I decided to plastidip all the chrome over the weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In order for it to hold on strong and come of easily you have to apply several coats to it, to build a strong durable piece.

The thing about plastic dip is that it's hard to keep clean you really have to up keep it and have it clean in order for it to look good.

Hopefully it works out for you

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
(Not because I fkin hate plastidip)

I personally think the chrome looks way better on the red and blue trucks.

When I see flat black bumpers.. Just kinda decreases the value in my mind.. Like its a base model with manual windows/locks.

I think "fleet." But hey, looks good.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7

f374a5b23bb1581a745c09c6be7cfba1.jpg

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wanting to do the same but my truck is gloss black over silver/gray, and not sure how it'll look with flat black or even satin trim.

2003 1500 QuadCab 5.7 4x4

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks nice

did you spray right over the front and rear bumper sensors? if so how does it effect them?

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looks nice

did you spray right over the front and rear bumper sensors? if so how does it effect them?

I sprayed over mine a few weeks back. About 8 coats of black and glossifier combined and they worked like a charm. Not issues at all

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question(s): did you do anything to the chrome first?
Did you do the emblems while they were on the truck? And if so, how did you mask them off so efficiently?
How many coats?
Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

All I did was wipe it down to make sure it was clean, taped off what I didn't want covered and then started spraying.

Nice I done the same,thing this weekend I have the outdoorsman so single the chrome stood out with all the black already... How many coats did you do on the rims any gloss on them?

I did 6-8 coats depending on the area. No gloss on them at all.

looks nice

Basically what kml9491 said, I sprayed right over them with about 8 coats and no issues with the sensors. I googled it beforehand and there are a few other people who have done it as well.

I know Plastidip is definitely not for everyone but going colormatched will run me about $2500+, this is just something to hold me over until that time comes. As a bonus, I haven't seen anyone here in San Diego with anything to similar which is nice.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I have 12 cans of plastidip for any of the cheap hipsters that want it... local pickup only.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I have 12 cans of plastidip for any of the cheap hipsters that want it... local pickup only.

For free? Ship them to me. I'll pay shipping. Should only be like $15 to Louisiana.

So JaviJ01 when is the Plasti dip awareness meeting? lol

Looks good though. I love plasti dip. It just doesn't love my grille. lol

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
For free? Ship them to me. I'll pay shipping. Should only be like $15 to Louisiana.

So JaviJ01 when is the Plasti dip awareness meeting? lol

Looks good though. I love plasti dip. It just doesn't love my grille. lol
I'll have to check my numbers... it may be less, cause I honestly haven't looked at them in almost a year. I originally bought 15 cans and planned to do some Optima wheels, but hated the look and gave up. Didn't really wanna go through the shipping hassle of a hazardous material.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

I'll have to check my numbers... it may be less, cause I honestly haven't looked at them in almost a year. I originally bought 15 cans and planned to do some Optima wheels, but hated the look and gave up. Didn't really wanna go through the shipping hassle of a hazardous material.

Let me know. 70809 Business address.