How much modding is too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It is money down the toilet generally. I blew money I should have saved for my retirement when I was a kid. Literally, what I spent on stuff that was worth nothing within a half a decade could have allowed me to retire 5-years earlier.

It is unfortunate that you don't gain that perspective until your later years.

OP
OP
EVc96bKA

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What a bunch of great and varying answers. I really see all your perspectives on this. I suppose it really does come down to the question "how long are you keeping it?" I have decided to keep this truck forever. It's cheaper to replace an engine and tranny than it is to buy a new truck anyway. Still need to set limits for myself.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Honestly I planned on a lot of stuff, however, like you said dump a bunch of money in a truck that will die. It’s like renovating your house knowing it’s just a rental.

I am a fan of mods. Love them. But reality sets in and I simply can’t afford it. I like mods that serve a purpose like steps, tonneau cover, seat covers etc.. fairly inexpensive mods that provide a service. Maybe I’m just getting old lol. I read all the issues people have with lifts and levels and that’s not a path I really want to go down. Worrying about my warranty, having reliability issues and negatively impacting my truck. Aside from my exhaust that pretty much the only mod I’ve done that doesn’t serve a purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
LMAO, it's all relative. As long as bills are paid, the RRSP is topped up every month, and the wife gets her annual vacation the rest is for me to spend. I have easily put $50-60K back into my truck at this point, but it's also kept me busy and interested for 4 years. I've busted a lot of knuckles, cursed more times than I care to remember when **** breaks, but through it all it's something that *I* have done and in the end it's all about if it's worth the time and money spent to me. If this 4L80e swap works then I'm sure I'll have interest in the truck again and maybe in the Spring I'll do more to it. I know I'm starting to be done with it when I start finding other hobbies that take precedence over it, like the cabinet making I'm getting started with.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i asked this same question when i spent well over 10 grand in paint and body work on my show truck... it boils down to if i love the vehicle and plan to keep it then the sky is the limit, if its something im not really in love with and dont see a long term thing with it then i do a few of what i call "comfort mods" to just make it more fun to drive and enjoy and stop there...

my show truck has thousands and thousands of dollars in it, my 03 reg cab project has its second motor showing up this weekend, my 08 is undergoing a transformation, all 3 of those i plan to keep, my 2013 on the other hand, it got a few simple mods and thats pretty much where im going to keep it, ill have it a while but its not something that i see me keeping forever like the 3rd gens

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It also effects mods if it’s a daily driver like mine for instance [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The question few of us want to answer---NEED vs. WANT :naughty::naughty:
I think the answer depends on who is asking you the question------
Jay

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The question few of us want to answer---NEED vs. WANT :naughty::naughty:
I think the answer depends on who is asking you the question------
Jay

To be technical, I don't NEED a truck at all. I could definitely do better and save money and be "greener" with a small car or SUV. But I enjoy climbing into my truck, and the feel of driving it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Advice from a Old Fart! :)
Alot of good advice here and like mentioned you will get old one day and need $$$ to live on in retirement! I have pissed away alot of $$ I should have invested for retirement! I am not saying be a tight *** and spend 0 just plan ahead! I picked up my 2015 last year and yes would have been better to invest that $$$ into retirement! BUT I am at a stage I can still spend some on upgrading my RAM and still eat lol Basically plan ahead and spend wisely :)
That is the advice I give my kids and they live well but their retirement will be way better then mine! So Start your IRA/401 NOW !

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not already paid off I'd do that first. Then if i want a certain mod I'd save the amount of the old truck payment every month until i have enough to pay for it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If it's not already paid off I'd do that first. Then if i want a certain mod I'd save the amount of the old truck payment every month until i have enough to pay for it.
A Great point! The $$$ saved in interest would help pay for some mods as well :)

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A Great point! The $$$ saved in interest would help pay for some mods as well :)

Not only that but I'll bet by the time enough was saved for some mods he'd realize he doesn't want or need that particular mod now and bank the cash. Most humans impulse buy and regret it later. This will give you time to come to your senses. I mean give you time to think it through.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Not only that but I'll bet by the time enough was saved for some mods he'd realize he doesn't want or need that particular mod now and bank the cash. Most humans impulse buy and regret it later. This will give you time to come to your senses. I mean give you time to think it through.
Bryan, You are 110% right about impulse buying!Alot of stuff you do not really need get bought and hardly used ! I learned that a long time ago myself! I learned that is you see something you want just wait a week or so and usually you do not but it lol.
FYI I just paid off my RAM 4 year early and my car 2 years early , and will make the payments to myself instead of the bank! :)

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my first new truck in 1987 (Mazda B-2000) It was just shy of 5k new

I lowered it, put new wheel and tires on, a shell....and about 10k in stereo gear.

I sold it less than 3 years later for 4k..

Verdict: Way too much modding. :roflsquared: