I guess Ford isn't built tough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*Real people, Not actors*

Yeah, and they had NO idea they were in a Chevy commercial LMAO

Even if you cut the cord to your TV 2 years ago.... you couldn't have avoided the bearded spokesman they've bombarded us with in these *hidden camera* ads.
Hell....even if you glanced at a TV for 30 seconds while making your way through the airport, You know that guy as the Chevy shill.

GD these ads are stupid...

Is it a BMW?
An Audi perhaps?
Maybe a Lamborghini?*

OMFG... are you serious? It's a Chevy Malibu!!!! WOW !!!!

* added as a satirical effect.... No one thought the POS was a Lambo :p

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Even if you cut the cord to your TV 2 years ago.... you couldn't have avoided the bearded spokesman they've bombarded us with in these *hidden camera* ads.
Hell....even if you glanced at a TV for 30 seconds while making your way through the airport, You know that guy as the Chevy shill.

Is it a BMW?
An Audi perhaps?
Maybe a Lamborghini?*

***** trueeee[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel

Is it a BMW?
An Audi perhaps?
Maybe a Lamborghini?*

*****! Love it! I said the same **** to my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are a ton of work trucks that do not have bedliners, nor will they because they were bought on a fleet sale. Each unit cost is as little as possible etc. These vehicles also have people that did not buy them using them, so tool boxes and rocks/sand/stone is not too far fetched. These same guys that drive the fleet truck also tend to select their personal trucks based on the toughness and reliability of the truck they use as work. So this is one of the places that they may see the sales slump. The toughness of the truck over the long term and used market will probably also translate to sales 10 years from now.

Look how long is has taken ram to get back to where they are because of the unrealiable transmissions and fall apart interiors of the 2nd gen trucks. They were huge sellers new, when the problems came up, it took a while to get back to serious truck sales (late 3rd/4th gen)

I think Ford is not worried about it right now, but I think they could see a slump in the future. They shouldn't discount the good old boy purchase made based on the toughness of their buddies truck that he has had for years...

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really didn't care for the commercial but the bed being made out of aluminum wasn't the greatest choice. It's not going to hold up and a simple toss of a crowbar will puncture the aluminum much easier then a steel bed.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

curtis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me see if I got this right. I just spent $40-50K on a pickup and I dumped 55 cinder blocks into the bed without a bed liner or Line-x coating from a few feet in the air. I'll also bet the height was carefully chosen, a foot less no holes in the Ford, a foot or two higher, holes in the GM.

I'm not a Ford fan but for the love of any truck, don't you think the dents in the steel bed are gonna rust pretty quickly. If I were Ford, I'd post a few shots of GM pickups rusted out after a few years and a few more shots of them running red lights as someone, like me, loses all the brakes in my Silverado because the cheap ass steel brake lines rusted out.

I would be more concerned of the demonstration of the toolbox than the blocks

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wow, pretty interesting. Ram has gone to thinner metal to save weight also, I know mine will dent pretty easy on body panels.

I will attest to this. I had a shopping cart hit my bed side right in front of the passenger rear wheel 6 days after i pick up the truck. the dent was literally only 6" short of being the entire height of the bed...top to bottom......form a shopping cart..

super thin

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
dont know what it is called but the front of our bed that is up against the back of our cabs is SUPER THIN too. it "oil pans" bad when you give it a good thump with you hand. it is very concerning how thin that spot is. i know it will be damaged eventually.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would think it would have been pretty easy to still make the internal box out of steel, with the outer sides being aluminum.

Then it would need a bigger motor

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
528422a881eb7238120e987d03a71126.jpg

Every time I see this commercial, I always think "I don't remember seeing any military grade Aluminum in Iraq." Lol. The enemy would love that! They would just throw red tool boxes at us! Hault an entire convoy!

"Sir! Stop the truck!" - 88m

"Whadda see ahead, another IED?" -convoy CMDR

"No sir, they are armed with red tool boxes" -88m

"They know our armors weakness! They will punch straight through our high strength military grade Aluminum! Fall back!" - CMDR

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the real issue with the Al right now is body shops most have no ability or skill in welding Al it is a whole different skill set in welding

a steel bed could have been done they would just have to use a non reactive panel sealer

OP
OP
H

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ford is tough,I was a doubter;but now i'm a believer

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford is tough,I was a doubter;but now i'm a believer

I had a lifted 01' F250 V10 and I traded it at 115k miles.

Truth told.....I only had one issue during my ownership and that was an Idle air control valve.

It was like a $30 piece at autozone.

No complaints about ford from me.

The 02' F150 in my driveway currently needs a sparkplug job. Has about 77k on the ticker. Still runs strong

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that's bad.

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
the real issue with the Al right now is body shops most have no ability or skill in welding Al it is a whole different skill set in welding

a steel bed could have been done they would just have to use a non reactive panel sealer

Tig welding that light of a gauge aluminum... no thanks

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Tig welding that light of a gauge aluminum... no thanks

yes sir, me neither.

the Heat affected zone when welding aluminum that thin can crack much easier.... well after the weld has taken place.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coming at it from an engineering stand point, I bet if you did a sample size of 30~40 GM trucks with that exact load, and another 30~40 of the Fords, you might end up with equal results - it is very possible they got lucky that one failed (or even possible they did some grinding on the back side where we can't see it to tip the odds in their favor, it IS a marketing campaign after all)...

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
528422a881eb7238120e987d03a71126.jpg

Every time I see this commercial, I always think "I don't remember seeing any military grade Aluminum in Iraq." Lol. The enemy would love that! They would just throw red tool boxes at us! Hault an entire convoy!

"Sir! Stop the truck!" - 88m

"Whadda see ahead, another IED?" -convoy CMDR

"No sir, they are armed with red tool boxes" -88m

"They know our armors weakness! They will punch straight through our high strength military grade Aluminum! Fall back!" - CMDR
Back in my day some IFV's had magnesium hulls. Talk about a rolling burning coffin!