Just picked up a New To Me 2016. What are the best mods you can recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I found a pretty good deal on a quad cab SLT, and aver driving a 98 Chevy single cab long bed, this thing is definitely different. The Tuck is same length, the cab seems cavernous. Engine response is pretty decent, but I don't know if the factory muffler will make it to next summer.

I bought the truck to do truck stuff, but it's still really nice inside so I could use some decent hard use seat covers and floor protectors, because this is my first truck with carpet.

I'd like to get some window vent visors, but I'm pretty disappointed that all the examples I can find only cover the windows, and don't look like they stretch from front to rear.

My 5' 2" wife and 6 year old son can hop up decently, but I think some nerf bars or rocksliders are going to be in the cards, depending on how they get in and out when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Now, what am I forgetting? What are some of those great little mods that just make driving and using your truck better?

I got out of the car scene and into vintage bikes a few years ago, so I'm not looking to make this thing into some drag monster. The main place where I go off road has a mil 6x6, so I doubt I'll ever need to tow myself out even if I do get stuck. I just need to pull trailers, haul bikes and lumber and farm stuff, haul the boy home from school, and make it to and from work and my side jobs in a little comfort for once.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found a pretty good deal on a quad cab SLT, and aver driving a 98 Chevy single cab long bed, this thing is definitely different. The Tuck is same length, the cab seems cavernous. Engine response is pretty decent, but I don't know if the factory muffler will make it to next summer.

I bought the truck to do truck stuff, but it's still really nice inside so I could use some decent hard use seat covers and floor protectors, because this is my first truck with carpet.

I'd like to get some window vent visors, but I'm pretty disappointed that all the examples I can find only cover the windows, and don't look like they stretch from front to rear.

My 5' 2" wife and 6 year old son can hop up decently, but I think some nerf bars or rocksliders are going to be in the cards, depending on how they get in and out when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Now, what am I forgetting? What are some of those great little mods that just make driving and using your truck better?

I got out of the car scene and into vintage bikes a few years ago, so I'm not looking to make this thing into some drag monster. The main place where I go off road has a mil 6x6, so I doubt I'll ever need to tow myself out even if I do get stuck. I just need to pull trailers, haul bikes and lumber and farm stuff, haul the boy home from school, and make it to and from work and my side jobs in a little comfort for once.

Welcome and congrats. for exhaust there is a ton of options. my 2 favorites are Corsa for a complete cat back or Carven for a great low cost direct muffler swap that offers 5" tips as an option.

we offer weather tech and husky liners for floor protection and both are great.

there us a ton of options for nerf bars depending on what exactly you are looking for with them and what styles you like. we offer amp, aries, westin, etc...

as far as the little mods that make a big difference check out Pedal Commander. There is a lot of threads here on it and with tons of positive reviews. We offer great pricing on them!

Also the thread for the under $100 mods is a great one to check out

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention...for bug shields and window vent shades I very much like the AVS products. They look good and stayed put for 19 years on my old 98 SLT. Opinions will vary of course.

Attachments

• 20171029_135235.jpg
    20171029_135235.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20171029_135245.jpg
    20171029_135245.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 44

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Carven Progressive exhaust system.
Husky floor liners
Ram style splash guards off ebay.

Steps ? man there are a bunch and at all different price ranges.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Pm Nick@getexhaust and get yourself a Pedal Commander. Best mod I did! Doesn’t hurt dependability either! Wakes that truck up RIGHT now....

OP
OP
DanHate

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How finicky is the Ecu with these trucks when it comes to exhausts and intakes?

I used to work in a Fab shop back in the OBDII Glory days when you could build an exhaust and intake and didn't have to retune until you started throwing in cams, or cranking the boost or whatever. The new CANbus stuff on cars I've done work on lately seems to want to know if you swapped your seat covers and will need to be retuned for that.

This is the exact thing that pushed me to old Triumph bikes, they might be finicky and as unreliable as a 500hp street car, but they take up less garage space when they are broken.

OP
OP
DanHate

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You can do exhaust and CAI with no problems on them.

That makes me very happy. Writing tunes for evos really put me off to modern ecu's.

Granted I bought a newer truck because I don't intend to start turning the screws, and if I could get by with a basic programmer I would be ok with that, but not having to even mess with reflashing the Ecu is just my style. I get enough high-tech car stuff at work (my employer at my day job is a supplier for parts on these trucks). I just want a truck that sounds good, hauls well, and gets decent mileage for a truck.

I have motorcycles and dirt bikes to get my idiot fix on.

OP
OP
DanHate

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Catch Can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :naughty:

Is that necessary?

I used to build and install those on turbo cars to keep the IC clean, but I never really saw the point on a naturally aspirated engine.

How much oil does the pcv let the engine breath up? It can't be that much with the longer service interval can it?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that necessary?

I used to build and install those on turbo cars to keep the IC clean, but I never really saw the point on a naturally aspirated engine.

How much oil does the pcv let the engine breath up? It can't be that much with the longer service interval can it?

Ohhhhhhhh, you lite the fuse now !!!!!!! Stand by.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a whole thread including pictures of people emptying their catch can's. Surprisingly enough they "catch" a fair amount of oil that would normally go back through the throttle body. There are all kinds of CAI available, it's just what kind you really like and what look you're looking for. In truth the factory air box does a pretty good job however. A tune for your truck will require a new unlocked ECU and the tuner both. Many members use the Diablo tuner with a Hemifever custom tune. Matt at Moe's Performance, a vendor here, sells a "package" that includes the tuner, the custom tune and the ECU. You might check his site out for other accessories also. He is a long time vendor and member here with a sterling reputation.
Jay

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 1500 came from the factory with a responsive throttle (so responsive that one has to concentrate on smooth operation). A pedal commander will reduce that if you want.

Floor mats, huskies are good

If you are going to do hauling/towing variable loads, an airlift for the rear will help level things out. A couple different drop hitches is helpfull.

XL or stiffer tires, the OEMs squirm around quite a bit, making for a less satisfying tow.

I have a catch can, get one with a drain valve (like morso) for convenience. Mine doesn't catch much.

An EZ lift tailgate to help lift the tailgate.

A hard tonneau cover, the type depends on whether you are going to haul bikes in it and need the bed entirely open. I like the MOPAR.

If you need steps, the AMP power steps are the one to get.

A folding tailgate ladder.

Have a factory trailer brake controller installed if you tow trailers with brakes.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not really a mod, but if your running the stock Goodyears, uyou may want to upgrade. If 4x4 you can add the Bilstein 5500 and level the truck. As far as floor mats and window visors, I prefer weather tech.

OP
OP
DanHate

DanHate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not really a mod, but if your running the stock Goodyears, uyou may want to upgrade. If 4x4 you can add the Bilstein 5500 and level the truck. As far as floor mats and window visors, I prefer weather tech.

The stock Goodyears are still in great shape, and I'm cheap enough I'm not going to change em out until they start to wear down, but I will definitely upgrayyed them when it comes time.

Do the bilsteins raise the front or lower the back?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks raise the front. I think there are 3 different settings to chose from.
Jay