Just got back from dealer....how are these numbers? Purchase/lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into your local credit unions to. Most have a leasing program through them as well. 0 down and 15k a year lease no problem. I put 0 down on my truck have 15k a year lease for 6 years and payment is 296/month on a almost 29k purchase price. Buy out at end of 6 years is 10k or I turn the truck over, sell it, trade in, as long as the loan is satisfied. No end of term fees and over mileage fee is .10 cents a mile. Oh and most important, NO PENALTY FOR MODDING :) only because its through the bank and they send all their vehicles to auction when and if you turn it in after your lease is up.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all, I don't think 40k is a bad price on that truck. Perhaps you can get it closer to 38k if you want to deal with the hassle and shopping around, but is that really worth it to you?

As for leasing, I can't speak to those specific numbers because I am not a lease guy, but I have friends who ONLY lease and NEVER buy. Similar to what another poster said, I have a buddy who does 3 year leases on VW's and every 3 years at the exact time he is set to turn in his vehicle he negotiates a new lease on a new VW. He has never gotten screwed and pays great monthly rates. I'm sure some vehicles and makes are trickier than others to make sure the values all work out with a lease, and maybe trucks are one of them, but he has never had issues. Some people prefer leasing over buying 10/10 times.

If you are someone who is done with a vehicle after 3 years usually, maybe leasing is the way to go. But make sure you do your homework and research before pulling the trigger on a leased truck.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to ask about the residual value of the truck, What is it worth after the lease is up. Is it a closed end lease or open ended. You will also have to ask yourself can you stay within your 12 -15k mile per year. you will pay dearly if you go over that mileage at the end. Can you walk away from it when at the end. If you cant walk away, i would run away now!!

I lease my 1st truck and was before the truck market boomed. My residual was only $5k at the end of the lease. I was able to trade it in and got over $9k for it. Made $4k.

In your case you prolly wont have that luxury. You need to be concerned with the end of lease more so your now payments. In 2-5 yrs what is your truck worth and what you will owe would be the questions to ask.

You might have to come to the realization of buying a cheaper truck you can afford.

End my 2 cents

Last edited: