Lifetime Warranty...or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take delivery of my 2014 Ram 1500 Limited with air ride in about two weeks.

I'm sure the dealer will try to sell me the lifetime warranty, which I hear is typically about $2,100.

I never buy extended warranties, but if I can get a good deal on this, I'm considering it, particularly with all the high tech gizmos and air ride suspension which concerns me.

What do you guys think, and what is the best deal I could possibly get this for?

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck getting dealer to go that low without taking frills from warranty like the free oil changes.
Not saying it can't happen but heard of very few people getting that price anywhere but online.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
There was someone on here a little while back who got an extended warranty, for like 700-900 I don't remember the details of it though, do a search for warranty I'm sure it'll pop up in there somewhere. Its one of those things that if you can get it cheap and you plan to hang on to the truck for a long time is probably worth it. But I know at the price they were trying to charge me I passed. I might look again at some places online that offer factory warranties when I get closer to mine expiring.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the lifetime warranty a full bumper to bumper warranty or just drive train?

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Drive train only

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
If you can go on line to the dealership website and get internet pricing that's the only way to hold them to that price. Do they have a BDC department you can talk to?

Ram14Stud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 !!!!
Yeah I was offered a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for 4K... I declined cause I rather use that money on a future lift kit lol...

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The extended warranties are rarely carried by Chrysler themselves, the dealerships are brokers for 3rd party companies when it comes to these extended warranties. You have to read the very fine print on what they will cover and what YOUR requirements are for keeping that warranty. I know a few people who went to claim on their extended warranty but because they had oil changes done at a different dealer and they weren't 'approved' first they were denied their warranty claims. Get everything in writing and educate yourself before doing any warranty required servicing... oh, and don't expect to be able to mod your truck.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
was never offered a lifetime warranty but my dealer wanted something like $3400 for an extra 3 years which i believe was bumper to bumper but i can't quite remember

also as said above the extended warranty is often through a 3rd party and actually has nothing to do with the manufacturer. you also have to really watch out for loop holes such as even going slightly over the oil change interval voiding the warranty. i got burned by that 1 myself on my last car, i had a single oil change where i went something like 20km over the recommended km between changes then a year later had an issue and they wouldn't honour the warranty because of that 1 time i went slightly over. i've also seen some fine print saying all regular maintenance has to be done at the dealer that sold the warranty

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
chrysler does in fact offer a lifetime. however not all dealers sell it.

Downrange

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CREW CAB 2500 LARAMIE
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Paid $2k for the Chrysler Lifetime MaxCare warranty for my nre 2014 2500 Laramie 4X4. Price on these warranties are negotiable. Worth every penny in my book with the 4X4 drive train and all the electronics.

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Paid $2k for the Chrysler Lifetime MaxCare warranty for my nre 2014 2500 Laramie 4X4. Price on these warranties are negotiable. Worth every penny in my book with the 4X4 drive train and all the electronics.

I am debating which one to get on my new vehicle. The LifeTime seems great, but it isn't transferrable, and I tend to go through vehicles rather fast. The 8/120 would probably suit my needs the best. Also, some of the lesser years 100K plans have a money-back guarantee option, where if you don't use them at all by the expiry of the plan, you get your money back.

Could be a good hedge if you get lucky and not need it.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did a ton of research and ultimately bought a Lifetime Max Care for $2185.

Keep in mind you don't have to buy it at time of delivery. You have at least to 12K miles/12 months... possibly longer. And you can buy from any dealer that is offering it. I bought mine online from some dealer in Michigan. Remember this as the finance guy's family eats based on how many warranties he can screw people with for an inflated price.

There are 3rd party warranties but stick with the Mopar/Dodge/Ram one and you get service from any dealership.

The warranties can be powertrain only or bumper to bumper. Also, they can be for certain miles/times or lifetime. All of these factors affect the price you pay for it and you can get whatever you need/want. It ultimately comes down to how long you keep vehicles and if you want to do a bunch of mods that my void the warranty. If you're an old boring buy like me who keeps his truck stock and for a long time it can be a good deal. They are banking of people trading cars every couple years or doing stuff to the trucks that get them out from under coverage.

In general, laugh at the dealer and tell them to go flock themselves when they try to push a 4K warranty of any type on you. It is highway robbery. Again, I paid $2185 for my lifetime bumper to bumper so use that as a guide. No matter what the finance guy tells you, you have time after delivery to purchase. There's no need to make a decision while in the cubicle. They prey on the emotion of buying a new vehicle and it should be illegal.

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Ya...no.
You can always buy the extended warranty later. Putting a warranty on at the time of sale means your paying the same interest on that same charge for the term of financing.

eg. $2500.00 @ 4.9% over 60 months. Get my drift?

Lifetime isn't all you think. If the repair is worth more than the truck... good luck.

There's all sorts of loop holes and conditions so they can deny it or get out of it. Trust me, they've covered their asses pretty good on that scam.

It's not transferable either. Won't help you if you try to sell the truck.

For me it's a no-go. I just bought a 2014 JK Sport Feb. 20/14. It didn't even make 400 km's before it got a 4.5" lift and 35" tires. At 2000 km's it had 4.56 gears put in it.

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Statistically speaking, extended warranties are not worth it. They would not be offering extended warranties if they were losing money on them.

Warranties are also problematic from an aggravation aspect. Years from now when you have a major breakdown and want warranty coverage, that is when the warranty company will try to deny your coverage for some minor infraction or your inability to prove you performed all the proper maintenance on the correct schedule and did not abuse your truck. Maybe the warranties being offered by Ram are not this way but you will always have that hanging over your head.

Also from an aggravation perspective, warranties never seem to cover the things that actually break. There is almost always some little caveat, some little loophole, that gives them an out. Something along the lines of covering all driveline components except for failures due to normal wear. Or rust protection coverage that only covers "rust through", not surface rust, which means you'll drive a rust bucket for years until it finally rusts all the way through (after the warranty is over). Or coverage that is pro-rated by mileage, which means they pay you little to nothing when you have a failure later on.

Warranties place you into a box. You cannot make modifications to your vehicle without risking coverage. Your truck will never be all yours to do with what you want; someone will always be looking over your shoulder.

You would be better off holding onto your money.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I got a mopar max care warranty for $995 when I bought my ran used. Gave me 5 years unlimited miles on the btb.

Sent from the interwebs using 1's and 0's

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Not sure this is still true but under the older lifetime Mopar warranties, you were required to pay a yearly inspection fee and then required to fix whatever they found in order to keep the warranty. Something to keep in mind as well.