How easy is it to steal these trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I've read the "stay away from those overpriced gimmicks. use two $5 inline switches to your starter" threads. I've also read that, if a Revelco was cut somehow, with all the black wires, it would be a nightmare to restore.
I'd like my new truck to stay mine and not have it hacked up. Still trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Worst case, I'd rather have it disabled than stolen. Then it's just a repair bill. If they steal it, then even if it gets recovered, it'll probably be trashed.

Combine the Ravelco with an alarm, and the noise will ensure they don't have time to trash it or hack it up while trying to bypass it. Only practical way to steal one with a Ravelco would be to trailer/flatbed it, and a screaming alarm would make that impractical too (see also: gun and dog mentioned elsewhere).

Defense in depth is the key.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
buy a gun and a dog!

Anybody who doesn't own a gun in this world is an idiot. But so true about a dog, man a good dog will let you know the second something is out of whack on your dirt at night. It wouldn't be advisable to shoot someone stealing your car, but if you happen to let a well trained German Shepard out to bite their nuts off, oh well.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP, please tell us some details on your surveillance system. Pics looks great. Very curious and interested in its capabilities.

OP
OP
kccustom

kccustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, please tell us some details on your surveillance system. Pics looks great. Very curious and interested in its capabilities.

I have 9 Cameras the NVR holds about 30 days, I got most of the stuff from nelly's and some from china.

I do most of my "learnin" @ https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Hikvision

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/record...-recorder.html

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/camera...era-2-8mm.html

https://youtu.be/HIuuH5Aswbg

https://youtu.be/CJCGzUwgLE8

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I park mine in a locked garage and my bull mastiff lets me know if anything is going on outside. My neighbor has older rigs, 99 f350 and 02 s-10, but he always leaves doors unlocked and keys in them. I tell them he's crazy as he just has liability and wouldn't get **** from insurance for them if someone stole them. (Unless homeowners insurance covers it)

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I park mine in a locked garage and my bull mastiff lets me know if anything is going on outside. My neighbor has older rigs, 99 f350 and 02 s-10, but he always leaves doors unlocked and keys in them. I tell them he's crazy as he just has liability and wouldn't get **** from insurance for them if someone stole them. (Unless homeowners insurance covers it)
Neighbor is dumb you are smart. Dogs, best warning alarm ever. Even my ickle Mexican chihuahuas notify me if anyone is around the perimeter of the home. Good watch dogs but **** guard dogs , unlike your beast. Wife wouldn't allow it LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Neighbor is dumb you are smart. Dogs, best warning alarm ever. Even my ickle Mexican chihuahuas notify me if anyone is around the perimeter of the home. Good watch dogs but **** guard dogs , unlike your beast. Wife wouldn't allow it LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The key with dogs is having one that know when something is wrong and not one that barks at every little cricket farting in the next county over. Toy breeds suck in this regards because give you so many false alarms, you tend to ignore them.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The key with dogs is having one that know when something is wrong and not one that barks at every little cricket farting in the next county over. Toy breeds suck in this regards because give you some many false alarms, you tend to ignore them.

Mine dont bark for no reason, meaning folks walking past the house on the sidewalk etc, however for some stranger reason they always always bark at the fedex truck that comes past.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine dont bark for no reason, meaning folks walking past the house on the sidewalk etc, however for some stranger reason they always always bark at the fedex truck that comes past.

Did your wife teach him that? So she could keep track of the upgrade parts you buy.

Oh in Florida you can shoot them if the come on your property? Here in Ct they would sue you and make the thief out to be a helpless victim. I can't wait to move to Fl.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The key with dogs is having one that know when something is wrong and not one that barks at every little cricket farting in the next county over. Toy breeds suck in this regards because give you so many false alarms, you tend to ignore them.
I have a lhasa apso named Woodie who is an excellent alarm dog. Apparently they were bread for this purpose.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my project list is growing but the funds are not. dammit. lol

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

State of MN, if the keys are in it and it drives away without you in it, insurance will not cover it in any way shape or form because it'd be classified as their word against yours that you "loaned" them the vehicle for use as they had keys in their possession...

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
State of MN, if the keys are in it and it drives away without you in it, insurance will not cover it in any way shape or form because it'd be classified as their word against yours that you "loaned" them the vehicle for use as they had keys in their possession...

That's total ********. Stolen is stolen. What if they break into your house and steal the keys? The keys would be in their possession in that case as well.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's total ********. Stolen is stolen. What if they break into your house and steal the keys? The keys would be in their possession in that case as well.

Yup...

Just because I left the door open to my home doesn't mean I gave you permission to come in.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One pretty effective theft deterrent is to drive a stick shift...only about 10%-20% of Americans can drive them now. As we've been "dumbing down" to the lowest common denominator of education, the desire to learn things that actually require thought or paying attention has all but disappeared from the latest one or two generations of America's youth.

This signature is AWESOME!!!