How much modding is too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone gets that fever every so often to mod things here and there. I assume I'm not alone in looking at stuff and saying "damn I want that." But recently I have been seeing a lot of stuff I want to do with my truck and I've been mapping it all out. Truth be told, this stuff is expensive. Between wanting to upgrade factory parts to better factory parts and adding completely customized modifications to my truck, I am at the point where I could easily spend thousands of dollars on new upgrades and modifications.

My question is, how much is too much? I bought my truck brand new in 2015. Since then I've put on 65,000 miles and slowly but surely added upgrades every step of the way. But now I'm getting into some of the more expensive add-ons. Since I'm a working man and have to save the money up, things go slow. But the more I think about it the more I realize I am dumping large sums of money into upgrades on a truck that is inevitably going to die one day. I'd like to make this truck last as long as possible. I don't go out and get a new vehicle every few years and I have to make my stuff last. But do you guys think it's better just to keep your money and hold off on big upgrades or should I continue working to add everything I want to my truck as time goes on?

Realistically, how much money do most of you working class folks actually dump into your truck?

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm with you on the money. These forums make me want all kinds of stuff that I didnt even know was needed! But hey, this forum is for truck enthusiasts and I get alot of entertainment and useful info from it. The compromise I made with myself was instead of getting silly stuff from the wife for birthdays/holidays, I buy stuff for my truck. Over a couple years that can buy alot and dosent kill the budget. As far as how much money, Ive spent about 2k, and will probably spend another 1500 before I'm done. I know I wont get this back on trade in value, but I do think you get some value back on a private sale. Its ok though, we dont have to spend on things like hair/nails/makeup/purses/designer clothes, etc.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I literally had to walk out of Autozone because I was waiting for my nerf bar install to be complete, if I didn't, I'd have spent like $1000 on just basic stuff like lighting and random accessories lol.

My goal is just to keep this a quiet, comfortable ride that has decent storage etc. I still haven't decided on a camper shell, or a bed cover, but I know that will definitely be purchased in the next few weeks. I have a fuel efficient model, Pentastar V6 model with 3.21 gears. It can't tow over 4,000lbs that well, but I don't need that anyway.

Looking at small camper trailers, I might even buy a storage trailer and seal it, then put in an airbed with A/C and a generator or solar batteries. I'm in Arizona, if you don't have cool air you will literally die without it lol. Shade DOES help, but not much.

I was gonna get big tires and wheels, but decided against it. Spent $250 on 4inch nerf bars, money well spent!

Anyone that has the free $$$ to modify, do as you please, you only live once! Have fun.

Cheers!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I bought my Ram Rebel on or about 08-01-2017 I had a plan. I had a list of things I wanted done in the first month or two. I got those done...about $2000 worth. Now that I'm done with those things...the list is clear. I'll add or change a few things but my Rebel has only 1350 miles on it....and I can enjoy it for the next 4-5 years.

Its all personal preference...some people love modifications...others not so much. Some spend a ton...others...alot less. Its all up to you and your pocketbook.

I know there are certain things I won't be doing...due to cost and or voiding my warranty...but thats me. To each their own!

Life is too short to have an unmodified truck (if you ask me) :) Do a few things to your truck...make it your own, personalize it so to speak. After that...just drive it and enjoy it!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is this too much modding you speak of?!?!?!?!? :crazy:

Honestly its tough to say and and i think is different for everyone, especially if its your DD which is the case for most of us. Me i never stop but i do slow down as i complete the smaller items and only have the bigger mods left. I daily my PW and have a house, wife, 3 kids, and pets. so i got to budget myself. I must say i have to stop following the procharging a 6.4 thread. the whipple viking is talking about is making me drool....

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the truck is going to die, but so are you. The question is; how bad do you want to keep the truck? Worst case, you need a new engine or trans - would you do it, or replace the truck? That's a call only you can make.

As for what the "working class guy" puts into mods, that's a pretty wide field. I couldn't afford a newer truck much less a lot of mods afterwards.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I agree with the others, it's a lot of personal preference. For me, I added wheel to wheel side steps, OEM Deluxe splash guards, a bug shield, and a spray-in Rhino Lining in the bed. For me, that's enough. For others it may not be enough, but it's all personal preference in the end. If I was still in my mid-twenties, I probably have to put an aftermarket exhaust on, but now I enjoy the old man quietness are the current OEM exhaust LOL

If you got the money to do it, and it makes you happy, go for it. But remember, the more you modify things away from stock, it can make the truck less reliable. Especially when it comes to engine modifications. Something to think about. Just my two cents

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I have much respect for those who maintain their trucks at stock and keep them showroom squared away inside and out. I also dig modding as a hobby. It’s cool to see incremental improvements in performance or functionality over time. I have no intention of selling my 2010. I will give it to my son as his first driver. Sure, I have sunk some coin into this truck but it gives me tremendous pride and joy. It is always fun to hear people ask me what year and tell them 2010. They always reply, “what? it looks almost brand new”! Especially the valets.

:naughty:

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a very bad question to ask a guy that has poured countless $$$$'s into a number of Harleys over the years. Then I decided enough was enough, got rid of them, bought 2 Indians and yep it started again, but at a much slower rate. I live on a fixed income so that helps a lot too.

My last Ram was purchased in 1999 so I don't replace them often. Steps, bed liner and bug deflector were the only things I put on it. Really didn't do much to it because it was a hard working truck that pulled a 5th wheel for years, then a heavy toy hauler and a nice pontoon boat. In between those times it was loaded with firewood for the winters in Montana.

Buying a 2017 Ram, I went basic with an Express, QC & 4X4 was a must. The Dealer I bought it from has their own shops so they did the spray in bed liner, tinted windows, Class IV hitch and side step rails. That following week I ordered my Truxedo Lo Pro cover. Yesterday my All Weather mats came, front & rear, Splash guards front & rear, Side Window air deflectors and Hood deflector. Saved 15% on that order so it was very reasonable. I'm stopping for now because we skipped Fall & went to winter. Today I get my first load of firewood in my new truck.

Do what you want to do, when you want to do it. One thing I realized over the years is, no matter how much you pour into a vehicle or bike, there comes a time when you get rid of it and never get out of it what you'd like. Maybe that's part of the fun. My truck is not my DD so it will stay low mileage.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta mod responsibly... always remember mods don't add value so when your doing those mods make sure your doing them for yourself and not in attempt to hit the jackpot and always keep your stock parts that way when it's time to move on you can return it back to stockish truck. Also remember when you start to mess with the powertrain outside the typical bolt on (exhaust, intake etc) then reliability starts to go downhill. Also helps when you have another vehicle that's not a DD to tinker with. Have a idea on what you would want to do realistically to make it your own. I tend to keep my vehicles for awhile even after they're paid off so for me modding kills the itch to get something new.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd say this is too much... LOL!

OverModded.jpg

Seriously though...

For me it's a hobby, but also vehicle dependent. My Jeep was my DD/racer, but is more racer these days. So except for a couple of emblems, all the mods are for more performance. The Ram is now my DD/stuff hauler. So everything is what I consider functional upgrades, tonneau, tires, etc., for it's specific purpose. I've got around $5k in the Ram, and around $100k in the Jeep. I'll never sell the Jeep, so resale is irrelevant to me. I have no plans to get rid of the Ram either, but nothing I've done, so far, would negatively affect resale. I don't mind spending the money to get either exactly how I want them. Like I said, it's a hobby, but I also think it's a personal thing for many. Each person has to decide what's too much, or not enough for them. Like Casper said, Drive Happy! My mods allow me to do that.

wink

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I put a lot of work in to finding the exact truck I wanted and had the budget to afford to it, so there's just a small list of things I want to add to the truck. I have most of those already and I haven't even reached the $1k mark yet. Others buy a truck based on a different budget and will have a bigger list of mods depending on how they want the truck to end up. So the term "too much modding" is subjective to ones starting and ending point.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have much respect for those who maintain their trucks at stock and keep them showroom squared away inside and out. I also dig modding as a hobby. It’s cool to see incremental improvements in performance or functionality over time. I have no intention of selling my 2010. I will give it to my son as his first driver. Sure, I have sunk some coin into this truck but it gives me tremendous pride and joy. It is always fun to hear people ask me what year and tell them 2010. They always reply, “what? it looks almost brand new”! Especially the valets.

:naughty:

good on you. that is the way to be and how i am with my equipment. we spend a lot of money on our trucks.. why not keep them as nice as we can for as long as we can has always been my motto

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why is it that some people can spend big $$ on vacations just to have a weeks fun and have nothing to show for it afterwards except a memory, but when it comes to buying something for your truck its a waste?

Reactions: rvj

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why is it that some people can spend big $$ on vacations just to have a weeks fun and have nothing to show for it afterwards except a memory, but when it comes to buying something for your truck its a waste?

The same reason that spending hours playing a video game is a waste, but hours watching TV on the couch isn't....personal opinion.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---To much is when you start to spend "household money" on your truck. That is why I finally gave up racing many many years ago. Family is always first, then your toys. I appreciate a stock well detailed truck as much as I do a modded out truck with all the latest goodies. A heavily modded truck or a stock truck--make it your own and be proud it's yours. There is always someone that is going to have more and better stuff than I do---good for them.
Jay

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The age old question!

Truth be known I know of a guy who bought a brand new RAM 2500 with every factory available option and then proceeded to install all sorts of suspension mods, tires, wheels, lights, who knows what else. Then the handling got so bad because he went crazy with the 4" diameter sways and whatever other insane changes that he wound up taking it all off and tried selling it to someone else! (BS on the sway diameter, but you get the idea). I should also mention that he seems to do this with another vehicle every year. Too much money!

Personally I'm a cheap-o who is happy with whatever the truck was born with and only change things as they need replacement, for the most part. I can't find satisfaction in spending $*** on a mod that is only going to make it look different or act differently. I'm not saying that if it floats your boat you shouldn't do it, but I am not cut from that cloth. I did add the Wadestar side view mirror thingies and if I could find a simple enough to install CD player I'd be on that, but much else, no. When the tires go I'll look at upgrading and probably the same with the shocks but otherwise I'll be happy with it the way I got it.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Realistically, how much money do most of you working class folks actually dump into your truck?

Too much. I'll never again drop the amount of money in another vehicle like I have this ram. Tires alone are damm near 2k!

I'm keeping this thing forever so I'm happy with where it's at.