keeping records under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitey22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys I decided to do all my own oil changes I was just wondering how everyone was keeping there records for warranty. I just want to make sure they are acceptable if I ever have to go in.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Not sure how FCA views things, but i keep a log of the date, mileage, work done and mileage next service is due. I would think with that and reciepts for your oil and filters that are dated, should suffice.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I keep the receipts for the oil, filter and incidentals in my truck folder.

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How likely would I be to get coverage on a drivetrain issue if I bought a used truck from a dealership (non Dodge/RAM) with 40,000 miles, but zero maintenance records?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ask and see. You might be limited to a drivetrain warranty. I wouldn't bother with anything other than a Chrysler warranty.

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask and see. You might be limited to a drivetrain warranty. I wouldn't bother with anything other than a Chrysler warranty.
Currently I don't have any issues, my question was more of a hypothetical and I should have said powertrain, not drivetrain. It was advertised as having the remainder of the 60k mile powertrain warranty, but there are no maintenance records. If the engine failed tomorrow, would they tell me i'm SOL with no maintenance history?

I am a fleet manager and have dealt with several failure on commercial vehicles and they almost always ask for maintenance history, even when the vehicles are well within warranty coverage based on age and/or mileage. I am hoping they aren't as strict on consumer vehicles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would ask the dealer. if the truck was maintained by a dealer, the records should be in the computer regardless of which dealer serviced the truck.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always thought keeping records would be good to have for trade in. When I traded my 14 in on my 17 I brought all the records with me but they didn't want them. When I traded my 12 in for that 14 they asked if i had all the records, which i did not. Same dealer, same sales person.

Last edited: