How is the shifter solenoid noise normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i've read a bunch of threads seems mainly the 2013's did this, and everyone says its normal. But my 2017 just randomly started today. When in park and you touch or left off the brake both ways you can hear the solenoid rattling to lock the dial.

So ok thats fine its normal. But why if its normal does it start doing it at 5k miles and doesn't do it before? If it was normal shouldn't it do it all the time not randomly? I turned the truck off an on and it still does it.

And if normal its annoying as it makes the truck sound like a piece of crap if anyone is riding with me.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 2016 I can hear the solenoid move every time since day 1 when I bought the truck new. It doesn't make a "rattling" sound though... that seems weird.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Identical to this with each brake touch and let off just like his: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmt7sqFgpU[/URL]

Haven't checked with dealer yet but read like 20 threads and everyone came to the conclusion its normal. But then some people say theirs doesn't do it. Which makes me say how is that normal?

And mine has always done it on start up. Its just the touching the brake thing is new

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does it. That solenoid is releasing the lock on the dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 does it, I can hear the selenoid every time I press the brake pedal when it is in park.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 started doing it, and I complained to the dealer cuz it was louder than a locking door.

They said it was normal and there was nothing they could do....I said no it isn't.

I told them I did not want it back until it was fixed.

They called me the next day....they actually checked, and the solenoid was loose and had gotten cocked, and they repositioned and tightened it up...4 1/2 yrs later, no more noise.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine mysteriously quit again. Now it's quiet when I push the brake in park. I think if it does it again I'm going to go complain until they fix it. I'm going to take a video of it not making the noise so if it does I can show them it's not normal

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Mine started doing it after a severely cold night of -22*...Dealer said the noise is normal...After further research, found out that when that selonoid finally completely fails it will lock out the gear shift lever, leaving you stranded...Mine also makes the same selonoid open/close sound when you activate the door lock switch...loooool

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My 2013 did it, same as the Youtube video that bchap05 posted above. Figured it was normal, was easy to get used to for me. Then I got my 2014, and it doesn't do it. You can still hear it if you're perfectly quiet and stereo off, but its 10% or less of the volume my 2013 was.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Identical to this with each brake touch and let off just like his: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmt7sqFgpU[/URL]

Haven't checked with dealer yet but read like 20 threads and everyone came to the conclusion its normal. But then some people say theirs doesn't do it. Which makes me say how is that normal?

And mine has always done it on start up. Its just the touching the brake thing is new

Gotcha. Yes, that is how mine sounds but I can only hear it if I have no music going and am really listening for it. Has done it since day one off the lot. I wouldn't worry about it.