How does the oil life monitor work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Does it actually analyse the oil or is it just a calculation of miles and idle time?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it actually analyse the oil or is it just a calculation of miles and idle time?

Not completely sure but always taught it was milage and idle time. There's lots of knowledgeable members on this forum so I'm sure someone will be answer that question

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i hope some of the knowledgable people answer soon.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read it monitors idle, miles, engine load, throttle position, towing, etc. It calculates a lot of different factors but it doesn't actually monitor the oil itself.

There are a lot of people who have had their oil analysis done and for the most part, the truck does a great job monitoring.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned, it's basically an algorithm. It monitors idle time, outside temp, how many times the engine has been at wot, how many cold starts, how many times the oil has gotten above 200*F, average oil temp, average engine load, throttle position average, coolant temp max, average coolant temp, and a slew of other things I'm sure I missed.

There was an older thread on here somewhere that I've been trying to find that had a fairly extensive list of parameters the OLM read in order to gauge how "good" the oil is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
To add to this if I may, if it uses all that then how come if I use cheap oil it goes through the interval almost twice as fast (mileage wise) as a quality synthetic?
P.S. I drive the same highway daily putting on an average 65 miles per day.

Last edited:

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is very interesting. Wife has a 15 charger and i am very curious about this too. Driving style appears to affect it greatly. Even with standard oil it appears that the change interval is over 6k miles regardless.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, Search, search, search, nope.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just hit my one year mark on my 2015 sport. I only have 4k miles on it. Truck says the oil life is still good but the manual says to have the oil replaced at minimum once a year. Any suggestions?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just hit my one year mark on my 2015 sport. I only have 4k miles on it. Truck says the oil life is still good but the manual says to have the oil replaced at minimum once a year. Any suggestions?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I'm a believer in changing the oil when the EVIC says so but in your case, I'd change it annually at a minimum. You drive so little that condensation and other combustion byproducts can build up and the only way to guarantee they are gone is to replace the oil. Bearing don't like those contaminents

You have way to big an investment here to let a couple of oil changes reduce engine life.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The manual says follow the OLM OR change at 1-year.

For some reason I find it hard to believe that they couldn't integrate a time counter so that the OLM would track the one year mark too but there you have it.

From the Manual:

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will
influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is
displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the
change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles
(5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as
soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

1500 Models Only
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or
350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The
350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a
concern for fleet customers.
2500 – 3500 Models Only
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a
concern for fleet customers

Last edited:

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I feel like the problem with going by the oil life indicator is that it doesn't know what oil you are using. We all know that dino oil, synthetic blend, and full synthetic can go different mileages. I'm currently using the dealership for oil changes(not for much longer) and running their synthetic blend. I change my oil around 6K still. The oil change indicator usually says I have between 46 and 50% life left. I'll stick to going by the mileage, no way I would run synthetic blend to 12K miles.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like the problem with going by the oil life indicator is that it doesn't know what oil you are using. We all know that dino oil, synthetic blend, and full synthetic can go different mileages. I'm currently using the dealership for oil changes(not for much longer) and running their synthetic blend. I change my oil around 6K still. The oil change indicator usually says I have between 46 and 50% life left. I'll stick to going by the mileage, no way I would run synthetic blend to 12K miles.
The truck is configured for conventional so anything beyond that is just a bonus

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram has never indicated anything other than exactly 10K miles since the last reset...I guess that means that my truck has never triggered any of the severe operating conditions. Either way, it appears to me that my wife's BMWs use more complex parameters to provide the oil life estimate/recommendation.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Everything I have read says it is parameter input based.

That being said, I tick off 1% for every 80 miles driven and that fills out the 8K recommended OCI for the 6.4 Hemi.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

They DO specify the quality of oil and therefore take oil quality into account. It is called the MS-6395 spec in Chryslers case. Or Dexos for GM and API (which is much nicer to have a universal standard but I digress).

Any oil that meets that spec, synthetic or otherwise, is suitable for the the OLM. If you choose to use oil that doesn't meet that spec, you are on your own. Some people do so chasing "better" oil but you do so at your own risk.

I'm not bad-mouthing better quality oils with better additive packages but if you don't have the time or inclination to research and understand lubricants just stick to the manufacturer specifications. It isn't that hard.

And in terms of OLMs they are a better algorithm than just using one metric for oil change intervals. I expect they will improve over time just like our automobiles do but they are a definite step in the right direction to better optimize our vehicle service.

Last edited:

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The DO specify the quality of oil and therefore take oil quality into account. It is called the MS-6395 spec in Chryslers case. Or Dexos for GM and API (which is much nicer to have a universal standard but I digress).

Any oil that meets that spec, synthetic or otherwise, is suitable for the the OLM. If you choose to use oil that doesn't meet that spec, you are on your own. Some people do so chasing "better" oil but you do so at your own risk.

I'm not bad-mouthing better quality oils with better additive packages but if you don't have the time or inclination to research and understand lubricants just stick to the manufacturer specifications. It isn't that hard.

And in terms of OLMs they are a better algorithm than just using one metric for oil change intervals. I expect they will improve over time just like our automobiles do but they are a definite step in the right direction to better optimize our vehicle service.

I under the MS 6395 spec, and I also have a decent understanding of lubricants and additive packages. However, if you do some research on an oil based site, like Bob is the oil guy, where lots of people post oil sample results and such, you'll see that 6 or 7K miles is all you would want to go on a dino oil, like Pennzoil in the yellow bottle. I definitely trust a synthetic blend to 7k miles, and I trust full synthetics to 10K with a good filter meant for synthetics.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I under the MS 6395 spec, and I also have a decent understanding of lubricants and additive packages. However, if you do some research on an oil based site, like Bob is the oil guy, where lots of people post oil sample results and such, you'll see that 6 or 7K miles is all you would want to go on a dino oil, like Pennzoil in the yellow bottle. I definitely trust a synthetic blend to 7k miles, and I trust full synthetics to 10K with a good filter meant for synthetics.

I wouldn't trust a web forum over the engineers who designed it and there is nothing wrong with running PYB for what the OLM determines is appropriate. If it makes you feel better run a more expensive MS-6395 flavor. I do... but I'm fully confident I could run PYB and it would have zero impact on the engine life.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Without reading the rest of the posts... each mfg has their own way of the calculations but in simple

Acceleration habits, idle habits, overall speed at intervals, engine and trans temps, I read some account humidity though I have not validated this.

For the record - it has been answered 51 times now.