Long trip preparation questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Archer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
A few friends and I are going on a road trip in August. We are going to take my truck as it is undoubtedly the nicest vehicle of the five of us going. I know to check the fluids and tires and all that jazz, my main concern is elevation changes. Starting in San Antonio where the elevation is 600 feet, we plan on going to Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and Seattle. All of this is significantly higher elevation. Also we have to pass through Denver to get to anywhere. Is there anything special I have to do to my truck or just turn it on and drive?

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Turn it on and drive. the elevation changes will not hurt a thing.

However whenever going on a long trip it is always a good idea to take the essentials because we all know these are machines and machines can break no matter what elevation. When i go on long trips i keep some oil, antifreeze, flares, jumper cables, and some tools just in case. You'd hate to be traveling into the high elevations and blow a radiator hose or something and have no way to fix it. Oh and don't forget the duct tape and zip ties. You can fix almost anything with duct tape and zip ties….

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have been cross country 4 times with my Ram and in July it will make 5.

The highest elevation you will probably encounter is just over 8,600 feet on I-80, Sherman Summit. Easy climb west bound but a little steeper east bound, not a big deal.

As mentioned have your truck checked out before you leave, double check your tires. I always have the dealer check my front end ball joints and tie rods and a look at the drive train. Also do a run-a-round of all your vehicle lights, brake lights, license plate head lights tails and blinkers.

A check of the belt and hoses are a must as indicated before and also as mentioned some repair tools and misc. items are a smart precaution.

OP
OP
Jack Archer

Jack Archer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
All my lights are good for sure. I like lights so everything must always work. Everything on the truck should be good. Only had it since February. But I'll still get everything checked out just for reassurance.

Sent from the past five days in the future just now.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bring a good camera and get some truck action shots!

Tappin It...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my tips for a road trip:
If you think you won't need it, bring it.

I always bring my tool set with me, I have *knocks on wood* needed it when I had it.
However, the times I left it at home, something stupid breaks, and if I just had a 17mm wrench, oh life would be great.

Make sure your spare tire is in good shape.
Drop it down, clean it up and make sure it holds air.

I always give my truck a complete detail before and after a road trip, that's up to you.

OP
OP
Jack Archer

Jack Archer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Well, I may get to do a "pre road trip" road trip. My parents and I are going to the Grand Canyon again next month. Moms truck is acting up. Sounds like theres a bunch of crickets in it. Something with the air conditioner most likely. A couple other minor things also. My truck is next up in line for going. Dads three quarter ton will suck down gas faster than a ****** in vegas sucking, well you know. So unless her truck gets fixed it looks like Im up. Would be nice to get out and see what this can do.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On top of all the other really good suggestions i like to keep a spare surpentine belt in the truck just in case. Those eliminator power booster packs are pretty handy too but with a new truck you shouldn't have to worry about that.