How does the eco diesel make you feel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone direct me to the cylinder numbering. I have a neighbor with a #2 glow plug fault and doesn't have a clue which one to start with :)

By the way, Banks does an excellent job with ecodiesel performance mods.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have a ecodiesel, zero issues, zero check engine lights. Great mileage. Tows great and still gets great mileage towing. It is a complete dog compared to my old hemi. I wen from hemi with 3.92 to 3.5 ecoboost with 3.55 to 5.0 with 3.72, and now 3.0 with 3.55 and can honestly say the 3.0 is by far the slowest of the bunch. but its also a truck, so who needs to go fast in a truck?

Only thing I have to be mindfull of is driving to much city somtimes. I have gotten the filter full message twice, but if you do what the screen says and drive at highway speeds for 15 minutes, it cleans itself out.

With respect to the premium of the ecodiesel, you get that back on resale. Atleast locally you do. Same as a cummins. Same as the hemi vs 3.6. They are worth more used...

DEF never crosses my mind. It goes through so little of it. I have only filled mine once. Just about due for second fill up of it now. Lots of places have it at the pump now so its nothing to worry about.

Oil changes are pricey because engine takes 10.5 but thats also part of the reason they can be stretched out so far. It has a huge oil capacity. Follow MFGs for maintance and should be nothing to worry about and cost vs hemi is nearly the same with a huge savings on fuel. Ecodiesel having a higher up front cost.

If your doing mostly city driving id get 3.6, if your doing lot of city going but pull decent loads id get hemi. If you do highway going can't beat the diesel.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have a ecodiesel, zero issues, zero check engine lights. Great mileage. Tows great and still gets great mileage towing. It is a complete dog compared to my old hemi. I wen from hemi with 3.92 to 3.5 ecoboost with 3.55 to 5.0 with 3.72, and now 3.0 with 3.55 and can honestly say the 3.0 is by far the slowest of the bunch. but its also a truck, so who needs to go fast in a truck?

Only thing I have to be mindfull of is driving to much city somtimes. I have gotten the filter full message twice, but if you do what the screen says and drive at highway speeds for 15 minutes, it cleans itself out.

With respect to the premium of the ecodiesel, you get that back on resale. Atleast locally you do. Same as a cummins. Same as the hemi vs 3.6. They are worth more used...

DEF never crosses my mind. It goes through so little of it. I have only filled mine once. Just about due for second fill up of it now. Lots of places have it at the pump now so its nothing to worry about.

Oil changes are pricey because engine takes 10.5 but thats also part of the reason they can be stretched out so far. It has a huge oil capacity. Follow MFGs for maintance and should be nothing to worry about and cost vs hemi is nearly the same with a huge savings on fuel. Ecodiesel having a higher up front cost.

If your doing mostly city driving id get 3.6, if your doing lot of city going but pull decent loads id get hemi. If you do highway going can't beat the diesel.
Well resale isn't an issue here in Texas

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Question for you diesel owners. I am new to the diesel family, picked up my first 17 Ram 2500 diesel last Dec and only have 1700 miles now. It's my weekend truck for my toys and sometimes sits on the weekend as well. If it wasn't for one long road trip it would prob stil only have 800 miles. So is it bad for diesel to just sit? Should I still take it in 6 month interval for LOF? Yes I know, I should just drive it as much as possible, but just letting you know my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sitting is not the best for any engine, gas or diesel. As are long periods of ideling, especially for your diesel

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
you guys with the diesels can keep them, I have never towed and never will so for me the almost lightest Hemi with a Hemi, 2wd ,suspension handled and it is now just about fun. Off ramps check, on ramps check, merging into 70mph traffic check and then there's the red light. I always thought anything that hits 60mph in-between 4-5 seconds is a decent runner that puts a smirk on my face. Faster than my 392 or 5.4s/c, well don't be silly but the R/T is no slouch. I tend not to monkey around with mods other than exhaust and a nice subtle lowering, then I go straight to the heavy hitter, a huffer coming soon to this channel lol

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
you guys with the diesels can keep them, I have never towed and never will so for me the almost lightest Hemi with a Hemi, 2wd ,suspension handled and it is now just about fun. Off ramps check, on ramps check, merging into 70mph traffic check and then there's the red light. I always thought anything that hits 60mph in-between 4-5 seconds is a decent runner that puts a smirk on my face. Faster than my 392 or 5.4s/c, well don't be silly but the R/T is no slouch. I tend not to monkey around with mods other than exhaust and a nice subtle lowering, then I go straight to the heavy hitter, a huffer coming soon to this channel lol

Why do you even have a truck when you are doing nothing but car things with it?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The main purpose of the ecodiesel is mileage. That's pretty much it. If you're someone that drives a lot of highway miles then it will probably be a good choice. However if you're someone that only drives short trips in the city, you're probably going to run into issues. Mainly DPF, and EGR issues. We've been seeing quite a few ecodiesels coming in with plugged EGR coolers, and all of them either have excessive idle times or do mainly short trip driving.

In order for the ED to operate correctly and efficiently without clogging up, it needs to hit full operating temp every time you drive it. It also needs the winter front once it gets cold.

If you live somewhere like I do then it gets damn cold in the winter time, so frozen DEF can be an issue. Yes the pump has a heater built in to it. The issue is that if the tank freezes the heater will thaw the DEF around the pump but the rest of the tank will be frozen, which will still cause an issue. There have been updates though to help eleviate this problem. Mainly if it gets to cold it will just disable the DEF system.

So basically from my point of few as a FCA tech, you really only should be looking at a ED if you drive a lot and fuel mileage is very important to you. Personally though, I'll stick with the HEMI.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Driving a lot with towing also brings out the advantage of the eco. The engine torque characteristics also provides better off road driving pleasure. But at a cost in initial investment and hassle.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why do you even have a truck when you are doing nothing but car things with it?

I have the truck for the odd run to pick up soil/mulch etc, try that in a GT500 or SRT8 Challenger. I am thinking you might be a young fella because as you age you learn not to worry about what others are driving. I could care less that a guy lifts his truck 12" and it never leaves the pavement and you want to no why, IT'S HIS TRUCK so he can do what he wants and it's none of my concern:favorites13: Question answered fully to my satisfaction, as far as your concern meh carry on.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I have the truck for the odd run to pick up soil/mulch etc, try that in a GT500 or SRT8 Challenger. I am thinking you might be a young fella because as you age you learn not to worry about what others are driving. I could care less that a guy lifts his truck 12" and it never leaves the pavement and you want to no why, IT'S HIS TRUCK so he can do what he wants and it's none of my concern:favorites13: Question answered fully to my satisfaction, as far as your concern meh carry on.
I hope you are not confusing a question on the internet for concern. I don't give a rip what you drive or why. However, I can still form an opinion of the choice of vehicle that you make and how you use it. That does not mean I am concerned, just opinionated.

I am old enough to know that I don't care what you think about what I say or how old or young I may be.

Oh, and it is quite possible to get mulch in a Challenger. You just have to buy the pre bagged stuff and make a few trips.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I hope you are not confusing a question on the internet for concern. I don't give a rip what you drive or why. However, I can still form an opinion of the choice of vehicle that you make and how you use it. That does not mean I am concerned, just opinionated.

I am old enough to know that I don't care what you think about what I say or how old or young I may be.

Oh, and it is quite possible to get mulch in a Challenger. You just have to buy the pre bagged stuff and make a few trips.

why would I want to make a few trips when the R/T can handle it all in one trip? If for some reason I needed to tow the R/T can handle 2 1/2 tons but again I have never had the opportunity and really do not see any reason I would ever need to tow.

In your first post and I might have to go back and check you stated "why purchase a truck and treat it as a car" or something similar to that and above you state "I don't give a rip what you drive or why", interesting. Back to the mulch scenario, you can put filthy wet leaking bags of whatever in a trunk or even worse using the seats but not this fella.:favorites13:

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
**** so if I dont use my truck ever day for truck related duties I should not have bought it. ?
well **** that sucks.

I bet he bought that truck cause he wanted it. end of story for ***** sake.

Buy what you want .!

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A whole bunch of panties getting twisted in this thread. :console:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
They are just expressing how the Eco diesel makes them feel. It apparently affects some people differently.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my ram to move things everynow and then. Like I'll throw a case of water in the bed when leaving Walmart.

And sometimes, just sometimes....it even sees dirt.

:popcorn: