HVAC stuck on defrost/loud clicking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

checkeredskim89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I have a 2009 Ram 1500 crew cab and last week when I started the truck up I heard a loud clicking coming from behind the stereo and the air would not switch back over to anything but defrost. I did some research and decided it was the blend door actuator. So I ordered one off Amazon $20 and it was an easy replacement. All was good for about a week and now it started again this morning! I eventually got it to switch to upper air but it's still making a loud clicking when truck starts up. Anyone have an idea what could be cause this? I am going to take it back apart this evening and see if the actuator broke again or if it could be something else broke.

OP
OP
C

checkeredskim89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Btw I called my local dealer and they said the recall AC controller flash had already been done in 2011

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The splines in the door that the actuator go into are likely stripped

OP
OP
C

checkeredskim89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'll look tonight, do you know if you have to take the whole dash apart to replace the door itself? I had to do that on my 2005 ram and it was not fun..

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look where the actuator engages the door. And try to spin the door with a screw driver. If it spins freely it is messed up. The dash needs to come out if that is the case

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Could just be the actuator motor. I have replaced one in my wife's old Charger, and two in my current Mercury. Cheap plastic crap.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the actuator was not a mopar one, just be aware many people have had them fail very quickly. If it was the blend door motor and the gear stripped, depending on which gear did, you can move the large gear 180* out and it should work fine. I did it with mine and it is going on four years now.

The pictures below (1) shows the blend door actuator so it is easy to test for free operation. (2) Stripped gear shown that I turned 180* out. You may have to adjust it a tooth or two to slip it right in the HVAC unit.

P8210408_zps785d5317.jpg

P8210409_zps8d6ffcd4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

checkeredskim89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Unbelievable... ramzaq you were right. I took it apart again today and the gears appeared to be fine on both of the actuators. So I switched them and started it up and then the actuator to the left started clicking. So the new one I got broke in less then a week. So I am returning it and will go to local auto parts to find another one to try. I'm just glad it's easy to get to

OP
OP
C

checkeredskim89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Thanks for everyone's help! I went to O'Reilly and picked up another actuator for $30 and all if good now! And by buying it at O'Reilly they give you a lifetime warranty on the part, so if it breaks again Im covered.