Interesting Dealership Experience….What would you do? This is interesting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tuesday: Signed all the docs for a 2017 Crew Cab 4x4 Sport. Negotiated a 50/50 split for the cost of a spray-in bedliner

Wednesday: Truck arrives at dealership

Thursday Morning: Spray-in bedliner completed

Thursday Evening: Finance manager calls me into his office, and indicates that a mistake has been made with the numbers. The “deal sheet” properly captures the 50/50 split for the bed-liner, BUT their finance guy forgot to include it within the final finance papers (I signed on Tues). He states “ From one business man to another, let us do the right thing here, and redo the paperwork so we can include the cost of the bed-liner?” In essence, the bed-liner cost was not included so that point done at no cost to me.

Soooo…what would you do in this situation? :)

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chances are high that something else would muck up your deal if they do it over. I would ask them to just set up paper work separate of the truck deal for the just the bedliner. Ive had this happen also. not a bedliner but a set of factory wheels. It ended up messing up my bank info and other warranty info. They wrote it off as i am the 1st and 2nd owner of the car which in turn lessened the warranty.

I say make them do a separate deal or say thanks and walk away

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you should redo the paperwork. It was a mistake. They happen. If they had messed it up the other way I'm sure you wouldn't be alright with paying for the whole thing. Just remember Karma. I'm also guessing you signed a sales contract with the cost split and would be legally obligated to pay that amount.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
DO you want to have a good relationship with that particular dealer? If so, I would suggest not "redoing" any paperwork, I'd just cut him a check for half the liner.

If not, tell him to go pound sand.

In either case, I'd be VERY wary of any paperwork re-dos.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had something similar (different item, but same concept) happen to me at a Chrysler dealership 12 years ago.

They sat on my paperwork for two weeks while I drove the vehicle around and THEN called me in "to sign some more paperwork," because they assumed I would just pay it and move on.

How did I handle it? I dropped the keys on the finance managers desk and walked out the door.

I'm sorry, but the bed liner cost is built in there somewhere. Seriously...that truck that you just paid $36k for (hypothetical price) they sold to someone else for $40k on the same day.

Edit: That dealership should have eaten the $500 (if what he claimed actually happened), considered it a lesson learned for their finance guy, and not bothered you. Why? That is some sketchy a** $h1t to call someone up and be like "oh...I'm sorry...we need a do-over on your paperwork."

Edit2: That's not even getting into the bu11$h1t they work into peoples contracts that provides no benefit at all to the consumer and serves only to pad their bottom line ex. "VIN etching" for several hundred bucks. WGAF if someone steals your truck and sells your body panels? That's what insurance is for.

Last edited:

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DO you want to have a good relationship with that particular dealer? If so, I would suggest not "redoing" any paperwork, I'd just cut him a check for half the liner.

If not, tell him to go pound sand.

In either case, I'd be VERY wary of any paperwork re-dos.

Exactly this. But I prefer the expression "go kick rocks".

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Tuesday: Signed all the docs for a 2017 Crew Cab 4x4 Sport. Negotiated a 50/50 split for the cost of a spray-in bedliner

Wednesday: Truck arrives at dealership

Thursday Morning: Spray-in bedliner completed

Thursday Evening: Finance manager calls me into his office, and indicates that a mistake has been made with the numbers. The “deal sheet” properly captures the 50/50 split for the bed-liner, BUT their finance guy forgot to include it within the final finance papers (I signed on Tues). He states “ From one business man to another, let us do the right thing here, and redo the paperwork so we can include the cost of the bed-liner?” In essence, the bed-liner cost was not included so that point done at no cost to me.

Soooo…what would you do in this situation? :)

I had a problem just like that. When I went to finalize my purchase the salesperson said they screwed up and didn't add the running boards. The dealer price was 995 including installation. They were already on the truck and I told them that could be a deal breaker. All of a sudden they decided to include it in the sale price. Give it a try.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would do the honest thing, and pay the $250. Rather than deal with all the paperwork, just pay the $250 and be done with it.

As someone said earlier, if they made the mistake and charged you the full $500, you would be upset, so do what's right and pay the $250 that you agreed on.

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummons 6.7 Turbo Charged
I would do the honest thing, and pay the $250. Rather than deal with all the paperwork, just pay the $250 and be done with it.

As someone said earlier, if they made the mistake and charged you the full $500, you would be upset, so do what's right and pay the $250 that you agreed on.

This!! Id have them split the difference but keep paperwork in order.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dealer won't eat his 250.00 mistake. I wouldn't redo the paperwork. A salesman # 1 job is to get you. So they lost. I've had 2 dealers try to charge me for locking lugs. And both trucks I bought came with them from the factory. I wouldn't feel sorry for the dealer at all.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree 100% with the majority of the others here. That's their problem, you already signed everything you needed too and they ok'd it so cut them a $250 check and enjoy your new truck. A good dealership would've just ate the cost bc that's their mistake. They do 1000s of deals a year and they should know what they are doing so for them to make this irresponsible mistake is on their dime. If they insist on redoing paperwork then drop keys on the desk and bounce.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you do decide to pay your half, I would try and check with the company that installed the liner to get the actual cost. I had a Rhino liner put in my truck after I bought it, the place that did it told me that the dealers charge people a couple hundred dollars more than what it would cost to have it done on your own. The dealership may also be getting a discount that they are not passing on to you.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a number of others have already said, don't redo the paperwork, look very carefully at the terms of the in the already executed contract and if indeed the bottom line didn't include your half of the bed spray just offer to pay that as a separate upgrade.

At the end of the day you may someday need the good will your actions generate with that dealer for service someday down the road.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The dealership may also be getting a discount that they are not passing on to you.

Of course they are. It's also something you'll never be able to find out.

During negotiating, OP agreed to $250, should pay $250. Dealer is simply asking that the parties make the original agreement whole. Could you win a court case in this instance? Maybe, but probably not.

Why does everyone want something for free? Entitlement? "Not my fault"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's a simple mistake, what if it were you in your profession? I wouldn't redo the paperwork but would pay my agreed on portion via card/check. It's the right thing to do.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's an honest mistake. We all make them at one time or another. I've made them and had people cut me slack, I've made them and had my *SS handed to me. But in this case, it's not a biggie imho. If you're buying a brand new truck, odds are you can afford to cut them a $250 check, you still get what you agreed on, and some sales guy avoids a potential bad day from his boss. No need to overcomplicate it. That said, I agree with the others who said scrutinize the contract closely and if everything else looks copacetic, don't have them rewrite the contract. Just pay your half and enjoy your new ride!