Key Fob 2014 Bighorn NO key start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK... so I got this RAM last August. So far I have just passed 40K miles total, but I have only put 6K on her. So I was reading on here about key fobs. When I bought used from a dealer, I insisted on an additional fob as part of the deal as it only came with one. So now I have played with the functions of the fob... I have remote start, and I can use the removable key to open the door. However I can insert the key into the dash start button, and the dash lights start to function, and it will turn, (have to push it in and turn) but it will not start the RAM.

What good would giving the key to a valet be if the key does not start the RAM?

I have taken out one of the keys and had a locksmith make a duplicate... it is a full size key. It does unlock the door. I hid that key so if I should lose my keys I will not be locked out, but I still cannot start the RAM with it. I have taken the second fob and put it under the rear seat so if I do loose my first fob, I can find the hidden key, let myself in and retrieve the second fob.

What do YOU DO in a similar situation?

Jeffnc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram
Engine
You give the valet the fob, and you lock the glove box with the key, keep the key with you

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So having a key is worthless for starting the RAM???

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
You can buy a special key that will start it as well. It is a key that is cut to the lock, and the handle of the key has the chip and the little notch that a fob has to start it. Find a locksmith to sell you one and cut/program it.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
You can buy a special key that will start it as well. It is a key that is cut to the lock, and the handle of the key has the chip and the little notch that a fob has to start it. Find a locksmith to sell you one and cut/program it.

wait, we can get a normal key for our trucks that have keyfobs????

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
wait, we can get a normal key for our trucks that have keyfobs????

No. It's just a key that can open the door and start the truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170426-202427.jpg
    Screenshot_20170426-202427.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 24

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
No. It's just a key that can open the door and start the truck.

A key that will open the door and start the truck.

Doesn't feel like a banana in your pocket, doesn't "PANIC" if you lean forward in your Lazyboy, doesn't start your truck accidently.

What a novel freaking idea.