impossible to get a full tank if gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Mine goes a little bit past the "full" knotch as well when it shuts off automatically. Ill usually put a little more in and round to the nearest "5" or "0" in cents to accommodate my ocd.

Here in Canada they did away with the penny. If you put in $50.03 you pay $50, Put in $50.04 you pay $50.05. So it makes sense to stop at $0.03 over or round it to $0.08. Free gas is free gas.
If you pay cash. Cards will take exact.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you ask a dumb question you get ******** answers as indicated by all the pages of wasted time and bandwidth.
If you felt this thread was a waste of time we all might have been better off without your input. For me however, it wasn't a waste of time at all. I now know other Rams can fill past the full mark, continue to fill after the shut off. So most likely I have an issue with my sending unit. Thanks to the people who decided to take their time with positive answers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just filled up today. Didn't attempt any more after pump stopped itself...never do.

This is exactly how my gauge looks after a fill up, and I also never attempt to put more fuel in after it clicks.

If I am filling up from gas light on (which is rare, I usually fill up when I get below a quarter tank left) my truck will usually take 26-27 gallons and I have a 32 gallon tank. This doesn't mean it should have room to force an extra few gallons in, it just means that the truck holds reserve fuel and gives you the gas light warning in advance so that you don't risk running out completely. All modern vehicles do this.

OP - unless your OCD is about this is driving you absolutely insane I just would forget about it and not worry. And stop trying to force extra fuel in after the pump clicks. It is designed to do this for a reason. If you really want that extra gallon of gas for some reason, what is really the point? You shouldn't be driving your truck to empty on a consistent basis anyway. Try to stop and fill up once you get down below a quarter tank if possible. Might mean stopping at a gas station a couple days earlier than you are used to but it is better for your truck in the long run.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is exactly how my gauge looks after a fill up, and I also never attempt to put more fuel in after it clicks.

If I am filling up from gas light on (which is rare, I usually fill up when I get below a quarter tank left) my truck will usually take 26-27 gallons and I have a 32 gallon tank. This doesn't mean it should have room to force an extra few gallons in, it just means that the truck holds reserve fuel and gives you the gas light warning in advance so that you don't risk running out completely. All modern vehicles do this.

OP - unless your OCD is about this is driving you absolutely insane I just would forget about it and not worry. And stop trying to force extra fuel in after the pump clicks. It is designed to do this for a reason. If you really want that extra gallon of gas for some reason, what is really the point? You shouldn't be driving your truck to empty on a consistent basis anyway. Try to stop and fill up once you get down below a quarter tank if possible. Might mean stopping at a gas station a couple days earlier than you are used to but it is better for your truck in the long run.
Holy cow, one person says OCD and now it's a thing..I've mentioned at least once that this is not a big deal to me! I have no issues NOT getting another gallon of gas in my truck.. What I was wondering was if outer ram trucks were able to get more in after the clock and if they saw the gas needle reach the full mark or beyond.. Obviously some do get more in and have the needle post full. Let's put this to rest once and for all. Something is different or not working properly on my truck.. I can deal with that..I'm good!!! Thanks all..

Reece4879

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with 32 gallon fuel tank. Ran it until only 9 miles to empty . tank only held 26 gallons. Seems like it should hold more.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine reads over full too, although it's not a big deal at the full level, I wouldn't want to run out of gas with the needle not getting to empty having the same amount of discrepancy at the other end.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No matter where I go I can't seen to get my tank full. The needle always stops before the red full line. Is this a tank design flaw? Well not the tank but the filler line.

Seems to me if you're almost spilling gas when you pull the hose out--you have reached FULL.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems to me if you're almost spilling gas when you pull the hose out--you have reached FULL.
Yeah that's a pretty good assumption. It's basically a faulty needle reading, never points to the full Mark but obviously is full.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Last week I ran my tank as close to dry as I could...DTE said 12miles...I squeezed in 31.7 gallons...

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with 32 gallon fuel tank. Ran it until only 9 miles to empty . tank only held 26 gallons. Seems like it should hold more.

The 6 gallon DEF tank for the ecodiesel takes up the rest of the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
this is one of the most amusing threads i've read in a while.some of you need to have your heads checked.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I'll say it anyway...

Do not "top up" the tank. That's bad for your truck.