Intermittent starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGTGunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm hoping to get some guidance here. I have a 2009 1500 with the 4.7.

Day before yesterday I drove to the local technical college where I'm taking classes. Everything was fine, no indications of any problems, about 3/4 of a tank of gas, no idiot lights and gauges read normal. After almost 3 hours I go to leave for lunch. The truck would crank but not start. It tried to after cranking for a couple seconds but wouldn't fire. I got somebody to hook up to it and tried to jump start it. I didn't think that was the issue but it was the fastest easiest thing to try. Jumping it didn't effect it at all. No codes were being thrown.
I had it towed to a shop hoping to have them plug in their magic computer to see what was wrong. While off loading it from the tow truck it started and ran fine. The shop didn't want to charge me $85 for hooking up the computer if no codes were being thrown and it was starting on it's own. I appreciated their honesty. I started the truck again, drove around the large parking lot a few times, shut it off and restarted it a couple times hoping to recreate the issue while it was there. Of course nothing happened. I decided to leave it there and try it again after work. I borrowed a car and went to work then returned to try and start the truck again. It fired off just fine. I did a few more laps in the parking lot and stopped/started the engine a few more times again. On my last try it didn't start.
After class the next morning I returned to ask them to go ahead and hook up the computer. The truck started just fine, I paid to have them scan for codes anyway and naturally nothing came up. Still having the car I borrowed I left the truck there over night once again.
I caught a ride back to the truck this morning and started it then drove it home. It ran just as good as usual, no lights, no codes, no issues.

So that's where I'm at now. I have not had the time to look at it yet and wont until Sunday, so I'm hopping to get some ideas of what to look for.

I plan to test the battery and alternator just for the warm fuzzy feeling, battery cables, check all the fuses and terminals that I can, replace the battery in the key (it's only a month old) and leave the battery unhooked for a little bit to reset the computer.

My initial thoughts were towards the fuel pump. If I remove the bed and pull it out I don't know what I would even look for in the pump besides for any obvious obstructions or breakage.

If I can get it to fail to start again I can slip it into neutral and see if it's the neutral safety switch.

Any other ideas what I can do to track this issue down? I hate intermittent problems.