Learned something interesting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I posted a reply earlier that my one dislike on my '16 truck is the paint quality. When parked in the right light the box has shadowing in it, but all of the cab is good. The color is Granite Crystal.
Well for grins, today I ran my VIN to get my build sheet, and on the build sheet it states "vendor painted cargo box". That explains the difference in paint quality.
I would have thought that it would go down the paint line as a unit.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Wonder what that is meant by vendor painted cargo box. Came in damaged and was repaired? you are under warranty I'd question that on a brand new truck

paint quality is bad on mine but thats from the factory.

OP
OP
SKS 800

SKS 800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered the truck and saw it come off the delivery truck, and I tracked the delivery, so I know it wasn't damaged between the factory and me. My guess is it might have something to do with it being a 3500 and how the rear is ordered, open frame or box.
The dealer said they would repaint it for me, but I don't trust dealership body shops to do a good job, so for now I will live with it.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Yeah I had my roof repainted by dealership and it's junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
From my experience, most dealerships don't have a paint shop of their own. They "contract" it out to another nearby non-dealership shop to do paint work, and sometimes both body and paint work. So a dealership could have a fantastic reputation in everything else, and a terrible rep for body/paint work, or vice versa, unfortunately.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just depends on where you are. My roof on my 14 was repainted under warranty and my dealership didn't have body shop so a outside Chrysler approved shop did it and it was alot better than the factory paint job and guaranteed for life. And my wife backed into a guy and had her bumper repainted on her Altima at the dealership paint shop and I was very impressed as her car has the perial and it matched very well. I have also had bad luck with some local shops I'm pretty picky when it comes to my paint. Some times you get lucky some times not so much.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well for grins, today I ran my VIN to get my build sheet, and on the build sheet it states "vendor painted cargo box". That explains the difference in paint quality.
I would have thought that it would go down the paint line as a unit.

Wonder what that is meant by vendor painted cargo box. Came in damaged and was repaired? you are under warranty I'd question that on a brand new truck

paint quality is bad on mine but thats from the factory.

every build sheet says vendor painted cargo box, at least from what ive seen. no clue exactly what is meant by it though. if the dealer re-painted part of your truck, it would NOT be on your build sheet, FYI.