Interesting Dealership Experience….What would you do? This is interesting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's a simple mistake, what if it were you in your profession? I wouldn't redo the paperwork but would pay my agreed on portion via card/check. It's the right thing to do.

So 2 different dealers tried selling me locking lugs for 150. And they came with the truck from the factory. I've had the finace guy change the #s before by a 1000. When I caught him it was a simple math mistake. My opinion is still too bad. The things they tried with me was stealing. That dealer isn't loosing hardly anything,with his discount he gets off the bedliner. He ain't loosing, they don't loose.what dealer should done was say this was our mistake. Enjoy the extra you got. Any other type of business I wouldn't feel this way.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't worry about keeping a "good relationship" with the dealer bc the sales department has no idea what's going on in the service department. your truck will be taken care of just as "good" as everyone else's. just uphold your part of the deal and all will be well.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
$50k + truck, their screw up on the paperwork, you already signed off on everything.

I'll take the keys to my truck with the bedliner now please.
You're what's wrong with society...That's incredibly dishonest and wrong.

My suggestion OP - just ask to cut them a cheque instead and write the bedliner up on a separate bill.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're what's wrong with society...That's incredibly dishonest and wrong.

What's amusing...to me...is that you're making the leap that people who stretch the truth for a living couldn't possibly have worked the cost of the bed liner in elsewhere....and that anyone who has an issue with coughing up money above/beyond the contract amount is "dishonest."

In a situation like this...I automatically assume that I'm being lied to, because more often than not...that's the case.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So 2 different dealers tried selling me locking lugs for 150. And they came with the truck from the factory. I've had the finace guy change the #s before by a 1000. When I caught him it was a simple math mistake. My opinion is still too bad. The things they tried with me was stealing. That dealer isn't loosing hardly anything,with his discount he gets off the bedliner. He ain't loosing, they don't loose.what dealer should done was say this was our mistake. Enjoy the extra you got. Any other type of business I wouldn't feel this way.

Just because something came from the factory doesn't mean there's no charge for it. Your truck have satellite radio? Installed at factory, extra charge. Leather? installed at factory, extra charge. Even dealer installed items, (steps, tonneau, and yes... even lug nuts or a bed liner), extra charge. Paying for these, or not, is a matter of negotiation, not the dealer trying to steal from you.

Honestly, you're not a victim when you buy a vehicle, and if you feel you are, why would you ever go to the dealer to begin with?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
What's amusing...to me...is that you're making the leap that people who stretch the truth for a living couldn't possibly have worked the cost of the bed liner in elsewhere....and that anyone who has an issue with coughing up money above/beyond the contract amount is "dishonest."

If the papers have been signed, an agreed upon price was settled. If the bedliner cost is NOT on the bill, as the OP stated, than the price would reflect that. What the person I quoted said is basically "papers are signed, sucks to be the dealer free bedliner for you."

That is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can understand both options really. I had this happen on a motorcycle. I paid the money they forgot to put on the paperwork. It wasn't a big deal really. But I can understand you telling them your not paying. My thoughts are they should know what they are doing. So I guess it depends on the dealership. How your experience went over all. Ive had some bad ones and would be more apt to let them eat it. In the end they made a mistake. I agree we all make them. I always say don't throw rocks in a glass house. You will break a window. Karma can be a ******. So it might just be better to pay the 250 and move on.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just because something came from the factory doesn't mean there's no charge for it. Your truck have satellite radio? Installed at factory, extra charge. Leather? installed at factory, extra charge. Even dealer installed items, (steps, tonneau, and yes... even lug nuts or a bed liner), extra charge. Paying for these, or not, is a matter of negotiation, not the dealer trying to steal from you.

Honestly, you're not a victim when you buy a vehicle, and if you feel you are, why would you ever go to the dealer to begin with?

I guess I've bought allot of new vehicles over the years. And had these experiences. And you are so wrong, if that build sheet says it comes with locking lug nuts, it does period. I had a salesman try to sell me the wheel to wheel steps extra, and it was on the MSRP and the build sheet. If you pay extra for stuff on your truck that it came with from the factory. Salesman must love you. In this case you really don't know what you're talking about.

Wally186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also am surprised how many people said they would walk away. As a business man myself I would want to keep a good relationship with local business. When I bought mine, they also had me redo some of the paperwork because they put my brake controller in the wrong spot on the paperwork. I had them go line by line to show that my payment and purchase amount did not change. I would either redo the paperwork or pay your half... Do the right thing.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I've bought allot of new vehicles over the years. And had these experiences. And you are so wrong, if that build sheet says it comes with locking lug nuts, it does period. I had a salesman try to sell me the wheel to wheel steps extra, and it was on the MSRP and the build sheet. If you pay extra for stuff on your truck that it came with from the factory. Salesman must love you. In this case you really don't know what you're talking about.

Another great example is freight/delivery at ~$1,200 is on the window sticker and built into the MSRP price of the trucks, but dealerships then add their own freight/delivery charge of ~$1,200, lol. That's where I was going with "the dealership is getting theirs one way or another."

I purchased a used '16 rather than a new truck because attempting to deal on a new truck (ex. The issue I just threw out there) about made my head explode.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If you do decide to pay your half, I would try and check with the company that installed the liner to get the actual cost. I had a Rhino liner put in my truck after I bought it, the place that did it told me that the dealers charge people a couple hundred dollars more than what it would cost to have it done on your own. The dealership may also be getting a discount that they are not passing on to you.

Of course they are getting a discount, but it isn't to pass savings to you. That's how they make their money. It's no difference than a parts store agreeing to sale parts to a shop at a discounted rate. It;'s a business arrangement between the two businesses. I learned this years ago working in a Dealership Parts Department.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Never mind the original confusion with the paperwork, why would someone want to finance a $250.00 accessory for 5+ years? Unless your paying cash or getting 0% interest then I apologize for bring it up.:)

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Perhaps I didn't use small enough words. That's called doing your due diligence, and everyone should read EVERY WORD of the contractual paperwork. I agree that if it's in the sticker price, it's included, not an up-sell. But to automatically think an up-sell is an act of thievery is mistaken.

I'm still don't understand why if you think they are crooked, you'd ever step through the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I still needed to buy one . They all get a chance to sell me. Like I said I've bought plenty. No if it's in the build sheet it's included too. That was my issue they knew that at both places and tried it. You wouldn't know that if you were not educated about the truck you are buying. I didn't suggest you are stupid like you did me. Should use smaller words so I can understand. I just said said you were wrong in this case. It's a difference of opinion about what the op should do. I'm done have a good one.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never mind the original confusion with the paperwork, why would someone want to finance a $250.00 accessory for 5+ years? Unless your paying cash or getting 0% interest then I apologize for bring it up.:)

Why wouldn't you? It's part of the sale and no different than financing other options on the truck.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why wouldn't you? It's part of the sale and no different than financing other options on the truck.

The issue isn't the financing the $250, it's the likelihood that something goes sideways in the "redoing" of the paperwork.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I still needed to buy one . They all get a chance to sell me. Like I said I've bought plenty. No if it's in the build sheet it's included too. That was my issue they knew that at both places and tried it. You wouldn't know that if you were not educated about the truck you are buying. I didn't suggest you are stupid like you did me. Should use smaller words so I can understand. I just said said you were wrong in this case. It's a difference of opinion about what the op should do. I'm done have a good one.

I reread what you wrote and I apologize, I took it a little too personally.

You and I won't agree on the way to handle this and that's ok. (Even though I'm right) ;)

You have a good one too.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have tried throughout my life to be "the good guy" and it seems to have worked out for the most part.

As mentioned previously but not exactly in the same words but "karma CAN be a ******"

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had a problem just like that. When I went to finalize my purchase the salesperson said they screwed up and didn't add the running boards. The dealer price was 995 including installation. They were already on the truck and I told them that could be a deal breaker. All of a sudden they decided to include it in the sale price. Give it a try.

After re-reading your post I realize you did agree to pay half the cost of the liner. I would pay my half as agreed upon. My above response dealt with the running boards already being installed when they priced the truck to me out the door. Sorry.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Simple, you said you would pay your part so no matter what the paperwork says stand by your word and pay your part.
Our word is what we have to show what kind of people we are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963