Interesting article on RAM and their "branding"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram gradually moving away from Dodge crosshair grille

Mostly talks about the new grille style. At first, I hated the new grille, but after seeing it in person, it's grown on me and I actually like it. I even thought the other day... "I wonder if the new grille would swap out with my current one".

Also, there is a slight mention of a half-size truck in the works in a few years.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
this news has been around for awhile now.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Limited and rebel grill don't do anything for me. Way to big.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they were so worried about differentiating themselves from Dodge they shouldn't have plastered Dodge all over my 2011 RAM. But it really does **** me off when I go to look up parts or accessories and some times it's under RAM and sometimes it's under Dodge. I can understand it for a couple of years, but we're now into the 7th model year of RAM. Come on people. And half the people I see have no clue that RAM is it's own brand now. Done ranting. Is it too early for a beer?

jcollins28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the end of the day it's a Dodge. I don't get that separation angle or what it is supposed to do? It's not like F-150 is going to be it's own line. There is no Ram dealers, you go to the Dodge dealer to buy a ram truck. GMC is it's own line of trucks with it's own dealer network. True it's just a Chevy with a different logo but GMC does have it's own dealer network and there is subtle differences.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
None of this is new news

If they were so worried about differentiating themselves from Dodge they shouldn't have plastered Dodge all over my 2011 RAM. But it really does **** me off when I go to look up parts or accessories and some times it's under RAM and sometimes it's under Dodge. I can understand it for a couple of years, but we're now into the 7th model year of RAM. Come on people. And half the people I see have no clue that RAM is it's own brand now. Done ranting. Is it too early for a beer?

That was early transition years where they were still linked in many ways. As of 2016 they have been making concerted efforts to split the two for a while. I'm lucky, as an '09 mine is a Dodge and doesn't get stuck between the two brands.

At the end of the day it's a Dodge. I don't get that separation angle or what it is supposed to do? It's not like F-150 is going to be it's own line. There is no Ram dealers, you go to the Dodge dealer to buy a ram truck. GMC is it's own line of trucks with it's own dealer network. True it's just a Chevy with a different logo but GMC does have it's own dealer network and there is subtle differences.

Technically, at the end of the day it's a Fiat-Chrysler, not a Dodge. We have Ram and Jeep dealers where I'm living since that's their primary market and they carry very few Dodge or Chrysler vehicles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ram was split into its own brand when chrysler was going down the tubes. it was split so it could be sold off.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not saying it is new news. I just thought it was interesting article about why they are changing the grille and the thought process behind it. They split RAM of separately for marketing purposes... everyone knows that. This article was on Google news this morning... just thought I'd share it.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't buy a truck from a dealer that still lists them as Dodge Ram

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is it too early for a beer?
It's never too early my friend :favorites13:

There is no Ram dealers, you go to the Dodge dealer to buy a ram truck. GMC is it's own line of trucks with it's own dealer network. True it's just a Chevy with a different logo but GMC does have it's own dealer network and there is subtle differences.

Bought my truck from a RAM dealer...:hmm:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All the dealers I've looked at, had dodge, chrysler, Jeep and ram on the sign.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting article on RAM and their "branding"

People still refer to mine as a dodge ram and I always get the urge to correct them. If I don't like them, I'll correct them lol

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

FWIW, GMC light truck dealerships were a way for non Chevy branded GM independent dealerships to have a way to sell trucks.

Given that most FCA dealerships brands are under one roof since FIAT took over with the exception of FIAT stand alone dealerships, the drive to spin off RAM as it's own brand does seem to be a little weird.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope they keep the cross hairs theme....that's what I like most about Dodge...errr RAM.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never too early .....Stay thirsty my friend !

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Honestly, I doubt I would buy another RAM if they ditch the crosshair grille. I'd liked to be proven wrong, but I can see how if they continue the transition to these cheap gaudy grilles.

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram gradually moving away from Dodge crosshair grille

Mostly talks about the new grille style. At first, I hated the new grille, but after seeing it in person, it's grown on me and I actually like it. I even thought the other day... "I wonder if the new grille would swap out with my current one".

Also, there is a slight mention of a half-size truck in the works in a few years.

I'm really curious what they are going to do in 2018?
I have a 14 Express, I really dislike chrome. I like the monotone paint.
From what I've read Ram is going to introduce 5th generation in 2018. I refuse to buy a 17 if the 18's are going to be a redesign. One other reason I'm sticking with my 14 is I LOVE my tuner and the ease of changing tunes.
I'm really hoping for a Hellcat Ram in 2018.

http://www.dodgerelease.com/2016/08/2018-dodge-ram-1500-hellcat-rumors.html

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A ram buddy and I were talking about our rams. He has an 11 4x4 quad cab. Anyways this other guy who has a 07 gmc is running his mouth about every issue he is having with it. Were listening to him, and he rattles off of how he likes the body style change... We had to explain to him it was just some exterior changes, but not a complete body style change.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452