Just heard - Recall for Rams that may roll away after being parked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a floor shifted 2012 Laramie Crew Cab so it's not in the recall but I had a rollaway that my dashcam recorded. I had the parking brake on and it was in park. Chrysler investigated and told me there was nothing wrong with the truck and to always use my parking brake. Here's the dashcam video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kFAaAQU3Ro

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I don't have the rotary shifter or 8 spd, but I have had my transmission go into park, but it was not in park.

Yes, the engine would shut off, and the key would come out, but when you put the key back in, the backup camera came on immediately, and you could not start the truck, and it would roll forward when your foot was off the brake (I backed into the driveway and there is a slight incline).

I had to use the shifter release to get the shifter into neutral to be able to start the engine to get it to the dealer.

They replaced the whole shifter assembly (had right around 9k miles on it at the time).

It was acting just like it had a mechanical blockage stopping it from getting into park normally, but they said there was no shift cable or anything like that on these trucks any more. I know that was what happened once on the truck in my avatar, the cable got frayed, and would hit a certain point and stop. New cable solved the issue, and replacing the header collector gasket prevented it from happening again.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a floor shifted 2012 Laramie Crew Cab so it's not in the recall but I had a rollaway that my dashcam recorded. I had the parking brake on and it was in park. Chrysler investigated and told me there was nothing wrong with the truck and to always use my parking brake. Here's the dashcam video.

What was the point of posting the dash cam video? It doesn't prove anything except maybe your truck was running or key left on, and in the ignition.

Why would you have your dash cam wired to battery, not ignition fed? If anything the video would be more proof you left the keys in the truck, defeating a safety measure, (cannot remove key unless truck is in park) therefore it is more likely you did not put it in park, than some extremely unlikely 1 time, unrepeatable mechanical failure.

Your 2012 has a mechanical park pawl, very very unlikely to be a problem with your truck. If you did set your parking brake, it's not holding, have you ever tested it? maintenance issue, and still your fault.
Not calling you a liar, anything is possible but that's what I see when I watch your video.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard some random bs about engaging the parking brake when you're not parked on a hill and how it can ruin the parking brake. I assume this is a load of crap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, load of crap. Only thing that will ruin your parking brake is not using it or driving your vehicle while it is engaged.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just read more of this today. Chrysler/ fiat is complying with this, but tilll there is a fix they suggest using your parking brake always to avoid the vehicle rolling away

I ALWAYS use my parking brake on both vehicles anyways.
The Ram Sport and the Roush Stage 3, which is a 6 speed manual and the emergency brake should be used. I hope this isn't a recall. I HATE bringing and leaving my vehicles at the dealership for anything. :puke:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine won't shut off if I am not in Park. It gives me a message to that effect. The few times it wasn't in "P" was my fault for being in a hurry. Usually use the "E" brake though, so no biggie.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always use my parking brake anyways, so it's not a problem for me. To be honest, I'm surprised that so many people don't use it. It's there, why not use it?

Ray2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was the point of posting the dash cam video? It doesn't prove anything except maybe your truck was running or key left on, and in the ignition.

Why would you have your dash cam wired to battery, not ignition fed? If anything the video would be more proof you left the keys in the truck, defeating a safety measure, (cannot remove key unless truck is in park) therefore it is more likely you did not put it in park, than some extremely unlikely 1 time, unrepeatable mechanical failure.

Your 2012 has a mechanical park pawl, very very unlikely to be a problem with your truck. If you did set your parking brake, it's not holding, have you ever tested it? maintenance issue, and still your fault.
Not calling you a liar, anything is possible but that's what I see when I watch your video.

The dash cam was not wired to battery. The key was in the Accessory position because the radio was on and the windows were down to listen to it. The key won't go to the Accessory position unless the transmission is in Park. When I park on a hill, I engage the emergency brake and test it before I place the shifter in Park. I was on a steep hill and on wet grass so the back wheels probably slid down the hill without turning. Please don't accuse people of things you don't have a clue about.

Apparently, Mr. Yoda, the Force was not with my truck.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dash cam was not wired to battery. The key was in the Accessory position because the radio was on and the windows were down to listen to it. The key won't go to the Accessory position unless the transmission is in Park. When I park on a hill, I engage the emergency brake and test it before I place the shifter in Park. I was on a steep hill and on wet grass so the back wheels probably slid down the hill without turning. Please don't accuse people of things you don't have a clue about.

Apparently, Mr. Yoda, the Force was not with my truck.

Fair enough, my point was your dash cam video doesn't help your story.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Interesting, it almost acted like it slipped out of park then back in when it stopped.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fair enough, my point was your dash cam video doesn't help your story.
Dashcam doesn't need key in to run when off. Many come with battery power monitors that disengage below a certain voltage.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dashcam doesn't need key in to run when off. Many come with battery power monitors that disengage below a certain voltage.

Ok I did not know that. Still doesn't prove anything, just shows his truck rolling away.

ramathorn1982

Reaction score
Ok I did not know that. Still doesn't prove anything, just shows his truck rolling away.
If someone were hurt during this incident, it would likely be enough for investigators to say yes the vehicle was/was not in park based on the video and measurements of the scene. So long as a witness or another camera showed that nobody was in the vehicle.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

That's kinda crazy.

I park on a incline at work and have been since I've had the truck. About 3 years. I always use the e-brake. Never any issues.

This is kinda freaky. This the only time it's happened.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Me too-same way-

:crazy: JIMBO

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee because of the known problems. Hopefully those problems dont trickle this way! Regardless RIP Chekov.