I have a 55 mile drive to work and I average 25-28MPG in my ED with 3.92 gears. If you are someone that will maintain your vehicle then it does not matter if you get a gas or diesel as both will last a long time with an owner that takes care of it.

Mechanical failures happen with anything so all you can really do is stay on top of your maintenance and do your research. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of people that you read about complaining about the ED's are the ones that are having problems. The thousands of others that are not having any problems are just going about their day without an issue.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
It's comical that people list DEF cost as a barrier of entry for a diesel. It cost me around $18-20 every 9,000-10,000 miles to fill up my DEF tank. If someone can't afford that then they should be looking at their life choices and not a diesel vs gas truck.

Also, my oil changes cost $75-90 depending on current oil prices. Again, not something to be concerned with.

Regen process is automatic and you don't even notice it is occurring unless the DPF gets too full which will then display an EVIC notification. In 50,000 miles I have seen it once....

To the OP: I have a 55 mile drive to work and I average 25-28MPG in my ED with 3.92 gears. If you are someone that will maintain your vehicle then it does not matter if you get a gas or diesel as both will last a long time with an owner that takes care of it.

Mechanical failures happen with anything so all you can really do is stay on top of your maintenance and do your research. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of people that you read about complaining about the ED's are the ones that are having problems. The thousands of others that are not having any problems are just going about their day without an issue.
Oil changes every 10k miles? I wish that were the same as gas try every 3-4k for conventional motor oil.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Oil changes every 10k miles? I wish that were the same as gas try every 3-4k for conventional motor oil.

Join the rest of the population that uses synthetic oil and enjoy a better product with longer life. :)

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Join the rest of the population that uses synthetic oil and enjoy a better product with longer life. :)
Problem is my truck is old as hell. I'VE no idea of the previous owner used synthetic and it's been know to cause leaks switching from conventional to synthetic

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Problem is my truck is old as hell. I'VE no idea of the previous owner used synthetic and it's been know to cause leaks switching from conventional to synthetic

That would be a good consideration for you then regardless of the fuel type you end up with. There will be a definite cost savings to more than doubling your oil change interval.

The 3.0 ED uses 10.5 quarts of oil so that is more than the gas I believe.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

Buying DEF itself would not be concern for me and I never said that. The only issue I have heard about DEF is some people have it freeze on them. Cummins schedule says change the oil every 15k miles/ 6 months / 500 engine hours. Whichever comes first. Gas engine Mopar says go 8k miles or twelve months. You get more mileage out of the Cummins between changes but the time interval is less. I would let a gas engine slide at a year on synthetic before a Cummins. Cummins I would follow the 6 month recommendation. The fuel filter(s) are every 15k miles on the Cummins. And I understand the regen process is automatic. The point is, if you do short trip city driving, the regen will not complete fully and temps will not get high enough. There are all kinds of issues that can pop up with the emissions system if the regen isn’t completed properly on a regular basis. Just because yours has been fine it doesn’t mean other people aren’t having issues. Ask any tech at a Mopar dealership, by far the only reason they see Cummins trucks in the shop is because of emissions equipment BS. Its not even just Rams, same with GM. Don’t know much about Ford but I’d assume them as well.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Buying DEF itself would not be concern for me and I never said that. The only issue I have heard about DEF is some people have it freeze on them. Cummins schedule says change the oil every 15k miles/ 6 months / 500 engine hours. Whichever comes first. Gas engine Mopar says go 8k miles or twelve months. You get more mileage out of the Cummins between changes but the time interval is less. I would let a gas engine slide at a year on synthetic before a Cummins. Cummins I would follow the 6 month recommendation. The fuel filter(s) are every 15k miles on the Cummins. And I understand the regen process is automatic. The point is, if you do short trip city driving, the regen will not complete fully and temps will not get high enough. There are all kinds of issues that can pop up with the emissions system if the regen isn’t completed properly on a regular basis. Just because yours has been fine it doesn’t mean other people aren’t having issues. Ask any tech at a Mopar dealership, by far the only reason they see Cummins trucks in the shop is because of emissions equipment BS. Its not even just Rams, same with GM. Don’t know much about Ford but I’d assume them as well.

If your DEF freezes on you then you are not maintaining the vehicle properly. That is something that is 100% avoidable.

I never said that people were not having issues. I said that those that are having issues are the ones talking about it on the internet. People that are not having issues are not talking about it simply because the truck is operating as it should and it's a non issue.

A tech will talk about what they have worked on which will be vehicles that have had problems. I don't think anyone here is stating that any vehicle regardless of it's fuel type does not have problems.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I love my ecodiesel! It gets amazing fuel mileage, it's fun to drive, and had tons of torque for pulling trailers.

Oil changes cost me the same as they did with my Hemi, but the ED requires less frequent oil changes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I love my ecodiesel! It gets amazing fuel mileage, it's fun to drive, and had tons of torque for pulling trailers.

Oil changes cost me the same as they did with my Hemi, but the ED requires less frequent oil changes.

Gonna have to talk with my diesel shop owning buddies and see what the heck is have to say. Can you upgrade it in a small box similar fashion you would a Cummins?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Gonna have to talk with my diesel shop owning buddies and see what the heck is have to say. Can you upgrade it in a small box similar fashion you would a Cummins?

There are tunes out there for it.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
There are tunes out there for it.

Yeah I just saw that on YouTube lol. Can't help but wonder if you could put a bigger turbo though. Not that I would that's a lot of money to blow up lol

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yeah I just saw that on YouTube lol. Can't help but wonder if you could put a bigger turbo though. Not that I would that's a lot of money to blow up lol

Yes there are a few companies making compound turbo kits, and larger turbo for them