locked out with keys in it fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I managed to do this with my Jeep Cherokee, pushbutton start; went to go kayaking so I threw the key in the center console and locked the door. All previous tests of this told me no problem, when I put my hand on the handle it'll unluck like it always does. Well for whatever reason this was not the case. Thankfully my brother's place was only about a 10 minute walk, was able to call Uconnect and despite my trial being up they did an emergency unlock at no cost.

I like the idea of keeping a door only key somewhere on the vehicle, maybe under the body in a magnetic case or somewhere in the bed.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A little off track--forgive me I'm old--In the late 70's I worked for a real ahole. Locked his keys in his car while at work. Had to call a locksmith--charged him $100 to come unlock the car. Boss bought a magnetic key holder and an extra key and bragged to everyone that he would never have to worry about not having an extra key again. I asked hm where he put the "hidden key" and he smiled and said----under the hood. I couldn't bring myself to tell him where the hood release was-----:naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next time take 10 minutes and activate ur uconnect app on ur phone- and unlock it with ur phone- just a thought.

you kids and your tech...

I have enough apps etc.

I like the spare key idea better

I helped build the old school ...that's why!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HAHA spare key in the wallet or hidden in the magnetic holder under the truck somewhere.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For both my vehicles I have a normal, old fashioned metal key which I keep in my wallet. It won't start the truck, but it will open the door!

-K

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used to repo for a living. There are some cars and trucks that will not unlock when you press the unlock bottom on the door. This is only after the doors have been locked and you have exited the vehicle. Toyota and Lexus are the worst.

steve s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smart idea on the door key spare. I will do that this week. But has anyone considered ordering a pre-programmed spare fob from the dealer, to hide under the frame in a hide-a-key box? Not sure if this is even doable, and might be pricey.

Thanks.

steve s.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Smart idea on the door key spare. I will do that this week. But has anyone considered ordering a pre-programmed spare fob from the dealer, to hide under the frame in a hide-a-key box? Not sure if this is even doable, and might be pricey.

Thanks.

steve s.

They are transponder fobs, so if someone was to hotwire (or on the push start, just push the button) they would be able to get away with the truck (not exactly sure of the range of the fob, but I it may be possible).

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They are transponder fobs, so if someone was to hotwire (or on the push start, just push the button) they would be able to get away with the truck (not exactly sure of the range of the fob, but I it may be possible).

A couple of months ago my in laws were visiting and drove away my wife's Grand Cherokee with NO key FOB in the car. I am not sure how it happened, but somehow the car was started and in the shuffle the keys were left in the house. They literally drove 10 minutes away and then realized that they didn't have the key...

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
on every vehicle I own I have a key hidden somewhere
easiest way is to duct tape 1 to the backside of the license plate it will never fall off and a good screw driver only costs a dime
brianj

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1.99 magnetic key hider.. double sticky tape in case the slide cover somehow comes off.

all you smart asses take note:

I am only accepting positive comments for the remainder of my life.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Once started you can drive until you run out gas without the fob, assuming you can stand that annoying chime for that long

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Is trusting your wife with her own key heresy?