Intermittent starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently just purchased a new 15 Express (Hemi) that has tip start. I have noticed on three different occasions that upon unlocking my truck and placing the key in the ignition it does nothing. I have to remove the key and place it back in the ignition, at which time the truck finally starts. I have checked fuses , ground on the battery, and used my other key and its still happening.

I've attached a video to show what happens. Let me know if anyone else has had this issue and what/if anything your dealership has done. I plan on scheduling an appointment to take it in just curious if this is common (like the flickering headlights).

th_20160102_1149461_zpsai4yxfqi.jpg

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it does it with both keys, it is likely a problem with the WCM. It is not recognizing your key. Take it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Does it flash "Incorrect Key" or something like that on the EVIC while you're in the start position when it does nothing? Do you jump in the truck, put the key in and immediately turn it before the little RAM head appears on the EVIC?

If the answer to both of these is "yes", you're outrunning the BCM's little second-long boot sequence and it doesn't recognize the key because it ain't ready yet.

It happened about 1% of the time in my '14. I haven't had it happen in my '16 yet, but I've also slowed down my getting in the truck and starting sequence, so it may not happen again, even if the '16 is prone to the same thing.

OP
OP
E

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill try slowing it down and seeing if that helps. I felt that I was pretty slow in getting in my truck and putting the key in. In fact before the video, it happened and I had enough time to pull my phone out and record it happening. It would not start the truck until I removed the key and put it back in.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Ill try slowing it down and seeing if that helps. I felt that I was pretty slow in getting in my truck and putting the key in. In fact before the video, it happened and I had enough time to pull my phone out and record it happening. It would not start the truck until I removed the key and put it back in.

Look at the EVIC while you actually have the key in the START position too. That's when it'll flash "Incorrect key" if it's going to.