Lifetime powertrain warranty, yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't opt for any pricey warranty plans. Just the basic that came from RAM. Aaaaand....I don't even have a catch can. I guess you can say I am living on a razors edge! :D

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The dealer I purchased my Ram from, offers a "free" lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch to their "free" offer, is all service and maintenance must be done at one of their dealerships. Normally I wouldn't complain, but when scheduling an oil change (every 5,000miles) and tire rotation, they quoted me $100/conventional, and $140/synthetic oil + $10/tire (all prices before tax).

Do y'all think it's worth it to spend $140-$180 every 3-4 months, just to keep the lifetime warranty? I know having that warranty could save me thousands, but over the course of a 10+ year ownership, it's going to cost me a decent chunk of change for something I may never need.

Not worth it IMO. Not all of them are like that. I bought my wife's van in White Bear Lake, MN theirs came with a million mile warranty. I read it over and it does not require you to do maintenance there. It covers powertrain only but still not a bad deal that they include on all new vehicles.

Last edited: