Junk tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 6 speed loves to just slip the tq converter in 4th instead of down shifting to 2nd? Any one else have this problem? It's not as bad when I use tow haul but still dose it

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
might just need a reflash. plenty of these trans go well over 200000 miles with out issue.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have hemi fever tunes and re flashed it and it's the same and I know it's gunna kill the tranny if it keeps up

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Common denominator in this post is 20. Lol

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have hemi fever tunes and re flashed it and it's the same and I know it's gunna kill the tranny if it keeps up

you know what key is to having a 6 spd last? understanding how it works and how to drive it accordingly.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Please tell me how to drive it? Last time I checked these things are made to be driven and didn't come with a rule book on how to drive? I hardly ever go wot and usually drive normal. Not my fault ram is restarted and can't build a tranny to save there life not to mention there amazing shift pattern and not to mention 1st gear is way to high but hey let's stack 2nd and 3rd 150 rpm apart and make this 6 speed a 5 speed and while we're at it let's make the gear that you drive in the most the weakest (4th). And then there is 0 after market options. Never again will a buy a mopar product I'd much rather have a under powered gmc over a truck that will fall apart if you drive it slightly aggressive and has practically nothing aftermarket and everything aftermarket cost so much it's not even remotely worth it

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess there's no built 6 speeds available, a bunch of torque converter stalls, valve bodies, etc...if your truck is truly that much of a pain to whine about here then maybe you should look at a different manufacture. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Gearing will help save it! Excuse for a regear.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah let me just fork out 3500 to maybe help something that came from the factory wrong? We can get a tq converter and one valve body that will only help the 1-2 shift?

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trade her in for an 8-speed.

Night and day comparison!

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you actually are able to build a 6 speed, it takes basically all the same internals as the prior 545rfe. thats where im at now, ive replaced the stock one 4 times now and finally its time to just build it.
It still sucks that it was built so awful, even on a built transmission you shouldn't have to manually downshift to 3rd to pass someone on the highway because the kickdown it too hard on it, you shouldn't have to lift partial throttle when shifting, but its an awful design

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't get me wrong I loved my ram but after spending some time in other brands it just lacks the basics

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
other than the person suggesting you take it to the dealer to make sure it has the latest flash, these replies are ********.

make sure it's running the latest code from the dealer. my stupid local dealer wanted 90$ to update mine... but after a little 'what the **** *******' they waived it.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 6 spd has been rock solid, you keep blaming the brand instead of acknowledging that yours is defective. In fact most you talk to have recognized that the 6 speed has always been known to be a reliable transmission.

Find out which method is the least foolish financially for you: Trade the truck in or repair job, and git er done. Depending on what you owe on the truck though, if someone advises you to trade it in and that would be a massive money hit at this time, you're being advised by a doofus

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
couls always pay a couple dollars and have a trans shop diagnose the issue, then decide on fixing it or not.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah let me just fork out 3500 to maybe help something that came from the factory wrong? We can get a tq converter and one valve body that will only help the 1-2 shift?

A regear does not cost that much. I will tell you it makes a big difference. Your attitude is pretty much like the title of your thread right now. Giving you an idea of what you can do to enjoy what you have and not spend an insane amount or take a bath on a trade. I have an old 4th gen on here has a lot of miles and probably half while towing and yet mine works very well still. I attribute that to maintenance and regear. Take it or leave it.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is no way around a gear change it's gunna be 3k plus with there great idea to weld the front ring rear in and when I got my truck 2 years ago it would do the same thing when it was cold so I've had it reflashed 2 times before getting a tuner hoping it would help firm up the shift points. Maybe it's only a problem in colder temps but 2 of my friends trucks do the same thing unless you drive them aggressively and they still do it some and I can't see driving aggressively making the tranny last any longer? I live in the middle of no where and it's hilly country roads 35-55mph northern Maine roads so I'm almost always in 4th and that's the weakest gear. After dealing with it for 2.5 years I can see a lot more flaws with my truck with only 15000 miles compared to my dads chevy with 40000 miles and his is used for work and plowing and is far from being taken care of as well as mine. In all honesty I baby my truck a lot. With that said I'm selling my truck tomorrow and making the switch to chevy. Maybe if I had a 8 speed it would be different but mopar is seriously lacking in anything aftermarket