How often do you use the parking brake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending where you grew up, you were either taught to always use it or you were taught to just use it when parking on hills, etc.

Wondering what the census was for the forum? Do you always use it or only sometimes?

RedFalcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I always use it but that's probably because my other car is a standard so pure habit. I actually managed to break the plastic trim that releases the parking brake. It still works but it completely broke along the top and just hangs there loosely now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use it when I park in my driveway bc its a good incline. So every day would be the answer however if I park on a flat surface I don't use it

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pretty much never use mine but maybe I should start using it every so often to prevent seizing.

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I only use it when I have a trailer and am loading and unloading the sxs from the trailer so the transmission doesn’t get the abuse. Only other time would be on a steep grade. I grew up that if you used it in the winter you risked the brake freezing engaged, so only use it when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever I park on a incline/decline or everytime I park while I'm towing

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always use it. Was advised many years ago by an automatic trans mechanic that it's not good to rely on the Park pawl inside the transmission exclusively. Maybe that component in the 8-speeds is "high speed, low drag" (super strong) compared to the older Mopar automatics, but regardless, I always engage the parking brake too.

tylerlewis_89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use to use mine everyday then one day it seized up and didn't release on the wheels and ended up cooking my rotors and pads and I haven't used it since bin about 2.5 years

2011 Laramie crew,295/65R20 Toyo AT2s extreme,bully dog tuner, led light conversion inside and out, iron cross bumper,12,000lbs warnwinch 1/2" spectra line,levelled,red bumper halos with led fog lights,black grills with led pods behind

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Always use it. Was advised many years ago by an automatic trans mechanic that it's not good to rely on the Park pawl inside the transmission exclusively. Maybe that component in the 8-speeds is "high speed, low drag" (super strong) compared to the older Mopar automatics, but regardless, I always engage the parking brake too.
^^^^X2! Big truck puts a lot of stress on that little tiny parking pawl in the transmission. Easy enough to use parking brake to take some of the strain off.
Far easier to renew parking brake when changing brake shoes than to drop th e tranny and fish out the chunks of a broken parking pawl.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
only use it when i drive a manual and when on a boat ramp or loading a trailer, never had any trans failure from leaving the truck in park...

not that its good to do but one day i had a brain fart (much younger) in my dads 96 second gen and threw it in park at like 15mph, truck instantly locked the rear wheels and sustained no damage, and IMO if a 2nd gen trans can survive something then any trans can survive it since we all know a 2nd gen had horrible transmissions

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only when parking on a steep incline/decline.... otherwise never.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not usually on the flats, but I use it otherwise on my 17 Express. The retaining clip on my old ram's release handle broke so I basically quit using it after that.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Used to never use it, had it freeze up on a few older vehicles. I try to exercise it once and a while now. Usually only “use” it when hooking up a trailer. Just to stop the truck from rolling that few inches after putting in park.

bookemdanno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I use mine every time, but some reason I never use it when I park inside the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everytime I get out of my truck.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Like orhers have said, at the boat ramp or when loading something on the car trailer otherwise it does not get used.