Lifetime powertrain warranty, yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The dealer I purchased my Ram from, offers a "free" lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch to their "free" offer, is all service and maintenance must be done at one of their dealerships. Normally I wouldn't complain, but when scheduling an oil change (every 5,000miles) and tire rotation, they quoted me $100/conventional, and $140/synthetic oil + $10/tire (all prices before tax).

Do y'all think it's worth it to spend $140-$180 every 3-4 months, just to keep the lifetime warranty? I know having that warranty could save me thousands, but over the course of a 10+ year ownership, it's going to cost me a decent chunk of change for something I may never need.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No. Have to schedule it weeks out, have to take off of work to get it done during their hours, they take around 1-2hrs for a fkin oil change, overpriced, too much of a hassle.

Id look into just buying an extended warranty.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are going to rake you over the coals with maintenance.

OP
OP
Little Red

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the input guys. It looks like a trip to Walmart for some Mobil 1 extended miles + matching filter, is on tomorrows list. I'd much rather spend $54.87 every 10,000miles, than $140-180 3-4 times a year.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shop around the net for the best price on a Mopar warranty. You can by from ANY dealer not just the one you purchased from.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Around here, the dealer charges $79 for a full synthetic oil and filter change and $12 to rotate all four wheels/tires. The EVIC will recommend an oil change about 8-10,000 miles.

If you look at the cost difference, you can buy a bumper to bumper warranty from Ram for the difference, not just the power train and it's good at any Ram dealer.

OP
OP
Little Red

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Shop around the net for the best price on a Mopar warranty. You can by from ANY dealer not just the one you purchased from.

I it was suggested by another dealership to contact Ram directly, about warranty purchases.

Around here, the dealer charges $79 for a full synthetic oil and filter change and $12 to rotate all four wheels/tires. The EVIC will recommend an oil change about 8-10,000 miles.

If you look at the cost difference, you can buy a bumper to bumper warranty from Ram for the difference, not just the power train and it's good at any Ram dealer.

My last dealer charged $100 for synthetic oil change, filter, tire rotation, and preventative inspection. They also only scheduled me for 7500mile intervals.

I'm currently shopping around for warranties. I never had a problem with my previous ram, but I like having a fuzzy safety blanket to cuddle with. Lol

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
That's high for an oil change. I have a lifetime warranty on my wife's Subaru and it's only $70 every 6000-7000 miles with free tire rotation. I would shop around if I was u

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with a maxcare elsewhere. Then you can have anyone or even yourself do your maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 4 free oil changes from the dealer and I get them done at 6 months/ 6k miles. If your dealer would extend the change interval to 6 months spending $200/year for conventional oil changes doesn't seem unreasonable to me if it gets you an unlimited warranty IMO. That's less than $20 a month. And yes, conventional oil will be just fine. If the dealer is putting it in it will be warranteed guaranteed. As for tire rotation I take my vehicles to the local walmart and have a lifetime rotation/balance done for $40 initially and after that it's free.
Didn't realize you said all maintenance must be done at a dealer. That can become expensive. However, looking at my owners manual it doesn't seem like a lot of maintenance is required if you drive reasonably. I'd be tempted to get it if i kept my vehicles 10 years.

Last edited:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a Maxcare and get free oil changes. At least I did. Plus, dealer gave me 4 more free for a minor screw up. For what your dealer charges, in a year you could afford a warranty !!

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, $100 for a conventional oil change, lol. The dealership I've been taking mine to charges me about $45.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i pay $80 for 4 conventional oil changes at my dealer. i can actually use it at any chrysler dealer not just the one i bought it from.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year is your truck? If you have a certain year they come with 100,000 mile power train warranties.. If you don't plan on keeping your truck for that many miles than don't purchase any extended warranty and get better prices on oil changes and tire rotations elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Consider how much the average lifetime warranty costs. I'm pretty sure most pay over $2k for one. I realize $100 is a lot for an oil change but if he spends a total of $200 a year on oil changes (every 6 months) it would take 10 years to cover the cost of the lifetime warranty, plus, after it's "paid for" with the price of the oil changes he's essentially bought a lifetime warranty and gotten 20 free oil changes.
Like i said in an earlier post he could go to walmart for a lifetime tire rotation and balance. Pay $40 for the first rotate/balance and they're free after that.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Consider how much the average lifetime warranty costs. I'm pretty sure most pay over $2k for one. I realize $100 is a lot for an oil change but if he spends a total of $200 a year on oil changes (every 6 months) it would take 10 years to cover the cost of the lifetime warranty, plus, after it's "paid for" with the price of the oil changes he's essentially bought a lifetime warranty and gotten 20 free oil changes.
Like i said in an earlier post he could go to walmart for a lifetime tire rotation and balance. Pay $40 for the first rotate/balance and they're free after that.
Lifetime warranties are valid everywhere. His is only valid at that dealership and will be gone if he misses one.

What if he moves?

It's a scam because they're lacking in the service department.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Max care life time warranty, It doesnt say that you have to use the dealer for all work. Just have to show work was done. Either receipts if you do it yourself or another garage.

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
^^^^^^ I have the Max Care Lifetime as well. Mine says the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
The dealer I purchased my Ram from, offers a "free" lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch to their "free" offer, is all service and maintenance must be done at one of their dealerships. Normally I wouldn't complain, but when scheduling an oil change (every 5,000miles) and tire rotation, they quoted me $100/conventional, and $140/synthetic oil + $10/tire (all prices before tax).

Do y'all think it's worth it to spend $140-$180 every 3-4 months, just to keep the lifetime warranty? I know having that warranty could save me thousands, but over the course of a 10+ year ownership, it's going to cost me a decent chunk of change for something I may never need.

NO.

The Fine print will have an escape clause,which you will never know about, until such time as you need to take advantage of that warranty. Something like you MUST follow all routine maintainance, as written, in teh manual. Or keep receipts for all work done,even when done at that dealership, something. You are betting against a dealer, whose sole mission is to make money, any way he can. yes, he would liek to set you up so you always come to his dealership when you need anything but, odds are you will move out of his area within 10 yrs or trade your vehicle in less than 5-7yrs, so really does not care.

Buy an factory warranty, online. good anywhere.