Just heard - Recall for Rams that may roll away after being parked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But plenty of people will be out looking for the payout...

I never had to be told Mcdonalds coffee was hot, or to not wrap plastic bags around my air holes if I wanted to breathe, but here we are...LOL

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But plenty of people will be out looking for the payout...

I never had to be told Mcdonalds coffee was hot, or to not wrap plastic bags around my air holes if I wanted to breathe, but here we are...LOL

Actually there is a really good documentary called 'Hot coffee' about such things. And McDonald's was actually at fault in that case. The poor 79 year old woman, Stella Liebeck, that got burned almost died, and she didn't want a huge payday from it, she just wanted her hospital bills paid and McDonalds to change their policy. The coffee spilled on her, she had 3rd degree burns, bad!! McDonalds was found in the wrong and did change their policy on coffee temps. After you see the real story you see how it became a myth of a frivolous lawsuit. But it wasn't. You really feel awful for the poor woman.

RamNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive always just engaged the parking brake before i even get out of my truck. I make sure its in park first and sit in the truck just to be sure it does not go anywhere. My wife hates that i do that cause she cant figure out where the lever is. Seems to be a good deterrent to keep her from driving it.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually there is a really good documentary called 'Hot coffee' about such things. And McDonald's was actually at fault in that case. The poor 79 year old woman, Stella Liebeck, that got burned almost died, and she didn't want a huge payday from it, she just wanted her hospital bills paid and McDonalds to change their policy. The coffee spilled on her, she had 3rd degree burns, bad!! McDonalds was found in the wrong and did change their policy on coffee temps. After you see the real story you see how it became a myth of a frivolous lawsuit. But it wasn't. You really feel awful for the poor woman.

I've actually seen it, and agree it was Mcds fault in her case... but every other jack hole just looking for a payout, not so much..

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Recalls are a HUGE money loss for MFGs and safety/death are the main criteria for them to intiate a RECALL--Chrysler is no different than any ofem--

Ive always just engaged the parking brake before i even get out of my truck. I make sure its in park first and sit in the truck just to be sure it does not go anywhere. My wife hates that i do that cause she cant figure out where the lever is. Seems to be a good deterrent to keep her from driving it.

That's a good habit, I've done the same for decades, eversince I decided to change from sticks to autos-

I'm not crazy about the "KNOB" shift yet either, but it sure opens up the console for a lotta extra room-

Whatever

:crazy: JIMBO

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They will NEVER be able to engineer STUPIDITY out of people.

How bout it. My wife's grand Cherokee that had the recall for the shifter really isn't hard to operate or look at the dash and make sure it's in park. People are just too careless and in a hurry to pay attention to what the hell theyre doing. Guarantee that's why the actor was ran over by his own vehicle. Pretty lame.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They will NEVER be able to engineer STUPIDITY out of people.

Maybe I'm wrong but it kind of sounds like most of these issues are on the driver/operator not the shifter itself. I always, always make sure I put my vehicle in park before I get out....

Exactly....not bad engineering.....bad drivers.

My wife just got a Prius company car and that thing doesn't have a normal parking brake. You come to a stop and have to push a button with a big "P" on it.

Different but after a few minutes with it....you quickly realize that if you don't push the fkn button....YOU KEEP ROLLING!! Lol common sense people.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've made it a point since day 1 to apply parking brake before putting in park and shutting off the engine. I get double the satisfaction knowing the vehicle won't move and my parking brake will never seize up in this harsh Canadian climate. I also practiced this with previously owned vehicles. Never an issue.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've made it a point since day 1 to apply parking brake before putting in park and shutting off the engine. I get double the satisfaction knowing the vehicle won't move and my parking brake will never seize up in this harsh Canadian climate. I also practiced this with previously owned vehicles. Never an issue.

same here, been a routine for as long as I can remember now:

shift to neutral
apply parking brake
remove foot from brake pedal
let truck settle
shift to park

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree people are stupid, however in the case of the Grand Cherokee and the 300 shifters. The very 1st one I prepped for the lot I said to the tech next to me "this shifter is asking for trouble, people are going to be running them selves over".

The rotary dials in the trucks I dont see a problem with, but the GC and 300 shifter were not intuitive by any means, why build something that someone around cars there whole life gets into and immediately sees a potential problem.

Not saying there is anything malfunctioning in the shifters, but why reinvent the wheel. The truck rotary dials at least I can see a benefit, it does free up interior and dash space, but the console shifters on the GC and 300, why?

Brew99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hardly ever use the parking brake, but will if on an incline. That said, I'm also not in such a rush that I can't take an extra second to make sure it is in Park before jumping out of the truck.

Unfortunately, manufacturer's have to try and build in safety factor's for the most stupid of us humans!!

jcollins28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well crud....

There was one instance where I lazily "flicked" the shift knob and it was in reverse instead of park. Barely moved before I hit the brake and there wasn't even a close call, but ever since then I've paid a little more attention. Doesn't seem like a huge deal if your a little attentive. And I've shut it off with it in D a few times, it just blinked angrily at me a few times and shifted itself to park.

That's my only complaint with the rotary shifter knob. There is no "feel" at all. You can easily flick that knob from P to D. It shouldn't be like that.

I prefer driving sticks so setting the parking brake is second nature to me.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's my only complaint with the rotary shifter knob. There is no "feel" at all. You can easily flick that knob from P to D. It shouldn't be like that.

I prefer driving sticks so setting the parking brake is second nature to me.

Excellent routine to get into, It is called a parking brake.....

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Setting the parking brake in my 02 was a habit, almost like a routine to release it and engage it before driving/after parking. I guess I should get back into that habit.

I heard some random bs about engaging the parking brake when you're not parked on a hill and how it can ruin the parking brake. I assume this is a load of crap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Exactly....not bad engineering.....bad drivers.

My wife just got a Prius company car and that thing doesn't have a normal parking brake. You come to a stop and have to push a button with a big "P" on it.

Different but after a few minutes with it....you quickly realize that if you don't push the fkn button....YOU KEEP ROLLING!! Lol common sense people.

My wifes new Lincoln is very different on puting it in PRND. But I like it

2014-lincoln-mkz-sedan-instrument-panel.jpg

There's plenty of stupid people in the world and they all voted for Hillary.. lol

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
same here, been a routine for as long as I can remember now:

shift to neutral

apply parking brake

remove foot from brake pedal

let truck settle

shift to park

This is my method as well.