Kanati Trail Hogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything relevant. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these because they're substantially cheaper than anything else I can put on (about $1000 out the door . $1400 for a set of Duratracs with a friends and family discount and $1700 for Exo Grapplers) and the tread pattern looks really good. What reviews I have been able to find online have been pretty positive although a little short on actual miles.

I know the parent company, Greenball, is well regarded when it comes to commercial, ATV and motorcycle tires, but the Kanati brand is fairly new. So, anyone here running a set? How do you like them? How many miles do you have and how are they wearing? Any problems? Loud? I'm not super worried about an MPG hit; I'm guessing there won't be much, they only weight about 5lbs more than my current tires so I think the 6.4 shouldn't even notice that.

Any recommendations on buying from eBay? I've already got the DOT #s and the tires were manufactured just over a year ago and stored in a climate controlled warehouse since then. I'm fine with that, as is my friend who used to work for Goodyear. I've verified return policy and that they are 100% NEW, 0 mile, not returned tires.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

EDIT: So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the tires. This thread can continue to live as a place for anyone who is running Trail Hogs to post their impressions so that other members can get more info on these tires. I'll continue to post my impressions throughout the time I have these tires.

Last edited:

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from another forum:

They ride smooth, there is a little bit of a hum and they've wrecked my mpg. I hand calculate all fill ups and I've got almost 1K miles on these and they're wearing fine but with the trips I've taken I know I should get about 15.5mpg and almost 18mpg, with the new tires the fill ups were 13.8 and 15 respectively. Really surprised at the significant drop in mileage with these. The website shows a weight of 57lbs a tire, up from 39 for the OEM Goodyears and a tad over 1" taller; my speedo shows to be correct when testing with a few different apps to to track vehicle speed also.

if you do the math:
57-39=18
18x4 = 72

1 lb of rotating mass = 10 lbs of "static mass". So essentially you're driving around on stock tires with 720 lbs in the back. Add to that the more aggressive thread, and there goes your mpg difference...

Luke

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the feedback. I believe I saw that post somewhere too. So, my stock tires weigh in at 56 pounds, the Trail Hogs are 61 pounds in my size. Not really much difference there and I'm going for the same size so I would expect any MPG hit to be negligible. I could be wrong but that's what I'm expecting anyway lol. Interesting that they destroyed MPG so bad in a 1500 for sure though.

Anyone seen anything with respect to how they wear?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not just the weight difference of a tire that hits your mpg, it's also the tread pattern....rolling resistance.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well, for the price, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these. They should be here Monday and I'll have them mounted up most likely the following Saturday. Hopefully they're good.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
let us know how the turn out. i have read on reviews that they do hum down the road. but i have yet to hear about how many miles guys are getting out of them, and how they wear

Luke

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will do. I'm not worried about a little hum, hell my stock Firstones hum now that they're wearing out. Also, I plan to do the Mufflex conversion shortly after the tires go on (waiting to see if there's a Labor Day sale) so I figure that'll drown out any tire noise lol.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Stock size, 285/60r20. It's one of a handful of tires that are made in this size that I was able to find. I was thinking they would hum a little. The shoulder lugs are spaced fairly far apart.

I really have two main concerns but I won't know until I try them, same as every other tire. 1 is tread life and 2 is how much are they going to dig in sand? Florida is basically a giant sandbox so that could be a problem. Wet performance is another issue with Florida rain but they're siped pretty well from what I can tell so I think that will be fine, plus I've read they grip very well. I'll keep this thread updated with impressions. Fed Ex says they're coming on Saturday but they may sit in the garage for a week before I can get them mounted.

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I saw some on an f150 the other day and they are great looking tires. Im looking foward to hearing more info on them.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my concern would be, where are they made?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think I read somewhere they're made in Indonesia. I'd love to stand on principal and only buy stuff made in the US, but then I wouldn't own my Ram either lol. I've read many reports of issues with Chinese tires, but this particular tire doesn't seem to meet the characteristics of a problem tire, namely a Chinese off-brand imported at low cost. The parent company, Greenball, is a US company that is well respected in ATV, motorcycle, and commercial tires already. All signs pointed to this being a gamble worth making but I'll know in about a week or so I guess.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well, small update. Tires came in yesterday. They look great and they're very heavy. They're going on today, so I'll have some more feedback on them shortly.

Attachments

• IMAG0731.jpg
    IMAG0731.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 383
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
First impressions are positive. I've got about 20 miles on them now so not much to go on yet. I will say they ride better than the Fire****s that came on the truck. They are much less harsh in bumps. There is some definite, noticeable hum from them at pretty much all speeds but it's not obnoxious. I found some sand and drove through for a second. They bite like crazy and went right through the sand no problem, the same sand which would have required 4wd with the OEM tires. I thought it was going to rain but no such luck so no rain impressions yet. More details to follow as I have more to report.

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have them on my 1500. They are ok. The ones I have are a little softer rubber so better in the winter than the duratrac in my opinion. Wear is great but should be on a load range E on a half ton. Had to warranty one a few weeks after purchase do to chunks of tread coming off. Rest have been fine for a year now. Fuel mileage does take a hit of course but no more than an equivalent tire.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Today will be my second full day with the Trail Hogs. Had a little drama getting them intalled; I noticed yesterday the rims got all scratched to hell during the install. So I went back to the tire shop and thankfully they're paying to refinish the rims.

That said, it rained yesterday and I couldn't break these tires loose even standing on the gas through a corner. I felt bad for the people driving behind me because they put up a prolific cloud of spray but they handle well in the rain. They pull a bit when you hit big standing water but most tires do.

So far, they don't appear to have affected my mpg much if at all. I got 11.6 hand calced on the last tank, which was half gone when I had the tires put on. Today starts my first full tank with them and I'll see where I'm at after this tank. I've averaged between 10-12.5 with my normal daily driving so as long as I stay in that range, I'd say no impact. The real test will be what do they do on the highway. I may have a chance to hit the highway this weekend; I'll report back with more details if I do.

Since their doesn't seem to be a ton of info or impressions available on these yet, I'll continue to update this thread over the life of the tires with my impressions.

For posterity, I'm running them on a 2500 CCSB 4x4 w/ 6.4L. Truck tips the scales empty at about 6800lbs. The size I'm running is the OEM size of LT285/60r20.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I want these tire so bad but in the 305/70/18. Can't wait to see how they wear, as I have the same truck as you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45