Key Fob Blues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 HD 2500 with 61K miles

For the last 3+ years my fobs have generally worked well. Every 1-2 months when I unlock and go open the door the alarm will go off which is definitely a PITA but I just chalk it up to "electronic gremlins".

About a week ago I noticed my fob being less responsive and would only work when I was right at the truck and/or pushing the button repeatedly. I really don't know which helped - closer or more pushes.

So, today it just completely stops working for opening doors or remote start. The real kicker is when unlocking manually (even after locking manually) the alarm starts screaming until you put the key in the ignition and turn it.

Of course, I replace the battery and it's the same story - nothing works. One interesting thing is when I push the "unlock" button, the dash lights up so it's getting a signal. Just not locking/unlocking doors, or remote starting or "panic" alarm. So, I get home and grab my second/spare fob and everything works perfectly. I'm stumped as to what's wrong. If the fob is bad I get it, but why does the dash light up?

I called the dealer and of course, even with my lifetime Maxcare warranty, key fobs are excluded.

Anyone experience something like this?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ thats fckn awesome!
Someone needs to sticky that!!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I called the dealer and of course, even with my lifetime Maxcare warranty, key fobs are excluded.

I don't think your dealer is correct. Key Fobs get their own paragraph in the list of components covered under the Max Care warranty.

"KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if any part of this covered component is not available, recoverable or operable, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB."

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think your dealer is correct. Key Fobs get their own paragraph in the list of components covered under the Max Care warranty.

"KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements, and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if any part of this covered component is not available, recoverable or operable, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB."

Thanks... I'll look into this. The guy looked up my VIN and said it would have been optional to purchase (kind of like the tire/wheel thing) and I didn't buy it. I don't remember it coming up but it was almost 4 years ago.

It would be so unlike a Ram dealer to try to blow off a covered repair :roflsquared::roflsquared:

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmm - I just looked up the paperwork and mine says they are excluded. I wonder if there were changes after I purchased in 2014?

FMcDaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was having the same problem but it would only happen once or twice a week. At 4:30 in the morning setting the alarm off after unlocking the door was getting old pretty quick. Believe it or not, my problem was my Accurite Weather Station. I have a 2014 Laramie Limited and my wife has a 2017 Accord Sport and just so have that one evening hers didn't work either. That is when I notice my inside Weather Station was trying to pick up the signal from the outside part the has the wind, temp, and rain gage on it. After it found the signal, everything worked fine. Just to make sure, I pulled the batteries from the weather station to make it get the signal again and I'll be damn if they didn't work. Evidently the signal must block the signals from the keyfobs.
9983c31feb649755f0ecafa6d34dc8fb.jpg
4f4575b4d40f7f59e68dd953a325e679.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CostaRam's post worked for me

Thanks again CostaRam for your Help

Last edited:

PaPa_Brewskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My Dealer Also refused to replace bad Key FOBs under MAX Care. I just looked up the Max Care website, and indeed, it state that Key FOBs are covered with no deductible. I'm calling a different dealer tomorrow.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I just checked my Maxcare warranty and it says the same exact thing about the key fobs. The dealership I bought my truck from provides lifetime fob replacement at no extra charge as a service to it's customers.