I decided to plastidip all the chrome over the weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to check my numbers... it may be less, cause I honestly haven't looked at them in almost a year. I originally bought 15 cans and planned to do some Optima wheels, but hated the look and gave up. Didn't really wanna go through the shipping hassle of a hazardous material.

where in Houston? im in Cypress & Katy area

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
So I want to do my truck but have some questions?

I know just tape off what I don't want painted then just peal around my emblems.

If it just peals off then when you wash your truck or power wash it will it come off then?

Also of or when I don't want it on any more I can peal it at any time?

How long does it last do you need to do more coats later?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(Not because I fkin hate plastidip)

I personally think the chrome looks way better on the red and blue trucks.

When I see flat black bumpers.. Just kinda decreases the value in my mind.. Like its a base model with manual windows/locks.

I think "fleet." But hey, looks good.

I'm in the same boat as these guys. You could've easily pulled this off with no probs if your paint job was black. Doing it on a colored truck though I have to agree with the above two guys. I was actually thinking of doing something similar with Line-X on mine but the response I got from another member to that idea really struck home with me:
So heres the thing with these trucks. they look good with chrome bumpers, or they look good with color matched bumpers. If you paint your bumper black, and you have a silver truck its going to look like complete ****. You NEED to have color matched bumpers to replace the chrome accents with black. so that means your grille and wheels would need to be blacked out, and to make it pop you would need black quads as well. Honestly tho I am not a fan of black painted grills (no offence Rz) but if theres one color it dosnt look horrible on, its silver..

A base model Tradesman has black bumpers and they look cheap and thrown together. Also note that the outdoorsman is 2 tone, but they carry the bumper color around the side to make it look better.

If I were you I would look for some express bumpers or have yours painted silver.

as a disclaimer: this is all my opinion of course
Bang on. I decided to run with the chrome but it's a generational thing. The younger crowd prefer color matching, many of us old farts like to polish that chrome up to a mirror finish. There's so many people running "murdered out" black trucks now that I feel it's become a common trendy thing now that doesn't have any originality appeal to it anymore, especially with the OEM's jumping on it and selling that look from factory, so now you just see truck clones everywhere. I always enjoy seeing those rare 3rd gens people have modded up nicely with custom grilles and bumpers etc, they really do stand out from the rest. At the end of the day though, it's your truck not anyone else's, and you should do what makes YOU happy. I have a coworker who mocks any 3rd party accents at all but I like them. If you obsess too much over internet forum opinions on looks you'll eventually soon discover nothing looks up to what others here like and you'll be running in circles. For example I like the looks of those lifted chrome trucks with those after market riveted 3rd party mesh grilles. Like this:
a0380d8e1e54fcbfa6b8a4ff28d6d3c3.jpg
I like the truck above because it looks redneck. Pretty much every Sport edition owner I've ever met doesn't. Because they're two totally different schools of preference. Find your preference and do what you like :)

Last edited:

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
^ I think that truck looks amazing.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
The '11 is the truck I have now. It's kind of a mash up at the moment :roflsquared: I bought it less than a year ago and have slowly been trying to get it right. I had to do $1400 in paint repairs right off the bat which took most of the mod budget last year but I still got the bug deflector, fender flares, and mud flaps on. I am planning on ditching the chrome on mine for black since the front bumper is big and black along with all the plastic parts. Then my father-in-law gifted me the shiny tool box for Christmas. He may not like it, and it'll be the last thing to change, but it's going to get a coat of something to make it black lol The black out game is the annoying fad right now, I know, but I'm not ditching the $900 bumper/guard that was on the truck when I bought it. The chrome grille looks silly behind it and if I fix that the chrome wheels and rear bumper look even more out of place.....ugh....I'm going to refuse to plastidip anything. It looks good when it's fresh but to me it's a temporary fix. Powder coating is the way to go IMO.

The '06 is the truck I sold because the cab wasn't big enough for car seats. That was a pretty truck. I pretty much had that one looking the way I wanted. I went with polished stainless on the nerf steps and the brush guard. No cheap dee zee chrome plated rust investments there! :naughty:

Attachments

• KIMG0190.jpg
    KIMG0190.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20141021_175842.jpg
    IMG_20141021_175842.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 80

Rodney77

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the heads-up. I will buy stock in Plasti-Dip tomorrow because you will be buying cases of it! I see you have a Florida license plate so I am sure you are well aware of Love Bugs. Those little missiles will take your dip right off. However, as long as you keep the truck in your driveway and do not wash it, it should last a long time. I speak from experience as my son did this to anything that did not move on his car. Once it started to peel away he had a bunch of friends come over and had a "peeling party". Not much sticks to chrome (except love bugs) and unfortunately you will find this out soon....

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Love bugs lol....

bishopcm84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I know nothing about this except what I just read here...looking on the plastidip website they say to use a sprayer, after reading through here it looks like most just use the can...is there really a difference? And around how much would I need to hit the chrome on my big horn? Oh and where's the she's pest place people have found it? Thanks! 24c8cbddc87b4ff61ac7a3614408815c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I want to say it was $6 a can at Lowe's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I like the look. don't like plastidip.

when my bumper needs some help from all the chips in the future (years ahead) I will just take them off and pay to have them rhino lined black inside and out. or I may do the DIY roll on stuff as it is very strong too. just doesn't look as good as Rhino.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I like the look. don't like plastidip.

when my bumper needs some help from all the chips in the future (years ahead) I will just take them off and pay to have them rhino lined black inside and out. or I may do the DIY roll on stuff as it is very strong too. just doesn't look as good as Rhino.

That stuff is good. I know a couple of people who have used it. I would use it on some parts of a dedicated off-road vehicle. There are actually a couple other brands who's names escape me at the moment. LE also uses it. Def makes that Chevy look no nonsense.

Attachments

• 10147516906_829b4a29d2_b.jpg
    10147516906_829b4a29d2_b.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 56

bishopcm84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just did a test spot on the 4x4 on the tailgate, I like how it looked, I think I didn't let it dry enough before peeling the tape and some of the color came up off the badge...thoughts?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did a test spot on the 4x4 on the tailgate, I like how it looked, I think I didn't let it dry enough before peeling the tape and some of the color came up off the badge...thoughts?

From the tape being removed?

The chrome came off the badge or your paint?

Pics?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(Not because I fkin hate plastidip)

I personally think the chrome looks way better on the red and blue trucks.

When I see flat black bumpers.. Just kinda decreases the value in my mind.. Like its a base model with manual windows/locks.

I have to be a naysayer this time (sorry RZ!!) because while I think it looks kinda cool on small truck pieces, I agree with AB on this one. You turned a very attractive trim model into a company service truck by doing the bumpers. There's a guy named Matthew who has a build thread with either an slt or bighorn. This is his truck. People even replied in his thread saying they hated chrome but loved how it looks on his. If he rattle canned that truck it would look god awful.1a718ac494aad57fa149a90183ca8888.jpg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have to be a naysayer this time (sorry RZ!!) because while I think it looks kinda cool on small truck pieces, I agree with AB on this one. You turned a very attractive trim model into a company service truck by doing the bumpers. There's a guy named Matthew who has a build thread with either an slt or bighorn. This is his truck. People even replied in his thread saying they hated chrome but loved how it looks on his. If he rattle canned that truck it would look god awful.1a718ac494aad57fa149a90183ca8888.jpg

i HATE CHROME AND THAT TRUCK LOOKS GOOD

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah Matthew's truck is sick.