Keep it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 Ram 4x4 Laramie with 159,000 miles on it. It has given me absolutely no problems except the dreaded manifold bolts, but that was covered under my lifetime powertrain warranty.

The truck looks almost new and isn't costing me a thing. I know my powertrain is covered. I did my 5 year inspection and have another 2 years before my next.

My original plan was to drive it until the wheels fell off. I know the value is decreasing quickly with NADA showing about $18k.

I feel like I am in a now or never situation if I wanted to trade it. I could trade for something a few years old, but would likely not have any warranty.

Anyone else in this situation? I can't imagine repairs to cost as much as a truck payment. Temptation is tough, but I really don't want to be held down with payments again

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you really are against the monthly payment then i would say stick right where you are. If you have a lifetime warranty on it then milk Chrysler for every cent lol.

The thought of getting a new truck is very tempting of course. You could also mosey on down to a dealer and see if they have anything on the lot. Just make sure to have a price range in your head before you go in and make sure not to let the dealer take advantage of you. One thing to remember is you almost always have to expect the dealer to give you less than what you actually think your trade is worth. You might be able to negotiate it up from there, but they will start in the toilet. To them a truck that is almost 10 years old is practically worthless even if its in good condition and well maintained. Of all the vehicles ive traded in my life there was only one where the dealer met a trade value that I really thought the car was worth on the first shot.

Good thing is, there are always sales to be had on Rams. They have the best discounts of the big three.

You also might consider holding off on trading until the 2019 Ram comes out, but then again its best to wait until the second model year or later of a new generation.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think they will really give you that much as trade in yes it might be loaded but it's just have too many miles and not worth that much.

If I were you I would just keep it and since you have the lifetime warranty that should give you peace at mind if something were to go wrong

Good luck

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO - you have waited this long. Wait another year and get the new body style.... keep that until the generation after.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was in a similar situation . I wish I just kept my truck ,owned it out right and bought another and had two . My son will be driving in a few years And I could of passed the owned the truck down to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I will probably keep it. They keep wanting to talk when I go in for an oil change. They can't believe it is an 09.

If I ever traded, I would use the power train warranty to my advantage. I would tell them my truck might cost them quite a bit if I keep it. LOL They really don't expect people to keep trucks, so the lifetime warranty isn't really a threat; until someone uses it.

I know they would hate to have to put a new motor or tranny in an 09 truck and not make any money off of it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
159k basically trouble free miles and you have lifetime warranty. seems to me like you have yourself a winner. i would keep it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
RAMROY, wow, the options you have. i would keep it and get my challenger. i agree with above, its not worth the trade in figure you mention. that being said, if they offer you a really sweet deal, and i mean really sweet, go for it. nice to be in the position to not have to do anything.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Unless you are just Jonesing for a new truck, keep it. I trade out all the time, and sometimes I wish I had just kept a truck and enjoyed it.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 09 Ram 4x4 Laramie with 159,000 miles on it. It has given me absolutely no problems except the dreaded manifold bolts, but that was covered under my lifetime powertrain warranty.
The truck looks almost new and isn't costing me a thing. I know my powertrain is covered. I did my 5 year inspection and have another 2 years before my next.
My original plan was to drive it until the wheels fell off. I know the value is decreasing quickly with NADA showing about $18k.
I feel like I am in a now or never situation if I wanted to trade it. I could trade for something a few years old, but would likely not have any warranty.
Anyone else in this situation? I can't imagine repairs to cost as much as a truck payment. Temptation is tough, but I really don't want to be held down with payments again

Man,
You are in the best position possible.
Truck is paid for (I'm assuming), you have the lifetime PT warranty, you KNOW All the truck history and I take it you treated it nice and not abused it. The truck is in good shape, so why part with it and trade that for a big unknown or a new truck and fat payments?
As long as the truck runs and serves it purpose I wouldn't budge an inch.

Resist new truck fever. The new ones are not much better than what you have.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd certainly keep it also....no payment (start putting money away for your next ride). I seen these truck with over 300,000 miles and still running strong. They are pretty solid and trouble free. You no doubt would not get anywhere near it's real value on a trade and it sort of hard to privately sell a vehicle with over 150k miles....

Even if the tranny goes out, its still a lot cheaper than a new truck, especially is it is in as good of a condition as you have indicated.

Also, if you bought a new Ram, it would look pretty much like your current one....I would at least wait for the new body style just so I felt like I bought a new truck!!

kw_rc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RAMROY, wow, the options you have. i would keep it and get my challenger. i agree with above, its not worth the trade in figure you mention. that being said, if they offer you a really sweet deal, and i mean really sweet, go for it. nice to be in the position to not have to do anything.

That was my approach. Ram is paid for so I picked up a '16 Challenger Hellcat. Love them both!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Another vote for keeping it. Especially with the max care. Only reason I even look is because mines not 4wd but I love having the title in hand. Mines a 2010 with 165k

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I would do it keep paying yourself the monthly payment, or what it once was and use that for repair and replacement in the future when the truck has pasts its expiration date.

Either that or go buy another fun vehicle to drive daily and use the truck as a second vehicle. Go buy something like a challenger, mustang vette or camaro and have fun with it

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I would do it keep paying yourself the monthly payment, or what it once was and use that for repair and replacement in the future when the truck has pasts its expiration date.

Either that or go buy another fun vehicle to drive daily and use the truck as a second vehicle. Go buy something like a challenger, mustang vette or camaro and have fun with it

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ A second vehicle to have fun with and let your truck have even more trouble free years in the household. My '15 is 2.5 years old and only has 20K on the odometer. Gets used for hauling and vacations only. No payments on it now and that makes it run better too. My Mini is my "errand car".

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my 09 has 196k on her. I bought used but will have her paid of soon. we plan to keep it for my son when he turns 16 and just get me a little gas saver for work commute.

If ti were me, and there are no foreseeable major issues, I would keep it.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's bad ass man! My 2014 just rolled 100K with NO issues!! My 2010 had 125K with no issues when I traded her in for my 2014. Hopefully I can hold on unil the newer model appears.

Bluto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds to me like it is forced induction time :party36: