Key Not Detected while on dealer lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to start this thread because of a Key-n-Go Problem.
Ordered a new 1500. When it came in, the dealer found a dent in the roof.
They said they would warranty the new paint on the roof for the life of the car, so I agreed to having them fix it. I wanted a 4x4 Crew cab with 6ft box, and none of the dealers had any on their lots, and did not want to wait another 7 weeks.

THEN...While it was in the body shop, it would no longer start.
It gave "Key not detected", but it would start if you used the FOBIK to push the start button (this is the override). The bodyshop and sales manager had no idea that you could do this when I showed them how. When they got it to the service bay, the tech said the DTC showed "Ant 2, shorted to ground". This is in the passenger door. When I checked last night, I was told that was fixed.

So now they are supposed to detail it, and I can pick it up later today.
My last truck was a 2000 tundra with 82K miles, and has NEVER been to the dealer except for a O2 sensor recall. We are not off to the best start with this RAM, but I sure do like how it looks.

Dan

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about the troubles!

Did the dealer get everything fixed?

All is good. The paint job on the roof matches exactly.
The work order shows that the Tech replaced a "hub". I think this is kinda like a router for the CAN bus. But it starts fine, and I was able to bring it home.

Fun times ahead....as long a NO MORE PROBLEMS.

Dan

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
thats ****y to here. mine did that the other day. i have push button start sitting in a parking lot all of a sudden key fob not detected WTF my keys were on the console and wife had hers. shut it off....no start...go outside truck lock with fob and unlock..started up..crazy i tell ya.

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Longhorn All Options
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
I have had a similar quirk happen to me too....

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had a similar quirk happen to me too....

Not that this solves a intermittent problem, but do you guys know that you can bypass the "Key not detected" by using the FOBIK to push the start button. There is a RFID chip inside. This also works if the battery in the FOBIK is dead.

Dan

fcbubba

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that this solves a intermittent problem, but do you guys know that you can bypass the "Key net detected" by using the FPBIK to push the start button. There is a RFID chip inside. This also works if the battery in the FOBIK is dead.

Dan

Have to ask...what is a FPBIK???

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

ya same here, don't quite fallow what you mean, ive also had the issue only once, stopped for gas, went to restart when done and got key not detected code, hit lock button on fob and it went away and all was good

Rockgt302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler had some big issues with their systems in the 2012 300's. Cars were just dying on the roadway if they stopped in traffic. I couldn't tell you many we had to pull of the expressway for that. Most of these fobs do this once in awhile. My ford did it, my wife's Volvo and New Infiniti have done it. Some times you have to walk about ten feet away and come back, kinda stupid though.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, cause we needed more technology to replace the key/ignition/lock systems. After decades of use, they just weren't reliable anymore.

Congrats on the truck. Hope that's the end of the quirks for you. :)

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

FOB is one word (acronym) for a security device. Like your Auto-alarm Key FOB. FOBIK is "FOB-Integrated-Key".

This is the system where you leave it in your pocket to start the car.
The Push button on the dash is called "KIN" Keyless ignition Node".

The Standard Keyless entry system is where you put your FOB into a socket, and turn it like a normal ignition switch. This socket is called "WIN" Wireless Ignition Node". The FOB for this has the RED panic button on the same end that goes into the WIN.

There is a price to pay for convenience. I really love not having to find the keys in my pocket to start the car. This is one of the reason I got the RAM.

Crap...Just noticed I had a typo in my other post...now I know why you asked about FPBIK....Sorry...

Dan