I guess Ford isn't built tough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ram should test this out, weird I don't think I have ever come across a Ram ad.

[yt]BTm2F4ysQrE[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Wow, pretty interesting. Ram has gone to thinner metal to save weight also, I know mine will dent pretty easy on body panels.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, pretty interesting. Ram has gone to thinner metal to save weight also, I know mine will dent pretty easy on body panels.

You can still use a truck with dented body panels. Splitting the bed open like that is another matter. A truck needs to be tough in the places. That said, my 2015 Ram bed doesn't seem particularly robust, either. But I'd bet (and hope) it's tougher than that aluminum bed. I get going to aluminum for some panels--hood, roof, maybe doors, etc. But the bed? Does seem sketchy.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I usually discount those manufacturer strength comparison video as most times they are what I call "engineered failures" that have almost no relevance in the real world.

This one though is pretty telling and had me at the empty tool box test as I have had like situations load tools and equipment in my truck.

Looks like FORD screwed the pooch on this rush to all aluminum.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can still use a truck with dented body panels. Splitting the bed open like that is another matter. A truck needs to be tough in the places. That said, my 2015 Ram bed doesn't seem particularly robust, either. But I'd bet (and hope) it's tougher than that aluminum bed. I get going to aluminum for some panels--hood, roof, maybe doors, etc. But the bed? Does seem sketchy.

My thoughts exactly... Aluminum bed?? Come on... I will give Ford credit though as they did get one thing right.... They circled their problem. ;)

Adam

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Let me see if I got this right. I just spent $40-50K on a pickup and I dumped 55 cinder blocks into the bed without a bed liner or Line-x coating from a few feet in the air. I'll also bet the height was carefully chosen, a foot less no holes in the Ford, a foot or two higher, holes in the GM.

I'm not a Ford fan but for the love of any truck, don't you think the dents in the steel bed are gonna rust pretty quickly. If I were Ford, I'd post a few shots of GM pickups rusted out after a few years and a few more shots of them running red lights as someone, like me, loses all the brakes in my Silverado because the cheap ass steel brake lines rusted out.

Last edited:

bamagrad03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This video looks bad, but these videos always look bad. No truck is perfect and it seems like every manufacturer could make a similar video picking out a competitor's weakness.

That being said, the tool box drop is a pretty real world scenario, and not a good look. (Though I'd still buy a Ford truck. I'm guessing a decent bed liner would remedy most of these woes)

2000GM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would think it would have been pretty easy to still make the internal box out of steel, with the outer sides being aluminum.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I usually discount those manufacturer strength comparison video as most times they are what I call "engineered failures" that have almost no relevance in the real world.

This one though is pretty telling and had me at the empty tool box test as I have had like situations load tools and equipment in my truck.

Looks like FORD screwed the pooch on this rush to all aluminum.
Yeah, because if they'd gone mostly aluminum and put on a steel bed the galvanic corrosion would have been wicked. So by putting so much aluminum in the rest of the truck they had no choice. Major *****!

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
No one in their right mind would do that without some sort of bed liner.. Linex or even the plastic one would have protected it. I just came out of 2 Fords (150 and 250 SD) and would buy again over any GM truck...

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
No one in their right mind would do that without some sort of bed liner.. Linex or even the plastic one would have protected it. I just came out of 2 Fords (150 and 250 SD) and would buy again over any GM truck...

Look around at work trucks, the kind that would actually see this kind of abuse. A whole lot of them do not have bed liners...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10

you'd think that to be the case, but I've seen two of my friends do something pretty similar. I don't know how such a bad example of poor judgment happens, but it does. Maybe it's a combination of ignorance, carelessness, maybe a little alcohol involvement, too.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me see if I got this right. I just spent $40-50K on a pickup and I dumped 55 cinder blocks into the bed without a bed liner or Line-x coating from a few feet in the air. I'll also bet the height was carefully chosen, a foot less no holes in the Ford, a foot or two higher, holes in the GM.

I'm not a Ford fan but for the love of any truck, don't you think the dents in the steel bed are gonna rust pretty quickly. If I were Ford, I'd post a few shots of GM pickups rusted out after a few years and a few more shots of them running red lights as someone, like me, loses all the brakes in my Silverado because the cheap ass steel brake lines rusted out.

Watch the video closely - looks like the drop height for the Ford was about a foot higher than the Chevy. Might just be camera angle, but then again we are talking about a company claiming they have the most awards last year - I didn't know recalls were awards... :crazy:

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What happens with both trucks use a factory spray in bed liner? Similar results? If you're gonna beat up your bed and want it to last shouldn't you put in a beeline anyways ?

Not really trying to defend the Ford but there are compromises to saving weight in attempt to increase efficiency on these trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that most people using the bed will put in a liner, however some people won't and that is one expensive repair...

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know my 2015 Ram has a pretty tough bed. I had a motor/tranny dropped in it. It was a big v8 and HD truck transmission. It fell off the cherry picker about 16 inches off the bed. I have a pretty good couple dents but no punctures.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I don't get this criticism. Obviously nobody would do that to a brand new or even old truck. But the test is clearly intended to simulate many years of using it for work and the day-to-day accidents and abuse that occurs. People that use their trucks for actual work, day in and day out, actually do routinely bang up the bed by dropping materials, etc. The bed punctures too easily, period.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Obviously nobody would do that to a brand new or even old truck.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the general public. :)

I've seen guys do some pretty stupid things to brand new, expensive purchases, and then they try to get them worked on under warranty or even return them.

But I agree with the liner comments. A good quality bed liner would probably take care of that.