I did it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well everyone, I did it. I traded in my 15 ram big horn crew cab 1500 5.7 hemi 34,700 miles for 16 ram slt crew cab 2500 with the Cummins engine 33560 miles. The little bit of driving I did there is not much difference between smoothness on the road between my old truck and new truck. The mpg according to the meter, comparing both vehicles they are the same or just a tad better with the cummins over the 5.7 hemi on the expressway. I will be headed to Georgia at the end of the month pulling my 7600 pound 35 foot camper so that will tell me if there is any major difference. The price I paid was 43900 with tag tax and title and they paid my truck off. The new truck has new tires all the way around, my old truck was going to need new tires. My old truck had a crack halfway across the front windshield and several major dings in the bed on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 345

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Congrats. Nice rig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats. Nice rig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I hope it serves me well. Since it's my daily driver I wanted the better fuel mileage that the cummins will give vs what the hemi would provide in the 2500 and when I pulling the trailer I was at my weight limits for the 1500.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
my Cummins got about the same as my 5.7 does running around empty but towing is where the difference is, between the pulling power and fuel mileage.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the upgrade

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice upgrade! Good luck with that Cummins.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my Cummins got about the same as my 5.7 does running around empty but towing is where the difference is, between the pulling power and fuel mileage.

What kind of mileage are you getting when you tow? I get Between 8- 9 mpg when I towed my 35 foot 7600 pound trailer with the 5.7 hemi. The sad thing was I had plenty of power pulling towing but I knew the trailer was back there and I got bobbing up-and-down motion between the truck in the trailer.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have a 28ft camper and got 12/13 on stock size tires and Iam not to easy on the throttle.
I deleted and did efilive with 100hp tune and got the same with 35s then later added a s465 turbo with a second gen manifold my foot took over and mileage dropped...lol

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Didn't you post that you decided not to do it for the 20k difference and just bought a lifetime warranty.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. I just picked up a new 1500 today too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Congrats on your Cummins.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The mpg according to the meter, comparing both vehicles they are the same or just a tad better with the cummins over the 5.7 hemi on the expressway. I will be headed to Georgia at the end of the month pulling my 7600 pound 35 foot camper so that will tell me if there is any major difference.

You may forget there is a trailer attached to the truck. You'll probably never want to go back to pulling a trailer with a truck that has spark plugs.
My buddy gets 11 when towing his 13K lbs fifth wheel.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't you post that you decided not to do it for the 20k difference and just bought a lifetime warranty.

Yes I did. The dealer called me back and they came off their numbers. The life time warranty will be picked up on the new truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

What kind of mileage are you getting when you tow? I get Between 8- 9 mpg when I towed my 35 foot 7600 pound trailer with the 5.7 hemi. The sad thing was I had plenty of power pulling towing but I knew the trailer was back there and I got bobbing up-and-down motion between the truck in the trailer.

That's called porporsing. That's a problem when you tow heavy with a half ton truck. That's why a lot of folks add air bags.

In your other post i don't think you mentioned what you were towing or I'd have commented in that thread.

Very very nice rig, congratulations. Great move. Great you could transfer that lifetime warranty to the new truck!

IMO a 35 foot trailer, regardless of weight is 3/4 ton truck territory. I'd bet you dollars to donuts you were over you payload limit on that half ton if you scaled it. That 35 foot rig is like a big sail (ie tail) just waiting to wag the dog (half ton)

My 15 Silverado pulled my 6k lb tt great. Plenty of power, even up in the mountains. However, even with the WDH engaged it did squat the rear end pretty hard, and the WDH was adjusted properly. It brought the back of the truck down so it sat level or just slightly lower than the front, and chevrolet has a lot of forward rake so that's saying something. We're looking at a Jayco 26 bh, which is 7k gross and over 29 feet long and i knew with that behind the Chevy I'd be very close or over my payload limit, and I'd bet that chevy 1500 had more payload than your dodge 1500 did chevy had 1704 lbs of pay.

I like to have more margin than most so that's part of the reason i just upgraded myself. Plus a year and a half ago when i got the Chevy i really wanted a white, 3/4 ton with trailer tow mirrors, but i compromised and convinced myself i didn't really "need" 3/4 ton for what i was pulling. So I'm very happy and feel blessed to have been able to make the move. The slip on trailer mirrors i was dealing with on the chevy were a total pita and i couldn't see squat out of them. Love the Dodge oem trailer mirrors. Chevy dealer wanted $1200 to put them on my chevy, what a joke.

You won't regret it. I love my truck and don't miss that chevy at all. I think going forward, if i have the means I'll own 3/4 ton trucks. It's just so much more truck all the way around.

My chevy always felt like a low rider compared to ford and dodge, it had a soft ride, felt more like a car than a truck. My 2500 is all truck and it feels like it, feels the way a truck should be, but I'm old school. It's s piece of equipment compared to that chevy which felt like a car with a bed on it. Again, just my opinion. Nothing wrong with a 1/2 ton truck. That's why they build em.

Congrats again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's called porporsing. That's a problem when you tow heavy with a half ton truck. That's why a lot of folks add air bags.

In your other post i don't think you mentioned what you were towing or I'd have commented in that thread.

Very very nice rig, congratulations. Great move. Great you could transfer that lifetime warranty to the new truck!

IMO a 35 foot trailer, regardless of weight is 3/4 ton truck territory. I'd bet you dollars to donuts you were over you payload limit on that half ton if you scaled it. That 35 foot rig is like a big sail (ie tail) just waiting to wag the dog (half ton)

My 15 Silverado pulled my 6k lb tt great. Plenty of power, even up in the mountains. However, even with the WDH engaged it did squat the rear end pretty hard, and the WDH was adjusted properly. It brought the back of the truck down so it sat level or just slightly lower than the front, and chevrolet has a lot of forward rake so that's saying something. We're looking at a Jayco 26 bh, which is 7k gross and over 29 feet long and i knew with that behind the Chevy I'd be very close or over my payload limit, and I'd bet that chevy 1500 had more payload than your dodge 1500 did chevy had 1704 lbs of pay.

I like to have more margin than most so that's part of the reason i just upgraded myself. Plus a year and a half ago when i got the Chevy i really wanted a white, 3/4 ton with trailer tow mirrors, but i compromised and convinced myself i didn't really "need" 3/4 ton for what i was pulling. So I'm very happy and feel blessed to have been able to make the move. The slip on trailer mirrors i was dealing with on the chevy were a total pita and i couldn't see squat out of them. Love the Dodge oem trailer mirrors. Chevy dealer wanted $1200 to put them on my chevy, what a joke.

You won't regret it. I love my truck and don't miss that chevy at all. I think going forward, if i have the means I'll own 3/4 ton trucks. It's just so much more truck all the way around.

My chevy always felt like a low rider compared to ford and dodge, it had a soft ride, felt more like a car than a truck. My 2500 is all truck and it feels like it, feels the way a truck should be, but I'm old school. It's s piece of equipment compared to that chevy which felt like a car with a bed on it. Again, just my opinion. Nothing wrong with a 1/2 ton truck. That's why they build em.

Congrats again!

I Tow a 2016 Coachmen Apex. I was pretty close to payload which was 1540 on my 15 ram. If I did go over it was not much but I don't think I did. My GCVR was rated at 13800 and I was bumping it. I was sitting pretty level with truck and trailer especially after I put the tufttruck springs in the Ram.I will know in two weeks how the 2500 and I will let everyone know

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Congrats

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a picture of the interior; I really like the color.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 72

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Here is a picture of the interior; I really like the color.

Sweet! I love the black seats. Wish that was an option for my truck. Looks like new! Nice.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I Tow a 2016 Coachmen Apex. I was pretty close to payload which was 1540 on my 15 ram. If I did go over it was not much but I don't think I did. My GCVR was rated at 13800 and I was bumping it. I was sitting pretty level with truck and trailer especially after I put the tufttruck springs in the Ram.I will know in two weeks how the 2500 and I will let everyone know

Sounds good, yes, I'd like to know how it goes, i know already I'm going to need a very large drop shank to get my trailer level with this 2500.

My Chevy didn't have any air bags which is why it squatted so much. The suspension is too soft to support the heavier weight TTs like ours.